IGNORED

Tupperware removal for valve check

Bob Boro

Hi! I want to check my valve clearances. I was going to remove the front cover without removing the Tupperware. I can see that the work space is very tight. Does removing the Tupperware make removing/reinstalling the front cover easier? I know I can also find TDC by turning the rear wheel in high gear. What would you do? 2003 R1150RT. Thanks for any advice! Bob

Your '03 might have the black plastic cover guards? The 3 screws are kind of tucked underneath and access might be hard with the tupperware on. Otherwise, I don't think you'd have to remove it.

What would you do?

I don't recall ever checking the valves between a full service. So I always pull the plastics off.

However if I needed to check the valves in between a full service I would leave the plastics on and just pull the valve covers and maybe the spark plugs (makes turning the engine easier).

If you have the plastic valve cover guards you can cut down a allen wrench to remove the one limited access screw.

Stan

Hi! I want to check my valve clearances. I was going to remove the front cover without removing the Tupperware. I can see that the work space is very tight. Does removing the Tupperware make removing/reinstalling the front cover easier? I know I can also find TDC by turning the rear wheel in high gear. What would you do? 2003 R1150RT.

Evening Bob

You don't need to remove the front (belt cover) to do a valve clearance check.

You can use the arrows on the cam chain sprockets to find TDC (OR) just remove the spark plugs & use a pencil in a spark plug hole.

Once the spark plugs are removed just put the trans in 6th gear then use the rear wheel to turn the engine over until the pistons are at TCD (then) check the loose valve side (THEN) use the rear wheel again to rotate the crankshaft one complete revolution & check the other side.

I'm aware of the pencil method and the timing hole with the OT mark while rotating the wheel but I am unfamiliar with the arrows on the cam chain sprockets. What do I need to do to view the cam chain sprocket arrows? I used to work on an airhead but never on an oilhead.

I'm aware of the pencil method and the timing hole with the OT mark while rotating the wheel but I am unfamiliar with the arrows on the cam chain sprockets. What do I need to do to view the cam chain sprocket arrows? I used to work on an airhead but never on an oilhead.

Evening Bob

Once the valve covers are removed then just looking is all that is needed.

camsprocket.jpg

Archived