IGNORED

SLC Utah Question

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Might be looking at this area.

Other questions for those living there aside, are there any issues with municipal water sources and other utilities?

I've had to travel there a lot, just not too recently, and am familiar with a couple good and so-so areas. Would be working near Bacchus.

Yes, there are issues with water. Much depends on exactly where you land. Some of the water has issues with dry cleaning solvent (TCE) in Salt Lake proper. They dilute it to keep it below drinking water standards.

City of South SL has a lot of non-toxic bacteria in it's water.

The Kennecott Mine is leaching toxic metals into the groundwater on the west side of town. It's involved with superfund.

Sometimes some of the water districts have summer watering restrictions, and rates can be high.

Again, it all depends where you land, exactly.

But water is not the big issue. Poor air quality is estimated to cause 2000 excess deaths per year along the Wasatch Front, and is the biggest reason we left. Winter time inversion traps particulate matter (pm2.5). Increased summer heat has led to increased summer time ozone.

So glad to be out of there!

As mentioned the air quality can be terrible at times, and I don't see it improving. The geography of the area and the area's weather patterns combined with a large and growing population makes for a bad situation.

The only solution to the problem for locals seems to be to wait for a change in the weather to blow all their nasty air to others.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You could live up in the Park City area or up a canyon, if you have mucho dinero. That gets your home out of most of the inversion pollution, but you drive a lot more if you work in the city.

The beer is horrible.

MB>

Epic, Squatters and Uinta all make some fantastic beers in SLC.

Had Uinta IPA.

At 4% I found it lacking body and flavor. To each his/her own.

Last time to Torrey found me at the State run liquor outlet next town up and purchasing beer made in California, of course taxed to Utahs limit.

Kinda archaic rules. Limiting alcohol and ABW severely handcuffs brewers. Not a deal breaker for most wanting to move to Utah though.

Back to your reg scheduled thread.

MB>

• 2 weeks later...
Danny caddyshack Noonan

Relo on.

Yes, I will try some beer and post a suitable connoisseur review from a "1 is my limit" beer aficionado.

Got to try to get the RT out there before Torrey so that I can, maybe, make one of the meets............finally.

The riding is superb from April to November. You will be in heaven in that regard.

Wolf Creek Pass

Mirror Lake

Alpine Loop

Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons

Mt Nebo Loop

S. Utah

and on and on.

The Torrey is also top shelf. There are numerous routes. Consider linking up Nebo Loop to Fairview-Huntington Canyon to Sweeper Madness for a fall color run.

Consider Wolf Creek Pass to 191 to the Energy Loop-Huntington Canyon to Sweeper

and numerous alternatives ranging from 4 to 10 hours.

Danny caddyshack Noonan
Consider Wolf Creek Pass to 191 to the Energy Loop-Huntington Canyon to Sweeper

Might have done that in two pieces, couple of years apart.

191 northbound from the coal fired plant. I40 both E/b and w/b. 6 in both directions past the plant.

Definitely some roads I wanted to explore, but was doing more point to point riding.

Wolf Creek Pass is UT-35 from Woodland to Hanna. It parallels I-40.

Mirror Lake is UT and WY-150

Nebo Loop

The Alpine Loop is UT-92 from Alpine to US-189 via Sundance.

Sweeper Madness is UT-72 from I-70 to Loa

Fairview/Huntington Canyon is UT-31 from Fairview to Huntington

9-mile Canyon runs from roughly Myton n US-40 to roughly Wellington on 191. It was being paved when we moved and the paved part was nice. I would check local conditions and be aware it was being opened for oil and gas so might have truck traffic, if the industry hasn't gone bust again. Many pictographs.

I do miss the riding.

Archived