IGNORED

Big Guy Jacket

DR  Major

I'm a good size 54- 6'4", 315 lbs, 37" sleeves, 54"+ stomach...18"+ biceps---size 13 hands, 14+ boot.

So, I'm in the market for a new "winter" jacket to replace older Belstaf that lets too much air in now.

What fits a big guy?

Would like it to be Goretex or similar. I do not like coated clothes as they do not breath and I end up wet from sweat.

The Aerostich Darien is high on list. Klim might be if I rob a bank.Also, Klim has many models- what would you suggest?<$1k.

Mainly ride road and back dirt roads. GSA/LT.

Suggestions?

First Gear Kiliminjaro. They semi-recently revamped it and it comes all they way to 4XL. Talls to 2XL . Previous versions still out there, they went to 3XL in talls.

You'll seldom use the fleece liner, if you do, put the liner on, zip it up then put the jacket over it.

Leaving the liner attached to the jacket is torture.

I sold the Kil for 20 years, it's a 3 season jacket in most climates. Then a FG Mesh-Tex for summer.

MotoPort uses a lot of Kevlar, and Kevlar doesn't breathe at all, they incorporate stretch materiel to help with breathing but in SC where humidity will be an issue, a big man like me would turn into a giant Haggis in no time.

The FG 4XL Is probably the right size, it will fit a 37 sleeve and the 3/4 length covers up a multitude of potential sins.

First Gear Kiliminjaro. They semi-recently revamped it and it comes all they way to 4XL. Talls to 2XL . Previous versions still out there, they went to 3XL in talls.

You'll seldom use the fleece liner, if you do, put the liner on, zip it up then put the jacket over it.

Leaving the liner attached to the jacket is torture.

I sold the Kil for 20 years, it's a 3 season jacket in most climates. Then a FG Mesh-Tex for summer.

I'd agree with this assessment. I think a lot of people bypass the Firstgear stuff for whatever reason, but I've had a Firstgear jacket and I have the Firstgear touring suit and I've been very happy with both of them. Sure, it's not "real Goretex," but their house version of breathable fabric seems to work fine. I didn't have a Kilimanjaro jacket, I had the one a rung down the price ladder (I don't remember the name), but I had my eye on the Kilimanjaro jacket for a long time...until I got the BMW TourShell jacket (which is also great but a bit more expensive).

I think you won't be disappointed if you go with Firstgear.

Danny caddyshack Noonan
MotoPort uses a lot of Kevlar, and Kevlar doesn't breathe at all, they incorporate stretch materiel to help with breathing but in SC where humidity will be an issue, a big man like me would turn into a giant Haggis in no time.

I'd be happy to show you my (mesh), and my wife's (stretch) gear, to let you see it firsthand to dispel whatever bad information you've gotten.

Moreover, kevlar fiber doesn't breathe because it is a fiber, a thin fiber. A kevlar pressure vessel doesn't breathe because it is augmented with an impermeable layer to seal it. Otherwise, it would breathe.

I'd go with the aerostich, myself. I got my money's worth out of my roadcrafter suit years ago, and Id buy another in a heartbeat. They may have your size on the shelf. See if they do, and ship it out to try it on. Then order the colors or custom alterations you need.

Personally, I really like the stuff available from First Gear. I'm 6'2" and usually hang out about 230-240, but I have very long arms and broad shoulders. Most XL gear doesn't fit me. I either have to get it to fit my arm length (with a huge jacket body), or get it fit my body and end up with sleeves that come half way up my forearms when I bend my elbow. First Gear is one of the few manufacturers that offers Tall sizes. Their XLT jackets fit me like a custom cut jacket. Plus they are much more affordable compared to something like Motoport, Aerostich, KLIM, or BMW gear. (note: all of my gear is either First Gear purchased new or BMW gear purchased used)

My cold weather jacket is a XLT Kathmandu that I have worn down to the single digits with a heated liner underneath. I'd buy another one in a second. It has been all day waterproof when it needed to be and fits great even when layering. Once upon a time I also had a Kilimanjaro, it was also a great cold weather jacket. Mine lasted a good 10+ years until I gave it away when I found my Kathmandu on clearance.

• 2 weeks later...

Motoport is totally breathable. I have a 3/4 length mesh jack that I wear year round. I just add liners as needed. My jacking is a 3x. I would not have anything else

Archived