Rotor recommendation?

Aram

2014 R1150RT. Rear rotor is almost at wear limit. Can you recommend an aftermarket replacement? Fronts have plenty of life left in them, and I can't see any reason to invest big bucks for the back.

Thanks,

Aram

Braking, also sold on some markets as Sunstar.

Great, great product: I've been using them for over fifteen years in the most diverse applications.

They will outlast by a fair margin the cheese ones BMW uses at the factory. :grin:

2014 R1150RT. Rear rotor is almost at wear limit. Can you recommend an aftermarket replacement? Fronts have plenty of life left in them, and I can't see any reason to invest big bucks for the back.

Thanks,

Aram

I picked up a Chinese rear rotor from eBay in 2014, and it's holding up great. Prices are all over the place, but I threw out the lowest and highest, and ended up picking one for ~$80.

Thanks -- looks like Braking brand rotors are easy to come by in the US.

Aram

The rotors are made in Italy but the parent company is Japanese, so you get the best of two worlds.

I hope you are as happy as I've been with them. :thumbsup:

If Braking not available in the U.S., price the stock replacements from EBC and the one from Spiegler.

I've had an issue with EBC rotors in the past. As manfactured, they are not as thick as the the OEM part. In other words they are undersized to begin with and will reach minimum thickness in a few thousand miles, especially if you use aggressive brake pads. I would suggest you mic them before you install them.

If Braking not available in the U.S., price the stock replacements from EBC and the one from Spiegler.

I've had an issue with EBC rotors in the past. As manfactured, they are not as thick as the the OEM part. In other words they are undersized to begin with and will reach minimum thickness in a few thousand miles, especially if you use aggressive brake pads. I would suggest you mic them before you install them.

Well, this inspired me to get a set of EBC's off the shelf and do some measuring. The MD653 (1150 rear) and the MD844 and 848 (front) mic out at 5mm each. The same as the spec is for new rotors from BMW according to the factory service manual.

A few thousand miles, really?

I'm surprised. I put EBC rotors on my VFR, paired with their HH pads (notoriously aggressive) and never experienced anything like this. Actually I loved them. Maybe you got a bum set or something counterfeit?

Aram

Rotor recommendation? Don't replace them.

My 2000RT hit the wear limit (4.5mm?) early on and I couldn't see any reason to replace them just because of a note in the manual from the people who sell rotors. They ran down below 3.5 over what I thought was fair mileage (maybe 100k miles) with no issues whatsoever. No pulsing, no heat discolouration, no worn pads falling out of the calipers, no lack of brake fluid in the reservoir, no lack of effective back brake (well, no more lack than there was from new).

Unless you've got a braking issue I'd be leaving them alone. I eventually replaced mine maybe six years ago with ones from Motobins (Galfers perhaps) only because I was feeling guilty and wanted to buy the bike a present over the winter. Unless the 1150 bikes are built to a lower standard than the 1100s (which I don't believe) I think they are the same around the rear brake.

So my recommendation is to save your money for something that will make a difference like a couple of sets of new tires for a good riding year.

Well my view is different.

I have run rotors below the 4.5mm. Although it is not critical, there are risks and one of my discs had cracks appear between the holes drilled through the 'swept' surface of the disc.

So, just keep your eyes open when you do your weekly maintenance/wash/whatever!

Rotor recommendation? Don't replace them.

My 2000RT hit the wear limit (4.5mm?) early on and I couldn't see any reason to replace them just because of a note in the manual from the people who sell rotors. They ran down below 3.5 over what I thought was fair mileage (maybe 100k miles) with no issues whatsoever. No pulsing, no heat discolouration, no worn pads falling out of the calipers, no lack of brake fluid in the reservoir, no lack of effective back brake (well, no more lack than there was from new).

Unless you've got a braking issue I'd be leaving them alone. I eventually replaced mine maybe six years ago with ones from Motobins (Galfers perhaps) only because I was feeling guilty and wanted to buy the bike a present over the winter. Unless the 1150 bikes are built to a lower standard than the 1100s (which I don't believe) I think they are the same around the rear brake.

So my recommendation is to save your money for something that will make a difference like a couple of sets of new tires for a good riding year.

My mother thought she could safely disregard the discs on her Peugeot being below service limit.

She radically changed idea after one cracked. ;)

I'll take the caution Boffin and go have a good look at both my old rear rotor, and both my fronts. It will be interesting and potentially frightening if I find any cracks. I've been thinking of replacing the fronts anyway as they are both thin, and coming up for their second set of buttons.

As for Peugeot components, none of them earned the best reputation here in Canada. Maybe it was the climate. Maybe they did better in Quebec.

Archived