Right hand rattle on start up

Marc01

A couple of years ago I replaced the left hand cam chain tensioner, on my 2002 R1150RT. Now my right side is making the rattle on start up. If I leave my bike on the side stand for the day and start it up. It will rattle on the right side for a few minutes. If I leave the bike on the center stand for the day and start it up, it is quiet as. The oil level is between the cente dot and top of the view glass. The tappets are spot on. I do not think it is the throttle body, as the noise goes away after two or three minutes of being started and it is only when the engine is cold.

Can I use the updated left hand one on the right, or is there an updated on for the right?

Thanks for the answers.

Marc

Morning Marc

The R/H side comes up from the bottom so it needs to be slightly different to retain oil. (so you cannot use the 1200 L/H on the R/H side)

You can try a new tensioner piston & spring (not that expensive) as that usually is enough to stop the rattling (very easy to get to the R/H side tensioner.

In that past I have also shimmed the internal tensioner spring with a thin washer to slightly increases spring force & that sometimes helps.

• 3 weeks later...
Morning Marc

The R/H side comes up from the bottom so it needs to be slightly different to retain oil. (so you cannot use the 1200 L/H on the R/H side)

You can try a new tensioner piston & spring (not that expensive) as that usually is enough to stop the rattling (very easy to get to the R/H side tensioner.

In that past I have also shimmed the internal tensioner spring with a thin washer to slightly increases spring force & that sometimes helps.

So the spring is there till oil pressure builds up, right? After that, there would be no need for it.

Dan.

So the spring is there till oil pressure builds up, right? After that, there would be no need for it.

Afternoon Dan

Sort of-- the spring does keep some tension on the plunger until oil pressure builds up BUT the spring also adds to the oil pressure force so both oil pressure & spring pressure added together are in play to keep the chain tight.

How thick is the shim that you used on the right cam chain tensioner to stop the rattle? The right cam chain on my 2004 RT has started to rattle occasionally. I will lathe out a shim if I have the thickness.

Afternoon BoisePilot

Darn good question. Years ago I measured & posted the thickness somewhere but never wrote it down in my data archives.

I basically just used a brass washer that fit in the cap (about spring outside diameter.

About all the shim washer does is make up for the lower spring tension due to chain & chain guide wear. As those wear the piston moves out decreasing base spring tension.

So if your chain has stretched & the chain guide has worn to allow .030" piston movement then you basically need a .030" shim washer. Problem is in trying to figure out how much the parts have worn.

I doubt you can shim it enough to increase the spring tension enough to hurt anything but you have to be very careful to not it shim it so much as to get spring coil bind (piston needs to be able to move in the bore as the parts heat & cool & change dimensions)

How thick is the shim that you used on the right cam chain tensioner to stop the rattle? The right cam chain on my 2004 RT has started to rattle occasionally. I will lathe out a shim if I have the thickness.

A couple of years ago, I put in two M6 washers, held together with some grease, so that the do not fall inside the engine. It worked like holly water - it did not do good, nor bad :)

Dan.

Archived