What year R1200RT should I consider?

ezryder1528

Ok, I finally decided on an pre-owned R1200RT, problem is what year? I know they went to a water/air cooling in 2014, but does that mean that I SHOULDN'T consider say a 2012 or 13? Are any year model stand out as "trouble-free"

Am I worrying needlessly? What about all the extra's like ESA II electric suspension, the different RIDE mode system, computer, etc what is recommended? Have there been any particular issues with electronics or mechanical's that I may need to consider? Can someone offer me some sound direction?

The 2010-2013 versions seem to have a good following. The final drives seem to be less of an issue, along with less trouble with some electrical gear. While I could never fall in love with the looks of these RT's, this is what I would have gotten had the new wetheads not arrived. Really comes down to budget. If you ride a lot and can justify the expense, you will NEVER regret either a used or new 2104 and up RT. I think these are going to be a very good thing to build back the BMW reputation for exceptional engineering, performance, and reliability.

I'm with Terry and think the Camhead.

It is a very cool in the temp sense to ride, has a great sound, is simple to maintain, a blast to ride, and very reliable. You can change the ergos to suite you and there is a ton of aftermarket stuff.

Lastly is reliably. I've put over a hundred thousand miles on two Camheads and both have been bullitt proof never leaving me stranded. Only thing I worry about is the driveshaft. While I think it a common issue,I haven't had any trouble with my two Camheads. Did lose a driveshaft on an '05 Hexhead at 62K miles.

Bill

My 2014 was recalled four days after I bought it. My dealer loaned me a 2011 to get me through those tough times. so I had both side by side and rode them more or less in sequence.

To me the WC 2014-2016 ones are orders of magnitude better. More power, different (and to me, better) seating, throttle by wire, much better display, and some other stuff I can't remember.

I'm putting about 25K a year on mine. Having a full time and demanding part time job is holding me back.

Before I purchased my 2012 RT I put together a list of must haves and don't wants. My previous ride (2002 Kawi Mean Streak) gave me some insight towards what my next bike would be, it suffered from short range among other things. High on my must have list was it had to be Air Cooled...no more radiators. The only time I have been left stranded on the side of the road was on the Blue Ridge Parkway...the plastic thermostat housing on the Meanie had slowly been dissolving over the years and finally failed, allowing the coolant to spray all over the bike, quite a steam show! It happened late Saturday afternoon of the July 4th weekend. A trip to Wally World secured a magic marker, hacksaw, sandpaper and some Blue Streak epoxy that got me going for a few days until I could get a replacement housing.

The 2013 GS's were in the showrooms and reports of the 2014 RT's being wet heads convinced me to buy a new year-old 2012 while they were still available, NO REGRETS. I have not tried a Wet Head, no desire to as the Cam Head meets all my wants and needs. My 2 cents.

YMMV

I have never had a bad experience with any RT I have owned; 96, 04, 05, 07, and 15. The R9 I had used the camhead engine and it was a wonderful little motor.

I have seen some incredible prices on camheads, both local Atlanta dealers had one with prices that almost tempted me to look at a used bike instead of 15... well till I rode the 15.

The 2010-2013 versions seem to have a good following. The final drives seem to be less of an issue, along with less trouble with some electrical gear. While I could never fall in love with the looks of these RT's, this is what I would have gotten had the new wetheads not arrived. Really comes down to budget. If you ride a lot and can justify the expense, you will NEVER regret either a used or new 2104 and up RT. I think these are going to be a very good thing to build back the BMW reputation for exceptional engineering, performance, and reliability.

Let me try posting again. In regards to the 2014 and up RT: I bought a brand new 2015 RT, it handled so badly the dealer agreeing and after many attempts to fix it, gave me another brand new one same color same options. This one to handles badly too though not as bad, wavering in curves to a point of being scary. The dealer has tried to fix this one too without success, new shock, alignment, tire pressure, etc. So it now basically sits in the garage now 9mo old <2500mi on it. Can't afford to trade it and I wouldn't sell it to another individual. BTW... both of them had leaking rear shocks and BMW says the shocks were causing the problem... not still have it. So for now I ride my good old 1997 VFR.

They were the stock ESA shocks. The dealer ordered new ones from BMW, one for the first bike they took back and one for my current one. They installed the new shock under warranty. I do have to say that the new shock did help on straight the aways but not the curves. Has to be bearing, steering head, front forks or something. Maybe I can try the lemon law thing if they have it here in FL.

I'm not the only one with this issue. I've had a few folks on this and other forums saying they have this issue. One guy traded his in on a new GS. Also it seems that the ones with issues were built in the 1/15-4/15 time period, so it may be a assembly line issue?!?!?

I have had many beemers. All I loved to a degree. My fav was the 05 RT. Bulletproof but it lacked power. There was an evolution in that engine and as you mention the LC version. I bought a 14 and cannot be happier. A rocketship that mirrors my 05 in terms of handling (better now though) as it is truly a well designed machine. However, one cannot go wrong with any Rt that is newer like the 12/13. It all depends on money available I suppose. get one...farkle it out, ride to Phx and visit us because we ride year round here!!

Let me try posting again. In regards to the 2014 and up RT: I bought a brand new 2015 RT, it handled so badly the dealer agreeing and after many attempts to fix it, gave me another brand new one same color same options. This one to handles badly too though not as bad, wavering in curves to a point of being scary. The dealer has tried to fix this one too without success, new shock, alignment, tire pressure, etc. So it now basically sits in the garage now 9mo old <2500mi on it. Can't afford to trade it and I wouldn't sell it to another individual. BTW... both of them had leaking rear shocks and BMW says the shocks were causing the problem... not still have it. So for now I ride my good old 1997 VFR.

Wow--that's terrible. I have close to 31K miles on my 2014 even subtracting the three months it was grounded for the recall and it handles fantastic. I rode the Blue Ridge Parkway end to end plus the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway on it last year and am planning a reprise this year.

I'm not the only one with this issue. I've had a few folks on this and other forums saying they have this issue. One guy traded his in on a new GS. Also it seems that the ones with issues were built in the 1/15-4/15 time period, so it may be a assembly line issue?!?!?

I suspect that you are right about assembly line issue! I had read your posts as well as others, in the past, and in the back of my mind I was thinking that something was not assembled correctly. That is based on the fact that I, and most wethead RT owners don't have the issue at all. FYI, the production date for my '15 RT is 8/25/14. Oh, I also had a '14 RT and rode it for over 1,000 miles before selling it back to BMW, and I had no issue with that one either.

I really feel for you, and I would be thoroughly PO if I was in your shoes, because the RT handles really nice. I am very sure that FL do have a lemon law, and you should really look into it! Good luck.

Actually, Florida does not have a motorcycle Lemon Law.

But, new vehicles are covered by warranty.

For a bike that you have had repaired and still isn't fixed, there are remedies.

I would immediately return the bike to dealership (selling one if possible).

I would document each and every issue and attempts to fix it.

I would open a line of communication with the dealership and the mothership.

Hopefully the dealership will be your advocate, but don't rely only on them.

Maintain a professional, arm's length, relationship.

Do not make it personal.

If you have lost faith in the ability of the vehicle to carry out in a safe manner its intended use, you have a case.

It will be a very long, long, long, tedious process.

Refuse to accept the bike back until, and only until, it no longer has the issue.

Yes, that sux. And, yes, you will be w/out a bike for possibly a very, very, very, very long time.

Deal with it.

Communicate effectively, politely, and frequently.

Document everything. Document evrything. Document everything.

Who you spoke to.

When you did.

What it was about.

What they said, exactly.

CC emails to the dealership and mothership.

Maintain your dignity and do not, no matter how tempted you are, and you will be tempted, act in a childish, threatening, belligerent manner.

Any short term satisfaction will not be worth it.

If you really have an issue, and it is one of safety, and it truly undermines your faith and confidence in the vehicle, pursue it.

I've seen buy backs.

It does happen.

I've seen offers of new vehicles with compensation (at market value) for the offending vehicle.

I've also seen things fall apart and go to heck.

This isn't a process for the weak hearted or those not truly having a serious problem.

It will be tedious, frustrating, and possibly unsuccessful.

But it may just result in the outcome that is just, whatever that is.

Best wishes.

Car.

Believe it or not, to the best of my knowledge, not applicable to motorcycle.

"Typically, motorcycles are covered by each state’s new car Lemon Law. Lemon Laws in the following states, however, do not cover motorcycles: Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Utah, and Vermont."

LINK

Manufacturers knows this. They rely on the time and money approach, both of which are on their side.

Ergo, the need to be methodical, professional, peristent.

Best wishes.

Wow--that's terrible. I have close to 31K miles on my 2014 even subtracting the three months it was grounded for the recall and it handles fantastic. I rode the Blue Ridge Parkway end to end plus the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway on it last year and am planning a reprise this year.

Seriously? Handles badly??? Mine is a rocketship on rails!!!! It is a 14 but that shouldn't matter. The thing is amazing....Hmmmmmmm I don't understand this??

Car.

"Typically, motorcycles are covered by each state’s new car Lemon Law. Lemon Laws in the following states, however, do not cover motorcycles: Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Utah, and Vermont."

LINK

Manufacturers knows this. They rely on the time and money approach, both of which are on their side.

Best wishes.

Interesting! Doesn't seem fair does it!!!?

Car.

LINK

Best wishes.

Interesting! Doesn't seem fair does it!!!?

In which case, I'm pretty sure the Federal law applies (Magnuson-Moss). I can certainly understand how psychologically draining that process can be. Best of luck.

By chance does it have Continental tire on it? When I got mine it came with Continentals. It wondered all over the road. I got sick of them at 2000 miles, changed to Michelins and now it is like it is on rails. I know some like them but on my 14 they were just awful on tracking and traction.

The first RT I had, had metzler's, this one has PR4-GT's.

I did take the bike out this past weekend, almost all straight very little curves and like I said before it feels ok on the straights. I did switch the mode to DYNA and the extra response seemed to hide the oscillation?!?!

The dealer, after they took back the first RT, has looked at this one a few times and they say it is not oscillating so they aren't doing anything about it, but they said if they found something wrong they would fix it. I think they may be too busy to deal with me. The original service mgr told me it was all in my head.

I can take my 20yr old VFR out then the RT back to back over the same roads and I can feel the difference. I've also ridden 2 of the dealers demo RT's and I didn't feel them oscillating.

I asked what happened to the first RT I had, if they found the issue on that one or what, and the salesman said he didn't know what they did with it.

this thread has run on for quite a while, so if someone mentioned this, forgive me. i once felt something similar to what you describe. The tires had just been changed. a close examination revealed that the rear had not seated evenly around the rim. after getting it seated correctly, oscillation gone. i know it sounds simple, but...

Archived