IGNORED

Skene Photon light for front of bike

gordiet

Mine is on his website. 14' RT. He has it in the gallery photos listed as a 2015, but is the blue 14'.

I love them. Have definitely noticed people noticing me.

Ok, found the picture of your bike. Looks great!

I have the light kit and ready to install it. Where do the brackets attach. I see from the picture what they mount to. GT

I mounted mine to the lower fender mount bolt. Install was fairly easy after I wrapped my head around it. My module is tie wrapped to the side of the air box on the right side. I had to add extensions to the power and ground wires for them to reach. They look great though, well worth the effort and price.

John

Let me add that you should have specified, and received, some specific mounting hardware for your bike. For my 2015, I received a longer bolt with a spacer for use in one of the existing fender mounting bolt holes. I used the lower of the two. I ran the wires up along the brake lines with tie-wraps and routed them along the right side of the bike (from the perspective of sitting on the bike).

I removed the Tupperware from the right hand side with the intent of running the wires all the way to the back where my Photon Blaster and P-3 Modules would be housed. The problem is that the wires were too short to do that, so I used a self sticking cable tie anchor that I attached to what I believe is the airbox (just above the coolant reservoir). Then I ran the power and ground wires back (with extensions connected) so that they reached the power and ground connections I was using for the P-3 Lights. I can send pictures of the location of the PB Module if you like.

I found there is definitely more than one way to accomplish this. I used all the information I could find and worked out a solution that works. I may clean up some things at some point, but everything is working and out of harms way.

I love the lights. Well worth the time and price. I will buy these for all my bikes in the future.

I wanted more distance between the lights on this RT than what I got when mounted to the fork lower area. I like the inverted "V" look when seen from the front. Mounted to my engine bars.

DSC01738_zpshlego6m1.jpg

Looks good Terry! Thanks for all your help on the P-3 lights. In the end I did not mount them in the top box as you had. Your wiring pictures helped me a great deal though, and I used the hot lead and ground locations for both the Blasters and P-3s.

I also got the Amber Blasters for the front rather than the white as shown in your picture above. I struggled with that choice fo a good long time, but finally decide I wanted the flicker to resemble the construction vehicle lighting which I thought might get more attention here in the Washington DC area.

Anyway, thanks much for the rapid help.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all!

I'm in the DC area, have about 2k miles on my Blue 2015 R1200RT, adding P3-TS lights and Photon Blasters Y-TS-P also, so am enjoying the detail in this post.

Stuck still at identifying proper bundle of wires, will check back later and read in greater detail with bike in front of me :)

~Z

Check out the install instructions on the Skene website. There are some .pdf files at the bottom of the P-3 installation page IIRC. I used the switched power and ground shown on that sheet for both the Photon Blasters (PB) and the P-3. You will need to extend the wires from the PBs to reach those power connectors. It worked out well, but not as clean as I would like. I will probably try to clean that up more at some point. BTW, I mounted the control module for the PB to the air box with tie wraps on a double stick tie wrap mounting bracket.

I am in the Leesburg, VA area.

Hey, I ride out that way every weekend! I'm near Dulles airport :)

I did check out the Skene website, and emailed John Skene a couple of times, because the photos and information is not good enough to know which wire bundle to pull aside the 2 inches of protective wrap to use.

On the website, I do not see pdf's to download.., they may have changed it, don't know. Instead, I clicking on the link for the RT1200RT which is an shtml page. While the photo with the wires near the cylindrical connector looks similar, you cannot distinguish which bundle to use.

To his credit, Jerry replied back quickly to my email where I said: "P3-TS-P install. Did the P3 red to fuse block red/brown.But as I move back to the next step, removing 2-inch tape insulation to expose wires to connect to brake light, ground and rear turn signals, I cannot determine which group of wires from the photo short of peeling back all of them. I can tug and see where they go, and can see some colors at those junctions they connect to. I can see what appears to be a horn or alarm with two separate connectors installed. And one mounted higher. None of these seem to have the right colors. Maybe the connector going into the brake light? Looks [possibly] right from here.. need grey wire with black stripe (brake light wire), blue wire with black stripe (right turn signal), blue wire with red stripe (left turn signal), brown wire (ground).. hmm, looks like I see brown, gray, blue, red/gray which may be red/blue. I can gently tug on cable on the mass until the brake light connector jiggles, and I know which one, if that is how it could be done.

His answer let me know I was in the right area :) "The wire bundle you need is in the left rear of the under-seat area, just before the wires go under the tail section, just behind the cylindrical top case connector." and "This is right at the back of the under-seat area, in the left corner. I think there are 2 bundles here. The one you want has 4-5 wires in it if that helps." He also sent me a photo from someone who did the install, but again, it did not help in identifying the cable bundle from the others. Maybe the answer is - it is the cable bundle that goes to the brake light AND the turn signals, in which case, I just need to jiggle a bit further back.

So.. that is where I am. But will have to look at this tomorrow.. ran out of time tonight.

Awesome... much appreciate your reply. :)

~Z

not an R, but i just tapped into the parking light for power. ez.

(pic before i tucked the wires and module into the fairing.)

20160127_221011.jpg

I like how that looks for the amber Photon Blasters... I have mine attached (but not wired up yet) to the fender mounts. I may have to rethink it :)

I have a 2015 RT and did not mount them on the fender brace. I put them under the headlight fairing. They don't turn with the front wheel mounted there so the wiring is not moving all the time. I did not have to extend the wiring when mounted there. Picked up the power at the same point as the P3s on the rear.

GT

Hmm, I'm liking that idea more, GT - mounting under the fairing. What did you use for attaching them?

And, to everyone as well, any pics of how to better identify the bundle of wires to tap into would be appreciated!

Thank you!

~Z

Yes, GT, I would be interested to see your installation also. I currently have mine mounted on front wheels, but like the idea of under the fairing.

Pics??

Thanks.

I just bought the full set of front and rear Skene's for my RT. I already bought mine with the fender mounts, but that can be changed. I plan on tapping into the front turn signals with the module and make them active with the module as well.

But I would really like to see where exactly you put your front TS lights. I was going to go with them on the fender. Then I'll be adding Clearwater Darla's to my Illium bars. But I would really like more separation between the front Skenes and Darla's on the bars. Options are always good.

Well here is my problem... I can't seem to get a picture posted! I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what. I used the bracket that was meant for mounting on the fender support. There is a bundle of four red wires under the riders seat , just posi tap to connect to the red wire with the very thin gray strip. There is a red wire in the bundle with a wider gray strip so look closely to get the right one. I hooked my P3 and the Photon there. Very easy. I don't like the idea of wires moving every time I moved the bars and I think it's a much cleaner install. I'll be at the unrally. Be glad to show anyone interested.

GT

Hmm, not sure that is it. It wants you enter the URL of the image, which doesn't seem right if you want to upload from computer.

I like how that looks for the amber Photon Blasters... I have mine attached (but not wired up yet) to the fender mounts. I may have to rethink it :)

here is copy of post i made in the restoration thread i have going on motobrick.com

-------------------

went for the under fairing location. took some .5 x.5 in aluminum angle, cut 6in piece, drilled holes for the center mounting screw, light bar mounting studs and the wires. painted with a couple coats of satin chassis black rattle can paint i had in stock.

20160126_203148.jpg

mounted lights to bar, then attached to fairing using the center fairing screw on bottom. no drilling of fairing.

20160127_220947.jpg

20160127_220934.jpg

20160127_220922.jpg

wired module to take power off the parking light bulb plugs and lit it up. yeow are they bright! with the characteristic Skene flicker.

here is directly ahead. noticeable difference in brightness.

20160127_221022.jpg

going to tidy up the wiring and velcro the LED control module to the inside of the fairing.

Z,

Have you had any success? I work from 0600 - 1400, so if you want to stop by in the afternoon to look at my install send me a PM. I may have some pictures I can send if you send me your e-mail address.

John

Hi John, thanks for reaching back. I may take you up on that :)

I swung by Motorcycles of Dulles to talk to one of the mechanics I know. He confirmed what I thought I knew, but went on to say the cleaner install is to pop the tail light section off and tap right there.

In the interests of putting out better info for all, I may have him do the install and photograph it since I'll be having him put on the Iliumworks engine crash bars.

I'll get back to you later. I think a quick look at yours would be great. :)

I wondering if any of you have used the Skene front Photon blasters on a Wethead?

Specifically, what I'm looking for is one what side are the wires to the front turn signals.

My plan is to cut the feed going to the stock units. Then I will be wiring up my new Photons and the stock units to the control module so that both sets will have the conspicuous flicker to them.

My guess is that there are some wires of the same color that Skene refers to using for the P3 rear lights as turns, up front somewhere. I thought I read under the right panel. If someone could confirm that, it would save me a lot of time fishing for the wires and testing with a meter.

I wired my Photon Blasters to the same switched power and ground connections as were utilized on the P-3 lights. I had to extend the wires from the Photon Blaster module, but that was not too difficult to accomplish or route. I took all the plastic off the right side to try to run the wires inconspicuously, and keep the clean look.

My Photon Blasters are just the base model, they do not include the alert or turn signal options.

Motorcycles of Dulles is a good outfit. That is where I bought my RT. I had talked to them about doing the install, but ultimately was able to accomplish it myself.

It would be absolutely great if you could do a installation description with good pictures. I searched high and low for something like that, but couldn't find anything quite like that. I did find enough to make me confident that I could do the work, but I had to dig for it.

I wondering if any of you have used the Skene front Photon blasters on a Wethead?

Specifically, what I'm looking for is one what side are the wires to the front turn signals.

My plan is to cut the feed going to the stock units. Then I will be wiring up my new Photons and the stock units to the control module so that both sets will have the conspicuous flicker to them.

My guess is that there are some wires of the same color that Skene refers to using for the P3 rear lights as turns, up front somewhere. I thought I read under the right panel. If someone could confirm that, it would save me a lot of time fishing for the wires and testing with a meter.

My Skene lights are wired as ignition on running lamps. I didn't use the signal lights for power. I used the connector under the seat. I would be extremely cautious about cutting into wiring like the signal lights on your RT. The CanBus system could be effected in a negative way!

I agree with Terry. Hence the reason I used the same power and ground connections for the Skene front and rear lighting. The only drawback, and it really isn't one, to the switched power line under the seat just behind the tank, is that the lights remain on for a minute or so after the power is switched off. I find that by the time I stow all my gear and get ready to leave the bike the lights have shut off.

I still may investigate tapping into the power outlet on the right side of the fairing for the Photon Blasters to get rid of the extension wires I had to run to the back. I am not 100% certain that this is switched power though. The Photon Blasters draw next to nothing, so I think the accessory wires could handle it, and it would be a very short and clean connection.

Just be careful, otherwise you could have the dreaded lamp fault indicator show up and may cause other problems as well.

If I don't get any guidance, I will be documenting my install. Stick it all into PDF.

The one variance I will have is that I bought the Clearwater Canopener. So my rear brake light will be fed from that. And the power to both front and rear modules will come from the Canopener auxillary outputs. From what I under stand, that module turns off power immediately at power off, unlike some other power points. Even if that isn't quite true, I have the outputs, so I might as well use them. I don't think I'll be adding any more accessories.

I just wired up a set that converts the existing LED turn signals to running lights also, both the skene and OEM turn indicators work for signaling, and the alert feature hooked up to a double tap of the horn on my '15 wethead. No issue with the canbus, but you do need a resistor for each turn indicator wire you tie into (ordered from Skene also).

I removed the speaker cover and speakers to fairly easily access the turn indicator wiring after realizing I wasn't going to get at them any other way. Wiring was simple with the instructions Skene provided. I powered them from my fuse block.

Thanks for that tip. I'll probably try to see if the two sides of the blinker wire converge somewhere else further back. If all else fails, I'll do tap into them at the speaker point.

I did order the resistors from Skene. They just forgot to include them in my order. They should be here any day now.

Archived