IGNORED

Salida CO, UN Rally Pre-Ride and Festivities .. July 22-24

Whip

July 22-24 2016.

For all the Un Rally participants (Everyone is welcome ya don't have to be going to the UN but we may try to twist a few arms) coming from the south, east, or west....and even the North (MikeRC).

Friday night 5-9pm meet and greet with drinks and light dinner at Whipville north(our home). Truck/Taxi service will be made available for those that may wish to partake in adult beverages.

Saturday(23rd) 8am - Tour of the Rockies ( Independence Pass, Black Canyon etc.) ride leaving from the Historic downtown of Salida. GS hard packed dirt road ride also available. Cottonwood Pass, Crested Butte, Kebler Pass, then either Independence Pass or Black Canyon back to Salida. I imagine a more challenging ride can be arranged if requested.

Saturday evening group dinner at our favorite hangout in Historic Downtown Salida.

Sunday (24th)- Those that don't wish to ride 622 miles on Monday morning can get started on the trip to Red Lodge. People that want to tour some more of the Rockies can do so.

Sunday evening - Dinner at Whipville.

Monday(25th) morning 7-8am -Group ride to Red Lodge leaving from the group hotel (not yet determined). 622 miles about 11 hours with stops. We will go through Leadville over Fremont Pass through the Wind River canyon.

We have room for several trailers on our property for those that wish to avoid some of the summer heat and want to ride to Red Lodge from Salida.

Pillions that want to see the Beartooth/Yellowstone/Montana from a bike but not so much the rest of the country are welcome to ride with Mrs Whip (Louise) in our F350 while pulling a trailer filled will extra bikes and stuff.

Once I get an idea of how many people are interested I will visit some of the local hotels to get a group rate. We already have a good relationship with the Gateway Hotel from the 2012 UN Rally (Thanks again Randy)

Of course you are welcome to make your own reservations if you wish.

lawnchairboy

We plan on arriving on the 22nd. Can't wait. Both of us happy to assist with any riding or non-riding salida tasks.

We have room for several trailers on our property for those that wish to avoid some of the summer heat and want to ride to Red Lodge from Salida.

Dibs on one trailer spot ! Count 2 for hotel ... myself and George B.

I'll be riding from L.A. to Torrey, UT, and staying at the Chuckwagon on Wed.

Then on Thurs I'll be taking the fun way (UT-95--Blanding--Monticello--Dove Creek--CO141/145--Ridgway and finally CO50 to Montrose). Dinner Friday night at Ted Nelson's Steakhouse in Montrose, in case anyone else is coming through that way.

Will spend Friday conducting some bidneth in Montrose, then leaving around 2P headed for Salida, arriving 4:30-ish and landing at Whipville Norte in time for the suds and nibbles.

Dunno yet about Saturday's ride in the Rockies. BTDT a few times, and I've got my tires pretty well measured out (enough left for riding to Salida, Red Lodge and back to SoCal with about 1000 mi to spare is my guess). But we'll see.

IN for Sat dinner at Chez Whip du Nord, and will stick around Sunday sweeping, mopping, slicing, dicing, chopping, stirring, fetching and basically doing whatever is needed for Whip and Louise in preparation for Sunday Night's dinner.

622 mi on Monday is not a concern. I dunno about an 8AM departure, though. I tend to leave at sunup because I like to arrive before sundown. But I know some of you old guys need your beauty sleep. May have room for a wingman, or may wait and ride with the herd. TBD.

Excellent itinerary Sir Whip. This will be an Un for the record book. If anyone is on the fence WRT attending, this is one of those telling moments in life. You're either in with both feet, or you're an observer. Get off the fence and join us.

Whipster, let me/us know if there's anything else I or we can all do to help.

looks like this is a very unusual UnRally,two event locations back to back.

it might be worth coming just to see how far out of the way someone comes to catch both locations....

I've got my tires pretty well measured out (enough left for riding to Salida, Red Lodge and back to SoCal with about 1000 mi to spare is my guess). But we'll see.

You ain't gonna ride between now and then?

We need to talk

:P

I've got my tires pretty well measured out (enough left for riding to Salida, Red Lodge and back to SoCal with about 1000 mi to spare is my guess). But we'll see.

You ain't gonna ride between now and then?

We need to talk

:P

Yeah, I'm riding. On the 7K tires that are on the bike now. I have a set of take-offs from the Wisconsin Un that I'm putting back on for Red Lodge. I get about 9K out of Pilot Road 3's, and WI was 5K round trip. It's 1500 to Red Lodge via Salida and 1200 home to SoCal. That's close to 8K total. Maybe I should buy a new set and have them shipped to SLC to be mounted on my way home. Then they'll be dang near new for Fall Torrey.

i'm going to need to do a drop shipment too or even three, is there location in Red Lodge we would be able to use?

Send it to the Resort care of BMWST Group.

Bob (Endobobdds) and I are musing aloud (via email) about the Salida possibility, as the two of us are planning on riding out west together. Once Bob's back in town from holidays, we'll sit down and see what's in the art of the possible regarding the Salida "sojourn". There's a minor wrinkle in that I was planning on hooking up with my friend Tim, in Laramie, Wyoming, on our way to Red Lodge (Tim is coming to the Un as well; he was in Salida for the Un a couple of years ago too). I'll see whether Tim is interested in coming down to Salida first. So, stay tuned...

I am planning on being in Salida on Friday. I'm not sure if I'll be riding or hauling my bike there. I'm leaning toward using the trailer to Salida, and then riding to Red Lodge. Thanks for planning this.

Due to a change in sailing plans, I'm a definite maybe for the Whipsters, pre-rally rally.

I still won't be able to make Red Lodge, but it would be fun to meet up with some old friends and make some new ones along the way.

Due to July temps, I may trailer out and back.

Me and Nick will be there Friday. We are riding up from Austin that morning and will come up to the house after we check into the hotel. Looking forward to it.

Due to a change in sailing plans, I'm a definite maybe for the Whipsters, pre-rally rally.

I still won't be able to make Red Lodge, but it would be fun to meet up with some old friends and make some new ones along the way.

Looks like it's an IN!

• 2 weeks later...
Once I get an idea of how many people are interested I will visit some of the local hotels to get a group rate. We already have a good relationship with the Gateway Hotel from the 2012 UN Rally (Thanks again Randy)

Señor Whip ... any update?

Selden and I arrive in Fort Collins late Friday evening. As a result we will probably miss your event. Then we are going to start our 1,300 mile meandering route to Red Lodge Saturday am. Look forward to seeing all of you on Monday.

I will have the tuono there if you want to take a ride for old times sake :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like it's an IN!

Looks like it is an OUT.

I will be spending time in Seattle with my wife.

You all have a great time.

I will get back to Colorado sometime.

• 1 month later...

Just booked a room at the Gateway Inn for Friday and Saturday nights. Current plan, still to be completely nailed down, is to ride out west with Endobobdds and arrive Salida on Friday, the 22nd. We would spend Friday and Saturday nights in Salida, then depart for Red Lodge on Sunday.

My friend Tim, from Laramie, Wyoming, has signed up for the UnRally and he plans to ride down to Salida and meet up with Bob and me, so there will be three of us in town for the pre-UN festivities (Friday and Saturday). All three of us will depart Salida on Sunday.

That's the plan as of now.

By the way, for those who have not read Bob's (Endobobdds) post in the thread on April's "START" event in Helen, Georgia, Bob is recovering from major surgery. Surgery notwithstanding, Bob still plans on making it to the UnRally and to the "pre-UN" in Salida.

For anyone that would like to follow us, we are leaving for Jackson Hole from Salida on Sunday morning. No slabbing - all fun stuff, but that means it will take us all day to get to Jackson or if you choose to pull up sooner you can.

It will be me and my son-in-law, Nick, heading out at first light Sunday. We are staying at the Hampton Friday and Saturday.

Cheers!

Mrs Whip has requested a head count for Friday night's dinner at Whipville North.

Eddd...1

Azkaiser...2

Nando...1

BrianT...1

Burt...1

Francois...2

JustJean...2

Chris Olson...1

hANNAbONE...1

Fightfight911..2 1/2

LawnchairBoy...4

Limecreek...2

JohnLT...2

MarkGoodrich...2

***Chris***...2

Red Racer...2

One...2

Louis...2

KTM Doug...1

FyinFinn...1

Foot...1

Bud...1

Coarsegoldkid...2

rogera...2

Santa...?

marcopolo...?

Scout6...?

RT Russ?

40 plus ?

Who did I miss?

Who did I add that ain't gonna make it?

KIller?

I will not be in Salida, I'm hatching a plan to head to Red Lodge a few days early. Unless Janet is coming too, then we won't have time to do Salida and Red Lodge.

What kind of timeframe do we have and still be welcome? I am planning a detour through Durango, Silverton on the way up. Which might make sense to stop in Salida. Might not know for sure till the weekend before.

We will be up late and dinner will around 6 and will prolly still be warm at 10.

Just show up.

You still have my cell#?

We will be up late and dinner will around 6 and will prolly still be warm at 10.

Just show up.

You still have my cell#?

I have your number. I will do my best to give appropriate warning of impending presence..............

For marcopolo, make it a total of 3 (not 1).

The three includes me, Endobobdds (from D.C.), and my friend Tim from Laramie, WY (who's also registered for the Un).

For marcopolo, make it a total of 3 (not 1).

The three includes me, Endobobdds (from D.C.), and my friend Tim from Laramie, WY (who's also registered for the Un).

Whipster, is that deck of yours strong enough to hold us all, or are you gonna have a Baskin Robbins take a number system? I mean, that's a lot of BMW weight you're talkin' about. And from the way Louise cooks, it's gonna be Well-Fed Weight!

Whipster, is that deck of yours strong enough to hold us all, or are you gonna have a Baskin Robbins take a number system? I mean, that's a lot of BMW weight you're talkin' about. And from the way Louise cooks, it's gonna be Well-Fed Weight!

We have three months to go on a diet. :grin:

Archived