IGNORED

BMW HUD Prototype

Selden

If the HUD is integral to the helmet, you will have to replace the electronics every time you replace your helmet. As for the laser lights, Audi introduced a very similar system on their cars some time back. But those systems are not legal here in the States, and at the pace the Department of Transportation moves, I wouldn't hold my breath.

This sort of tech gets my attention. I really had high hopes for Google's Glass. There's a helmet prototype that gives you a rear view inside your helmet that looks neat. Then I remember that I need reading glasses or my bifocals to focus on anything close enough to touch. I doubt I'll ever be able to focus any display within my helmet. How about holograms projected in front of the windscreen?

The thing that immediately caught my eye is that the helmet appears to be ginormous. Maybe it's because they've used a petite model, but it may be all the technology that's crammed inside the shell. Personally, I'm more excited about the laser headlight technology that they're demonstrating.

bmw_connected_ride-3-626x746.jpg

Guest Kakugo
I thought of Dark Helmet

MV5BMjA0MTY0MzEzOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTc0MjI3NA@@._V1._SX100_SY140_.jpg

Does that then mean that with one of these helmets you can ride at Ludicrous Speed?

Buckle this! Ludicrous Speed, NOW!

Sorry, I could not resist it.

Maybe our present and former military members can chime in, but I seem to recall to use similar systems military personnel has to go through a phase of training and accustomization because using them is not as immediate as it seems due to, I think, the brain having to "reprogram" its depth perception.

Archived