Gearhead qustion

Bud

What vehicle?? Some manufactures call them rear strut arms or

rear control arms. Hope this helps.

Wait a minute, there aren't any of this on a boat. :rofl::wave:

On a Macpherson strut rear suspension setup like that they are normally just called control arms . Although you could add front and rear if desired.

Joe Frickin' Friday
suspension-unit-overhead-rear-multilink.jpg

The arms on either side that go up, what are they called?

Just so we're all on the same page (no pun intended), this appears to be a top-down view, i.e. the arms that "go up" in the picture are actually horizontal with respect to the vehicle.

And yes, they're control arms.

John Bentall

I used to call them radius rods, but they can also be called radius arms or torque arms.

There function is to control wheel movement in a fore/aft direction- which is why they can also be called control arms.

suspension-unit-overhead-rear-multilink.jpg

The arms on either side that go up, what are they called?

The arms do not go "up"; you are looking straight down at this suspension assembly so they go fore/aft. They are called various names - control arms, stabilizer links, torque arms, etc.

Inquiring minds want to know. :wave:

A friend wanted to know and I didn't know so I got the right answer from the BMWST brain trust. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

So, a little bit of trivia here.

1. The vehicle in picture is facing forward in the picture-down direction.

2. Draw lines through the two respective pivot points at the wheel axle and where the steering rack attaches.

3. They will intersect at the center of the rear axle.

4. When you turn, all wheels will be perpendicular to a common point, along the extended rear axle centerline. This is why the arms are angled as such.

Archived