IGNORED

Dummy Blocks for Brake Flush

Bob Boro

Hi! I'm preparing for doing a brake flush on my 2003 R1150RT. I can't find the article on how to make a set of dummy blocks. I tried a search several times and couldn't find anything. Does anyone know where to find this information. Other alternatives to dummy blocks? Can I use wooden shims between the rotor and pads? Is it really all that necessary as opposed to flushing without blocks? Just pump more fluid? Thanks!

Hi! I'm preparing for doing a brake flush on my 2003 R1150RT. I can't find the article on how to make a set of dummy blocks. I tried a search several times and couldn't find anything. Does anyone know where to find this information. Other alternatives to dummy blocks? Can I use wooden shims between the rotor and pads? Is it really all that necessary as opposed to flushing without blocks? Just pump more fluid? Thanks!

Afternoon Bob

The blocks are not really needed for the flushing part. They are basically to get the fluid level correct in the ABS controller when re-filling.

If you are installing new (thick) brake pads then that is usually good enough to get the controller fluid level close enough.

Problem is: if you re-fill the ABS controller reservoir's with worn bake pads in the calipers then you will overfill the controller reservoir's. Then, next time you remove the front wheel or install full thickness brake pads it will kick brake fluid out of the controller vent system.

To answer your question: yes you can just use wooden shims-- I usually just pry the brake pads back then insert cedar shims between the brake pads & brake rotors as that is close enough.

To answer your question: yes you can just use wooden shims-- I usually just pry the brake pads back then insert cedar shims between the brake pads & brake rotors as that is close enough.

+1. I got a couple packs of these from Lowes....

shims.jpg

You do have to rip them down a bit so they fit in the caliper as they are a little wide.

Archived