Florida ride

Ken S

I'm leaving next week for a ride in Florida. Picking up my RT near Lake City and heading down west side -- avoiding Orlando and Tampa areas -- to Tamiami Trial. Will pick up wife in Miami, then camping down south at Chokoloskee, Flamingo, Sugarloaf Key, then to Key West and back up East Coast to visit son in Melbourne, and then back to Lake City.

Would love to hear of good routes, side trips or places to hike or do things along the way.

Thanks

roadscholar (Bill) lead us to an awesome lunch stop a few years back in Micanopy, called what else but the Mycanopy Café. :thumbsup:

An earlier trip here.

15 minutes you can't get back but some pics I took on our similar trip.

Pat

Note to self, don't try to be cute at 4:00 am! :dopeslap: Mycanopy should of been Micanopy Cafe which is actually called the Coffee N' Cream, now, I think. Bill, I'd like to buy a vowel. :/

Pat

Can't help you with routes, but calories are my specialty.

If you are near Marathon around breakfast time, the Stuffed Pig will make you very happy. It's on the bay side (west) just south of the Airport - a tiny little hole-in-the-wall place.

It is busy season in KW, but if you can sneak into Santiago's Bodega for lunch/dinner, it too infuses happiness. It's a tapas place - full of great flavors and the best Sangria south of the North Pole. Yes, Blue Heaven is great and oft recommended, but man will it be busy...

I always go near the waterfront and grab a cortadito at the Cuban Coffee Queen stand, then just near there is Peppers who will be happy to sell you any hot sauce that you can think of. Small enough to load up the saddlebags.

Don't let your daughter talk you into doing anything stupid. Your daughter may not be with you, but this is always good advice.

IMG_0115-S.jpg

Mallory Square is great for sunsets, but even better is at Louie's Backyard at the south end of the island. Bring your wallet, go on a weekday.

louiephotosession1-4.jpg

Jake, thanks for the restaurant tips. I'll be there for a few days in feb. Haven't tried any of them...yet. :wave:

Can't wait to hear your review Marty. I know you love Marquesas - a great place.

Last time I was there once of the locals sent me to 2 Cents (on Applerouth). It is tiny, but has a spectacular little bar. It manages to be off the beaten path in the middle of everything. Belly up the bar at an off hour, have them make you their favorite designer cocktail and grab a bite. That's my Marty Hill recommendation. You'll meet new friends and be even famouser. That's a real word.

I live at MM22 and the secret, well not too, spot is the Square Grouper restaurant and its upstairs bar, My Other Joint, at 22.5, ocean side. Great food.

Here's a route south on some relatively scenic byways (a few highways) that avoid most of the congestion. You didn't say where near Lake City so I started a little west in Wellborn. Down to Port Charlotte, then you're on your own. A few good lunch spots in the north are Nooner's in White Springs, The Great Outdoor Cafe in High Springs, and the Old Florida Cafe in Micanopy (don't know about vowels but they have a killer Cuban).

It'll obviously take more time than the main routes but you'll see a lot of old Florida that many don't. As far as hiking goes google the Florida Nat. Scenic Trail, it winds all around the central part of the state, some of the sections in Ocala Nat. Forest are quite scenic, DAMHIK. :grin:

LMK if you need a return from Melbourne.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/u/0/edit?hl=en&hl=en&authuser=0&authuser=0&mid=zSGsdvmiV4ns.k30PEXH7HqZE

When I see the term "square grouper" I always laugh. In the '80's when planes were being chased they would drop the MJ bales into florida bay. They were called square grouper by us locals. I'll be in KW for 3-4 days so will try all the places mentioned. Will be good to get warm again. Jake, PM your phone # and I'll try to grab a coffee with you on the way down or back.

I'll be in KW for 3-4 days so will try all the places mentioned. Will be good to get warm again.

Ok, I want to be Marty Hill again! :grin: I believe I mentioned this place before, great Cuban food! http://www.elsiboneyrestaurant.com/

And if you want some really good New England seafood when in KW, check out DJ's Clam Shack. http://djsclamshack.com/ Ask for Doug Bell, tell him Nancy Bro..... sent ya, maybe a discount in it for you. Probably not but what the heck I'd give it a try! :grin:

Pat

Marty and Jake, please contact me when you're down here. Hope we can do a meal or beer or both.

PM your phone # and I will be in touch. Thanks.

Marty

I'll be in KW for 3-4 days so will try all the places mentioned. Will be good to get warm again.

Ok, I want to be Marty Hill again! :grin: I believe I mentioned this place before, great Cuban food! http://www.elsiboneyrestaurant.com/

And if you want some really good New England seafood when in KW, check out DJ's Clam Shack. http://djsclamshack.com/ Ask for Doug Bell, tell him Nancy Bro..... sent ya, maybe a discount in it for you. Probably not but what the heck I'd give it a try! :grin:

Pat

Dear Pat,

You don't want to me MH because I'm going on 80 soon! As to new england seafood, I'll be there next summer or fall for sure in order to enjoy the real thing. I might give it a shot anyway so thanks for the tips.

Marty

Bill, thanks for that. I remember some of the places from the mid 40's. Been to Venetian pool many times when a kid. Miami used to be a small town. My dad and I flew from key west to havana when I was about 12 or so. I fully intend to ride my GS in Cuba at some point.

I see your point, ok how about I want to be Marty Hill when I'm pushing 80! ;):wave:

Pat

How 'bout enjoying the ride at 80 ? :thumbsup:

Bill, thanks for that. I remember some of the places from the mid 40's. Been to Venetian pool many times when a kid. Miami used to be a small town. My dad and I flew from key west to havana when I was about 12 or so. I fully intend to ride my GS in Cuba at some point.

That guy (Patrick Smith) wrote a novel about a family that settled in Florida in the 1800's and it continues thru 3 generations into the 1960's. It's called 'A Land Remembered', good read, you'd enjoy it.

Thanks all for the info, and history. Looking forward to seeing many of these places.

=====

Marty, Interesting sig line. Made me think of my own:

49 states (still haven't been to Hawaii)/9 countries/3 continents

A ride in Cuba sounds very interesting, and something I'd like to do also.

I see your point, ok how about I want to be Marty Hill when I'm pushing 80! ;):wave:

Pat

Marty has never pushed 80.

Maybe 71 mph, but never 80...

:wave:

Pat

Marty has never pushed 80.

Maybe 71 mph, but never 80...

:wave:

Gave me my first laugh of the day at 0559. :wave:

Thanks all for the info, and history. Looking forward to seeing many of these places.

=====

Marty, Interesting sig line. Made me think of my own:

49 states (still haven't been to Hawaii)/9 countries/3 continents

A ride in Cuba sounds very interesting, and something I'd like to do also.

Ken, since you seem to b in atlanta lets do coffee sometime.

Ken, since you seem to b in atlanta lets do coffee sometime.

Sounds good Marty, I'd like to do that. I'm leaving tomorrow (Friday) for the ride to Florida. Plan to be back in GA around 1/20 for a week, then back to Alaska.

I'll be here till am on the 28th. I'll be in fl. for a couple of weeks after that. Might be in ak. for q bit this spring/summer.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived