IGNORED

Ignition Coil

mistral

I just removed my coils checking the valves. One of them had the rubber disintegrate when I removed it. Will coils off of hex heads work on a 2011. I see some of them on ebay. I figure they won't but I thought I would ask.

Thanks.

Ron

Danny caddyshack Noonan

The fact that the rubber fell apart is interesting. Many polymers do not do well in high-voltage / ozone environments. They'll cross-link and lose plasticizer at an accelerated rate each a big factor in the falling apartedness. Wonder if you had some spark jump causing the problem.

Don't forget the dielectric grease.

BTW, I just replaced 8 on a 2000 Ford truck engine. Because it was a multi-hour job, I checked the coil to plug fit on each one before installation and then greased them well. What a stupid design on that era engine.

The CamHead Bikes use a smaller spark plug then the HexHead and I believe a different ignition coil.

The chart shows the HexHead using the BMW-SCoil12E

and CamHead using the kit BMW-SCoil12RT.

So to answer your question-NO.

Don_Eilenberger

If just the rubber tip failed - these are usually separately replaceable, the trick is finding them. A trip to your local NAPA auto parts dealer might be productive - taking a coil with you so they can match it up.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe someone can educate me on this. I recently upgraded from a 99RT to a 2011 RT. I haven't yet pulled the plugs but hope to replace before spring. Is the ignition coil now part of the plug wire? Do I need special care or tools to pull plug wires and replace the plugs?

Yes the the ignition coil is part of, or is your spark plug cap. There is a puller for it and you need to take care pulling them. I am not familiar with the 99.

Ron

Archived