Clutch Slave Cylinder

RPG

Happy New Year everyone!

In my winter downtime maintenance, I've decided to remove, inspect and if needed, rebuild the clutch slave cylinder on my '04 RT. (80k) Actually, I'm going to rebuild it anyway because I'm anal like that sometimes. :)

[*]Where exactly should the weep hole be drilled?

[*]Is it better to just cut out a notch at the bottom of the gasket for water and leaking fluid?

[*]Where can I obtain a rebuild kit? BMW wants to sell the complete slave cylinder.

thanks,

RPG

I've attempted the "rebuild kit" only once and it was a waste of money in this case. The bike had 70 something thousand miles and the cylinder was too far gone to take the kit.

I'm sure others have had success, but on subsequent bikes the kit hasn't even been an option. We just got a new slave.

Morning Rick

Before looking into rebuild kits you might first remove the cylinder & clean inspect the push rod bearing. At 80 K there

is a good chance that bearing is worn enough that you won't

want to reuse that cylinder (bearing doesn't come in the rebuilt kits that I have seen)

Also (carefully) inspect the cylinder wall & piston for wear as that will also nix any lasting repair.

Personally, with all the work involved, I just install a new slave cylinder so I don't have to go in there again for a long time.

Some drill the trans housing, some drill the cylinder --personally I just cut a slot in the gasket (it doesn't need to pass X-gallons per hour it just needs to allow as slight slow seep out)-- the 1200RT doesn't even use a gasket.

Thanks guys,

I've had no issues with anything clutch related but just figured with the mileage that I would have a look at it.

RPG

Thanks guys,

I've had no issues with anything clutch related but just figured with the mileage that I would have a look at it.

Morning Rick

What color is the fluid in the clutch handlebar reservoir? That will sometimes tell the story--

If the fluid is clear & clean looking then your slave is probably in decent shape but if the reservoir fluid is dark colored, or has little black particles floating in the fluid then your slave is probably going to cause you problems in the short future.

Thanks guys,

Morning Rick

What color is the fluid in the clutch handlebar reservoir? That will sometimes tell the story--

If the fluid is clear & clean looking then your slave is probably in decent shape but if the reservoir fluid is dark colored, or has little black particles floating in the fluid then your slave is probably going to cause you problems in the short future.

Good afternoon D.R.,

The fluid is always clean and clear as I change the fluid annually. At a minimum I'll remove the cylinder and check out the internal components, re-grease the bearing, etc. And the feed line from the master cylinder has some rust where it bolts into the slave cylinder. I'll need to clean that up.

thanks as always,

Rick

Archived