My "New" One

moshe_levy

2015-12-25%2011.36.22_zpslpwyddco.jpg

1987 YSR50. 50CCs of thundering horsepower in a mini-replica frame. 72 (that's seventy two, period) original miles. I always lusted after these as a kid, and found this one by chance. I'm carefully going through it. It was stored nicely, indoors, for all these years. That's the good news. The bad news is I emptied 7 cups (!!!) of rusty stuff from the tank, and the carb is gummed up badly. All stuff I can fix, and then I can ride it and pretend I'm 13 again.

-MKL

That's a great find Moshe. :thumbsup:

Yamaha still manufactures something similar, albeit with more "adult" proportions.

2013-Yamaha-TZR50-EU-Yamaha-Blue-Studio-001.jpg

However it makes as much power as my smaller chainsaw... :rofl:

There's a group of locals that ride theirs to the 'First Thursday' celebration in downtown Minneapolis. It's fun to see them roaring down the street.

That's a great find Moshe. :thumbsup:

Yamaha still manufactures something similar, albeit with more "adult" proportions.

2013-Yamaha-TZR50-EU-Yamaha-Blue-Studio-001.jpg

However it makes as much power as my smaller chainsaw... :rofl:

TZR50, right? I don't think they sell them in the USA....

-MKL

There are several good products to remove rust from a tank with.

I had a terrible tank from a VF1000F that I used Rusteco product from Carson, Ca. From.

They will do it for you or you can buy the concentrate .

They have a huge vat they soak tanks in for several days.

I taped my tank up filled to the brim and rotated it every day.

This product does not touch paint, it's totally water soluble and "green".

It worked amazing. Every possible fleck of rust removed. I rinsed with rubbing alcohol let it sit in the hot sun a few days, amazing.

They guarantee results.

Rusteco.com

That is completely badass! Congrats

I'm adding a toy to my garage tomorrow as well. A sparkling red mint condition '85 Honda CB125 that has bounced around my family for 20+ years. Finally sorted out years of title confusion and should be hauling it home in the morning. Not nearly as cool as a YSR, but I have many fond memories of cleaning out the carb every summer in jr high and high school, then sneaking it out of my parents shed for some joy riding. Can't wait to legally ride it on the road for the first time :grin:

Post a pic of that CB when you get it home. When my father owned Hutch's Honda of Covington LA I had a CB125S for a demo. Must have been 1976-77. I used to ride it all over including to school before I even had a license. Loved that bike. If you ever decide to part with it...

hutch

Moshe - thanks for sharing. Cool find.

Thanks for the advice guys. If anyone is a "YSR expert" and has links and such for me to study, send 'em over!

-MKL

• 1 month later...

now that sound it a blast from the past...sounds good, makes me smile. If you would have left your camera running while you rode off in Houston...it would have been gone when you got back.

It's running really well now, with one hiccup. Full throttle for more than a minute causes it to "run out of gas" and die. I see there is gas leaking from the float bowl, so I've got to go tighten things up down there. But otherwise, yes, what a blast! Speedo registers 54mph and still climbing.

Post videos, I compounded the body panels and they look really, really good now!

-MKL

Sweet! Brings back some memories. I used to work with a guy who had one as did one of his buddies. They used to race them in a series called Nifty Fifties on go cart tracks. It was awesome racing as the bikes were perfectly scaled for those tracks. It was just as exciting to watch them as it was the big bikes on big tracks.

Towards the end of the season there would be a Can-Am exchange of a couple of races, one here at Mosport's Powell track and the other in Batavia NY. The track at Batavia, again a serious go cart track, had a banked curve that was so steep you could almost not walk it. As I remember, two of the racers, one a young boy maybe 13 years old and the second a young woman both had the advantage of lightness so that even the best riders were challenged to keep ahead of them.

Our rider friend was an excellent technical rider and would work his way through the pack in the twisties only to lose his advantage on the long straights as his machine was mostly stock and was out run by the tuned machines. While that was frustrating for him it was great excitement for us as spectators as we got to watch him work his way back through the pack almost every lap.

We used to camp at the tracks as they tended to be two day events so it was fun times. Thanks for the memories Moshe. Have fun with the little beast!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived