IGNORED

2011 1200rt no fuel pump operation

RichardSpag

Hi Guys,

I have a 2011 1200rt that has overnight decided that it does not want to start. On keying on there no noise from the fuel pump (everything else whirrs and clicks as normal). The bike has had the switch gear recall last year and I have swapped out the Fuel Pump Controller with another unit - which made no difference. Over the last few months the bike had developed a habit of 'stumbling' just off idle on an irregular basis (may not be related to the main problem, but mentioned just in case).

The bike has 70k miles.

Any ideas as to what could be the cause? My GS911 did not provide any clues for me.

Thanks & seasons wishes!

Richard

Afternoon Richard

Some of the 1200RT pumps are difficult to hear after the initial cold key-on.

If the pump definitely isn't running then pull the FPC up & disconnect the pump from the FPC, then jump 12v to the pump to see if it will run.

Is the dash coming alive & looking normal? If it doesn't look normal then make sure the side stand is up and/or the side stand switch is working properly.

Dirtrider,

Thanks for the quick response.

The pump was definitely audible before and not now. After extended attempts at starting, there was no smell of unburnt fuel from the silencer - but I suppose that I ought to pull a plug to confirm. Dash display is as normal (one reason why I don't suspect the switchgear).

I'll have a try of your suggestion (it'll give me an excuse to get away from the turkey left overs!)

Cheers

Richard

Just put a voltmeter across the output of the (good) FPC. On key on there is nothing, but when the starter is operated the output fluctuates to peaks of 9v to 12v.

Surely I should be getting up to 12v when keying on (i.e. when the pump should be priming)?

My battery is now reading 12.4v and is on charge before I start more investigations.

Any thoughts more than welcome!

Cheers

Richard

Just put a voltmeter across the output of the (good) FPC. On key on there is nothing, but when the starter is operated the output fluctuates to peaks of 9v to 12v.

Surely I should be getting up to 12v when keying on (i.e. when the pump should be priming)?

My battery is now reading 12.4v and is on charge before I start more investigations.

Any thoughts more than welcome!

Cheers

Richard

Morning Richard

Yes, you would think you should see a brief pump run at initial key-on.

You probably don't have one but my (personal) next move would be to attach my fuel pump jumper harness (I always carry one in case of FPC failure on my bike or on other's bikes). This runs the fuel pump at full speed all the time that the jumper harness is connected.

You might also try disconnecting the bike's battery for about 30 minutes-- then re-connect & do a new TPS relearn (this will clear the BMS-K).

You aren't seeing any strange messages on the dash at key-on are you-- Like EWS?

Dirtrider,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

There are no indications of anything odd on the display - just the yellow triangle and ABS warning light.

No fault codes on the GS911 (which I find odd)

I don't have a jumper lead, but thought that I could jury rig a couple of leads to a spare battery that I have. The FPC has a yellow and blue wire connector. Any idea which should be live and which should be the earth?

I will try the battery disconnect later today.

You don't suppose that this could end up being something as simple as a failing battery (just speculation at this point)do you?

Thanks again!

Richard

One thing I learned about working with onboard computers. When you have a problem and no fault or warning pops up then you need to look at the problem as strictly a mechanical issue that is not monitored or controlled by any switch, sensor or computer. I learned a long time ago not to assume how the system in question works when interfaced with computers, switches and other electrical components. Having the service manual or troubleshooting manual is always the best way to address a problem. Input from other people who experienced similar problems is priceless. Your probably on the right track in getting this problem resolved. Plenty of good advice on this forum.

You don't suppose that this could end up being something as simple as a failing battery (just speculation at this point)do you?

Morning Richard

It sure could a 12.4 volts on the modern (Gel/AGM) battery type is basically pretty darn dead.

Here is your pump wire pin-out (don't cut your wires this is just to show the +/- pump wires).

fuel_controller_rewired__zpsc6b351c5.jpg

Hmm.. after charging the battery was at 13 volts which I believe is OK.

The fuel pump works fine using a 12 volt supply.

I disconnected the battery and reconnected after about 20 minutes - no difference.

Now really confused.

Cheers

Richard

The fuel pump works fine using a 12 volt supply.

Afternoon Richard

Will engine start & run with the 12v hooked to the fuel pump?

Yup, sure does. As soon as I lost contact with the +12v the engine started to die (fuel starvation I guess), but picked up again as soon as I hooked up the +12v. Feeling 'lucky' I quickly swapped the jury rig arrangement for the FPC and it still ran without problems. Restarting after a 30 second stop worked, so I have now left the bike to cool down (following its 5 minute run) and will attempt another start up with the FPC in situ in about two hours.

Not entirely sure what I may have done to improve matters though :S

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Cheers

Richard

Yup, sure does. As soon as I lost contact with the +12v the engine started to die (fuel starvation I guess), but picked up again as soon as I hooked up the +12v. Feeling 'lucky' I quickly swapped the jury rig arrangement for the FPC and it still ran without problems. Restarting after a 30 second stop worked, so I have now left the bike to cool down (following its 5 minute run) and will attempt another start up with the FPC in situ in about two hours.

Not entirely sure what I may have done to improve matters though :S

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Afternoon Richard

Unless you find a smoking gun on this I do suggest that you make up & carry a fuel pump jumper with you just in case it happens again when you are on the road away from home.

Two hours on and it still starts! So 'job done'! Just wish I knew how the fault occurred in the first place though.

Anyhow, thanks for your useful inputs Dirtrider - very much appreciated.

Cheers

Richard

Archived