IGNORED

Brake Light Fail

Tumba bloody Rumba

Tumba bloody Rumba

G'day All, I have a 2007 R1200R on a ride last weekend the "brake fail Light "came on and stayed on? Brakes are working just fine checked my rear brake light, it's working OK? Did a visual check of sensor cabling etc. no obvious problems. Next morning the brake fail light flashed as normal after starting and went out once I moved. I rode a short distance and stopped for about an hour, when I start the bike again the brake fail light came on and stayed on. I have lust checked the bike this morning and the brake fail light is flashing again but I've not tested it by going for a ride to see if it does the same, but I'm guessing it will, any ideas? I had the front brake line replaced about 2 months ago as part of the rear drive flange recall and I've only been on about 3 overnight rides since it was done. Thanks Mark

Afternoon Mark

There are lot of possibilities on this one. Without a GS-911 to give us stored failure codes it's a lot of guessing.

Seeing as you just had the dealer work on the brakes I would suggest that you take it back & have them at least pull the brake failure codes so you know where to start looking (maybe their fault of maybe something else but without stored failure codes it is difficult to know where to start)

One possibility, especially in light of the recent work on your bike, is one of the two ABS sensors was somehow damaged. It can happen. ;)

A GS911/dealership diagnostics is the only way to find out.

Don_Eilenberger
I have lust checked the bike this morning and the brake fail light is flashing again but I've not tested it by going for a ride to see if it does the same, but I'm guessing it will, any ideas?

I had the front brake line replaced about 2 months ago as part of the rear drive flange recall and I've only been on about 3 overnight rides since it was done. Thanks Mark

The light stays on until you are actually moving on the bike. Checking it in the garage without riding it - this is normal behavior.

I don't understand the front brake line being replaced as part of the rear drive flange recall - aside from them being on opposite ends of the bike - the drive flange recall had NOTHING at all to do with the brakes.

As to your problem - as others suggested - diagnostics with a GS-911 or dealer computer are really needed. There is a reasonable chance that your ABS modulator (lives under the tank) is failing - the symptoms you describe are commonly seen when it fails.

The fix is to R&R it and send it to ModuleMasters to have them rebuild it (around $300 and 5 year warranty.) BMW gets > $1,500 for the modulator, ModuleMasters makes this much less painful.

The GS-911 will report a power supply failure to the ABS motor. That's the sign that the brushes have stuck in their holders and caused the failure. There are some DIY writeups on fixing it on the web - depends on your ability as a mechanic as to if this is a reasonable option.

Meanwhile - consider getting the GS-911. It will be one of the more useful tools you can buy for the bike.

on previous 2005 1150RT had exact symptoms. sometime on, sometimes off. after chasing several things discovered the bike was really sensitive to brake fluid level. added fluid, problem went away to never return....that might not be your issue but a real easy thing to check. If your bike has the whizzy brake assist, check that fluid level as well...

I don't understand the front brake line being replaced as part of the rear drive flange recall - aside from them being on opposite ends of the bike - the drive flange recall had NOTHING at all to do with the brakes.

Evening Don

There was a separate BMW front brake line (steel lines) recall on the 1200RT with I-ABS-gen2 braking systems. When the dealer runs the VIN for the rear flange recall the front line recall usually shows up also.

Don_Eilenberger

Evening Don

There was a separate BMW front brake line (steel lines) recall on the 1200RT with I-ABS-gen2 braking systems. When the dealer runs the VIN for the rear flange recall the front line recall usually shows up also.

DR,

Thing is - he said he has a R1200R - and that bike didn't have this recall. There were some early on recalls for the under-tank steel lines, but these should have been done years ago.

Evening Don

DR,

Thing is - he said he has a R1200R - and that bike didn't have this recall. There were some early on recalls for the under-tank steel lines, but these should have been done years ago.

Afternoon Don

My BMW recall data sheet shows the R1200R (Aug 30, 2006 to Feb 5 2008 manufacturer date) was recalled for front brake lines. His bike is within that manufacture date range.

So, the updated brake lines were never installed, OR they were but never recorded as being done on the BMW data base.

Archived