IGNORED

2015 R1200RT review

RPG

Just a quick review as I had the opportunity to ride one this past Saturday.

The bike was well equipped with Shift Assist Pro and too many other features to even remember.

Pros:

the dashboard is very easy to read and stands out

the torque of the new ngine is amazing

Idle was a bit smoother than my 80k R1150RT

Seat comfort and ergonomics

Stock shield seemed perfect for my 6'0'' frame

Fit and finish

Very intuitive controls

Heated seat

Cons:

I never did get the Shift Assist Pro to work right. Upshifts were jerky. Especially 1-2, 2-3. Downshifts weren't what I expected. I drove a new Corvette recently and was expecting it to work like the Vette's "Rev Match" feature. Probably my fault though.

Overall:

Very impressive and improved in all areas compared to my '04 RT. Not a radically different bike, just improved in every sense. I think it would be a blast at the track, especially with the torque motor coming out of the turns.

thanks,

RPG

Hello RPG. I have a 14 RT..That bike is the bomb. I too complained of the tranny even though it is smoother than any other RT's in the past. Just did the software upgrade. What a difference...LIKE BUTTER!!!! I was told the software would fix it. It did. Ask the dealer....Enjoy!

I see myself owning one in the near future. I'm starting to appreciate the looks a bit more. It seems when BMW makes a major styling change (from the R1150RT to the R1200RT in 2005), it takes me awhile to appreciate the functional improvements of the overall bike and I start to look at it 'differently'.

I think the older RT's are one of BMW's best designs but I am starting to like the look of the newer bikes a bit more.

RPG

I've owned more than one motorcycle in the past where my initial impression of it was ..."that thing is fugly" !!! :rofl:

Pat

As have I. I didn't think there was a more beautiful motorcycle around than my 1971 Sportster......until I tried riding it 50 miles.

Funny how one's view of aesthetic beauty 'matures' as one comes to appreciate the function and engineering of a particular design.

When I was a kid, chrome was king. Today, I almost detest it on any machine.

RPG

As have I. I didn't think there was a more beautiful motorcycle around than my 1971 Sportster......until I tried riding it 50 miles.

Funny how one's view of aesthetic beauty 'matures' as one comes to appreciate the function and engineering of a particular design.

When I was a kid, chrome was king. Today, I almost detest it on any machine.

RPG

Same here. I guess is just the fashion and taste changes.In the 80 s chrome was a must, just like long hair and bell bottoms. ;)

As for bikes, i liked just about any BMW except the RT. Guess what i have now ?And i love the ride.

Took one out for a ride Saturday the 12th and ended up taking it home. Kept telling myself, no more plastic bikes, don't go water cooled again, then reminded myself my friends ask if I will come along for a ride and 200+ one way wasn't fun...

checkbook on me; I should have taken the twenty steps to dump that in the kitchen, and one test ride later told me I needed to be back on a tour bike. https://imgur.com/a/oD21O

got a good discount on it, the Bob Sr and Bobby at BMW Motorcycles of Atlanta set me up... I am pretty sure they can smell checkbooks too

Gorgeous bike Chris,

I saw that color at the dealer and thought it was black....until i got closer. One of the prettiest colors ever on a Boxer.

RPG

Archived