IGNORED

Push rod end cap

AndyS

Has anyone had any experience of a push rod with a loose end cap?

If so, what were the symptoms?

Replacement easy?

Yes, some of the early push rods were noted for failing & separating or telescoping. Symptoms very but it usually starts out with noisy valve action & progresses to a telescoped push rod & severe loss of valve lash setting.

I have also seen a few elephants feet fail & cause valve noise & erratic valve action.

Define easy?-- It isn't rocket science but you have to disassemble far enough to get the failed push rod out.

Interesting BMW went to solid pushrods sometime after my '03 was made. MaxBMW fiche lists only solid one as a replacement for my bike.

11317688631_1_B.jpg

Andy - have you seen the discussion on BMWMOA? Similar question.

The good news is you don't have to take the head(s) off. Do you have a torque wrench?

Link

DR, can you define "early"?

Morning Sam

No I really can't. I thought I had a service bulletin on the push rod change/failure but can't seem to find it (or my memory is failing)

The 1200 (hexhead) definitely has the steel push rods. Even with the earlier 1100/1150 aluminum-bodies-with-steel-end-caps the push rods seldom failed.

Here is a picture of the aluminum body push rod to compare to Lee's picture of the 1200 hexhead (1150 service) push rod posted above.

BMW%20push-alu_zpscq67eeih.jpg

Thanks...speaking of failing memories, this rings a bell somewhere in my hollow head...I think there was a Chris Harris video on the subject.

Archived