IGNORED

Power outlets

AndyS

So, on the RT there are 2 power outlets.

We (wife and I) were trying to use the outlets to power our heated jackets. The Canbus system wasn't happy and shut the outlets down.

It seemed to cope with one jacket?

Anyone have any experience with running junk from these points?

BMW puts both outlets on the same circuit. Total capacity is either 5 amp or 10 amp, depending on the year and model. Either wire the controller direct (with fuse) to battery or rewire one outlet with it's own fuse.

It's called the game of life. She's hot, you're cold, you're hot she's cold. :dopeslap::grin:

That is a dumb setup, they both should power a jacket & gloves. For the record, I've never had a problem with a jacket & gloves solo on full toast.

Pat

So, on the RT there are 2 power outlets.

We (wife and I) were trying to use the outlets to power our heated jackets. The Canbus system wasn't happy and shut the outlets down.

It seemed to cope with one jacket?

Anyone have any experience with running junk from these points?

You have 10amps total (both power outlets), I'd wire it direct to a fuse block. Got to keep the wife happy. As they say Happy Wife Happy Life.

Jay

I wired the one at the right of the fuel tank to a fuse and then directly to the battery. That is easy because the battery is directly below this location. I also hardwired my horn relay and my Gerbing heat controller using this connection. This also allows me to use a conventional charger or floating charger through this outlet. The canbus outlets must use a special BMW charger that "wakes up" the outlet.

and... since we are talking about Not So Smart BMW moves...

The passenger "outlet" is in a good place... port side rear. The other outlet is on the starboard side forward.

OK fine but notice that the BMW branded Heated Vests have the power cord on the left side. This is no issue for the passenger but the rider has to stretch their cord across the tank up to the right hand side. This leaves the cord tightly stressed and the cord across the paint work.

Maybe they should try these things out when are still in the design stage.

True what you say about the rider socket Hopz.

However, even the passenger one is not that cute because it is quite a tight fit to try and plug into that socket.

True what you say about the rider socket Hopz.

However, even the passenger one is not that cute because it is quite a tight fit to try and plug into that socket.

True that... yet another triumph of "Design" over "Function".

Must be a left brain/right brain thing. Maybe someone left the door open at BMW and some right-brainer invated the think-palace.

Hans must have said to Franz... "Just put it under that back-rail thingy... no one will be able to see it back there... and since it will be so hard to plug things in... we won't have to upgrade the circuit".

I liked the location of the power outlets on my 02RT1150RT left side below driver seat. For me this is the proper location. A dash location is to run dash area mounted accessories, not your heated gear.

Jay

I had a power outlet put on my 14WC left side panel behind my leg like on my 04 RT for my heated gear , this is hooked directly to the battery w/ a 10 amp fuse , total for jacket and gloves is 9.6 amps. , I also use this outlet for the BMW battery charger saving me money because I don't have to buy a new style charger . All in all a good system and relatively cheap to install. If you ride two up you could install two power outlets in this location .

Archived