IGNORED

2015 R1200RT Faulty Instrument Cluster

bmwdavid

I inquired about a used 2015 fully loaded R1200Rt at a dealership. It has 100 miles and is priced right. They said it was traded in because it had a faulty instrument cluster. has anyone heard of the new RT having a faulty instrument cluster? Does anyone find it odd that a bike purchased in may of 2015 only has 100 miles on it? Not sure if I should be Leary of the bike.

This does sound strange. I can't believe the original owner was able to give back the bike unless it fell under a lemon law. Trading in a new bike is very costly, I'd have to have a very good reason, not a warranty issue.

If the bike is in good working order you'll be under warranty for a while so if the price is right why not buy it.

Jay

The warranty you may get with the '15 bike is the crucial point.

Before anything else the selling dealer should reveal the warranty position to you. It may be based on the original delivery date in which case you will not be getting the entire "new bike" warranty- which is what I would expect them to say.

A dealer can make adjustments if they want to... but probably cannot change the "factory" warranty. No big deal unless you travel far and wide, or move away from the selling dealer.

In any case, you might also want to know if all the recall and service advisories have been taken care of. That plus ask to see the service history on the actual bike for sale. There were several bulletins including the one on the Shift Assist... and some others I cannot recall at this moment. Be sure to ask if there is a service record for the bike. OBTW the big BMW computer in the sky keeps records on all the bikes based on VIN. There is a record... ask them to show it to you.

I do not think buying a bike like this is a potential problem... as long as you do your homework before signing the deal.

I inquired about a used 2015 fully loaded R1200Rt at a dealership. It has 100 miles and is priced right. They said it was traded in because it had a faulty instrument cluster. has anyone heard of the new RT having a faulty instrument cluster? Does anyone find it odd that a bike purchased in may of 2015 only has 100 miles on it? Not sure if I should be Leary of the bike.

Yes David, I have had mine replaced under warranty. Over 50 fault codes came up on the GS-911, mainly relating to no comms between the Kombi (cluster) and the CAN.

It is a 'known issue' to BMW AU apparently. Took 2 weeks to fix. I haven't been on any long trips since getting it back, so I can't report as to the efficacy of the replacement. The GS-911 found no codes when I checked after getting home.

PS Symptoms are the screen filling with all the warning captions, speedo & tacho drop to zero, and you get zero fuel and temperature on the respective readouts, as well as some pretty colours in their place. The bike keeps running as usual (thank god), so it won't quit in traffic or something like that.

I sold my RT because I thought a K1600GTL would be a better fit for the wife and I. I picked up a 2014 K1600GTL Exclusive with 2400 miles and find it is just too heavy and for the few times a year she will ride with me I cannot live with the added weight.

The dealer says it was traded in because at the time the instrument cluster wasn't readily available. It has 100 miles on the bike and the warranty expires 05-22-2018. Guess I shouldn't let the instrument cluster scare me away. Anyone have any idea what it may be worth? It is supposed to be fully loaded with keyless start. Does anyone know why only one post is allowed every 44000 seconds?

Pat

I've had all sorts of indecision. The first GTL was new but had issues before leaving the dealership so I traded it for a 14 RT. I didn't ride the RT much due to work so I sold it and bought the GTL Exclusive. It is very heavy and I feel the 6 cylinder doesn't have any character. It sounds great but doesn't feel like the RT. I have the GTL sold and searching for another bike. Back to being undecided until I find something.

Does it still have a faulty cluster?

If so walk away.

Dealer should have already replaced under warranty and if not, well, seems like they aren't doing things right,

YMMV.

Plenty of bikes out there w/no issues.

What's it worth....I think your post said you had your 14 for a short period of time and sold it. I would think the relative percent discount you sold your 14 for used versus new would be a good indicator of what you should pay for the 15, maybe even a little less...e.g. bought your 14 for $20k, put 1500 miles on it, sold it for $16k or 20% less than you paid. Use a similar formula deducted from the 15 list plus the 15 is now a year older....just a suggestion, but I truly have no idea what it is worth.

The instrument cluster has been replaced and it has two years of warranty remaining. I'm just not sure what it is worth.

In your first post you stated it was "priced right". Buying a used 2015 means there are not a lot of sales of 2015 models to judge by. My question would be: How much more for a 2016 with zero miles and 3 years warranty?

Then decide if having something a year older is a better buy based on how long you generally keep a bike.

As for the instrument cluster being replaced, In my mind that has zero effect on the market value of the bike. Neither does low mileage, as 5,000 miles would be "low mileage" also.

Archived