IGNORED

Tabs on Catcon and frame?

Birdman40205

Hello,

While poking around under my 94 1100RS today, I saw two tabs on the bottom of the frame with holes of about 1cm drilled in them. They correspond with similar tabs pressed into the front of the catalytic converter. I went through pages of microfiche to see if a long bolt with some kind of spacers should be going through those tabs and cat, but cannot find those tabs or what might be the part on any of the microfiche I looked at in the frame and exhaust sections. I can see the tabs on the cat, but that is all, nothing for frame. Can anyone tell me if there should be a bolt of some kind or are these tabs for service work?

Unrelated but weird, the ABS light flashes for my ride into work in the morning when the temp is in the 30's, but on my ride home, when the temp is in the 50's, it goes out like it should. Strange . . .

:dopeslap:

Regards,

Lem in KY

Evening Birdman40205

Those were used with a rubber isolator mount between frame & cat converter on some of the 1100 bikes.

Those rubber mounts are not available any longer & have been discontinued by BMW long ago.

From an old BMW service bulletin on those unused mounts--

"BMW has discontinued the rubber mounts/bolts that mount the muffler to the plate on the center stand. They have come to the conclusion that they are no longer needed as they continue to break"

On your ABS problem-- that is usually caused by low battery voltage in cold weather. Most times a shinny new battery will cure it--OR-- adding a relay triggered by the alternator to delay ABS self check until the engine is running--OR-- adding a simple push button to manually allow ABS rest after cold start will work (that was my personal way of handling the issue on my old R1100 bikes--OR-- just start the bike & ride off, then stop & turn it off & re-start after a mile or so will usually do the trick also.

Evening Birdman40205

Those were used with a rubber isolator mount between frame & cat converter on some of the 1100 bikes.

Those rubber mounts are not available any longer & have been discontinued by BMW long ago.

From an old BMW service bulletin on those unused mounts--

"BMW has discontinued the rubber mounts/bolts that mount the muffler to the plate on the center stand. They have come to the conclusion that they are no longer needed as they continue to break"

On your ABS problem-- that is usually caused by low battery voltage in cold weather. Most times a shinny new battery will cure it--OR-- adding a relay triggered by the alternator to delay ABS self check until the engine is running--OR-- adding a simple push button to manually allow ABS rest after cold start will work (that was my personal way of handling the issue on my old R1100 bikes--OR-- just start the bike & ride off, then stop & turn it off & re-start after a mile or so will usually do the trick also.

Good evening Dirtrider!

Thank you very much! You are quite a resource. I really appreciate the time you take to answer these(and other) questions!

I think I am going to start to trickle that battery a few times a week, maybe get two or three months out of it.

Thanks again!

LM in KY

Archived