Looking for a R1200RT

Etienne Lau

Hi all,

I just signed up on this forum. I currently ride a Suzuki Burgman 400 and renting a R1200RT for a couple of days to see how I feel riding a larger bike. All I can say so far is I like the R1200RT, very easy to handle at all speeds. I have 30 inch inseam, so I was apprehensive at first with the stock seat when stopping at lights. But it has not been bad, almost not worth spending extra money for the lowered seat....but who knows. Hopefully in a few months I will have found me a R1200RT that just speaks to me "Buy me, buy me!!".

Etienne Lau

I'm 5'10" with a 30" or 31" inseam, and I have no trouble with my 07 RT. I have the seat in the high position most of the time.

I can't flatfoot it with both feet at the same time, but I've found that I don't need to.

Dean

Have 30" inseam and had no issue with stock seat on my 2010 RT but couldn't quite flat foot it. I could; however, on my Wethead since the seat is cut a little differently and it's a bit lower as well. The Wethead is phenomenal but there's lots of good buys out there on Camhead bikes.

Good luck finding the bike you like, Etienne!

I have also 30 inseam, and am not happy with the lower

setting of the standard seat. I see Dean uses the high

setting, with 30 or 31 inseam! Most likely have 31 or more!

I personally like to have a flatfoot when back in or out

sitting on the bike. Is not a problem stopped at the light

or wherever, only when backing the bike. Am not sure how

much the OEM low seat costs. I like the Sargent low and,

although not cheap, will get one, especially since it has

the heat built in!

I'm 5'6" with a 29" inch inseam. I have an aftermarket seat (Sargent)in the high position and lowered pegs, and between the two they make my 62 year old knees happy. I can either put one foot on a peg and flatfoot the other, or put the balls of both feet on the ground. I do need to pay attention to the ground where I plan to stop though. Always park facing uphill (no pushing backward) and be careful not to stop bridging a dip.

Hey Etienne,

Welcome to the site, you'll find lots of good RT info here. When I bought my RT after riding a K1200 for a few years I went with the Low Suspension model and added a BMW Comfort Seat to get what I felt was the right seat height for me (30.5"). With a light 30" inseam that's what I found worked best.

While riding, the standard bike and seat wasn't a problem, but I often found my surprised when stopping on uneven ground, and it was difficult back pedaling to park curbside.

My Low Suspension CamHead is currently listed in the Classifieds for $13750 with around 3K in accessories included. If interested PM me your email and I'll send you some photos. They don't load well from my iPad for some reason.

The 2014 and newer RT is a LOT more "short inseam" friendly! Combination of lower seat height and more narrow body, it can make a nice improvement in confidence while stopped.

Just wanted to update everyone on now my second day on the rental R1200RT. The bike is absolutely amazing, cruising at 70-80 mph and short spurts up to 90 mph were effortless. Smooth and steady at those speeds. Turns out flat footing on the left foot at a red light is not an issue, and if I really stretch out, I can almost flat foot both feet at the light.

Took a risk last night and rode it into the garage, this requires slowly riding up a sloped driveway and steering around my VW Touareg that sits in front of the garage entrance. Leaving this morning, I had to move my garbage bin so I can back out of the garage and again, I had to reverse around the VW to get to the bottom of the slopped driveway, I then parked it at the bottom, to walk up to put the garbage bin back into the garage and close the garage door.

I will say that having a slightly lower seat would make these driveway maneuvers easier, especially at the bottom of the driveway there there is a slight curb which causes me to lose touch with the ground for a split second!!

Thank you everyone for your input. Looking forward to finding and owning one fine motorcycle.

Just wanted to update everyone on now my second day on the rental R1200RT. The bike is absolutely amazing, cruising at 70-80 mph and short spurts up to 90 mph were effortless. Smooth and steady at those speeds. Turns out flat footing on the left foot at a red light is not an issue, and if I really stretch out, I can almost flat foot both feet at the light.

Took a risk last night and rode it into the garage, this requires slowly riding up a sloped driveway and steering around my VW Touareg that sits in front of the garage entrance. Leaving this morning, I had to move my garbage bin so I can back out of the garage and again, I had to reverse around the VW to get to the bottom of the slopped driveway, I then parked it at the bottom, to walk up to put the garbage bin back into the garage and close the garage door.

I will say that having a slightly lower seat would make these driveway maneuvers easier, especially at the bottom of the driveway there there is a slight curb which causes me to lose touch with the ground for a split second!!

Thank you everyone for your input. Looking forward to finding and owning one fine motorcycle.

You didn't say what year RT that you had rented, but in reading your posts I think that you have one of the wetheads ('14 or '15 RT). Like you, my inseam is 30", and I can ride with standard seat on my '15 RT, and easily flat-foot with my left foot at stop (I NEVER put both feet down at stops - that's how it's always done on the old days!! :) ). However, the issue that I had with the standard seat is that on the few occasions when I needed to back up the bike, which is when I do put both feet down, it was very difficult because I would be at tip-toe on both feet! I ended up riding with the low-seat in the high position, which brings the seat height just a tiny bit lower than the standard seat in the low position, and that turned out to be the perfect compromise!

BTW, you mentioned that you don't want to pay extra for the low-seat. Well, you don't! You buy the bike with the seat that you want (standard, low, or high) at the same price. Some dealership, like mine, will let you exchange the seat for the height that you want, even after the purchase.

PadG,

I rented the 2011, R1200RT. I am looking for a used machine and not a new one.

I am waffling between the 2010+ and the 2007+, other than the engine difference, turn signal control differences, what else is different between those?

My riding consist mainly of 50 km/30 miles each way commute with speeds between 110-130 kph/70-80 mph. I will be riding year round as long as there is no ice/frost on the ground. Most likely will install a top case of sort or a tank bag.

Not sure about radio/GPS, would be nice, but I do not have either now on my Burgman 400.

PadG,

I am waffling between the 2010+ and the 2007+, other than the engine difference, turn signal control differences, what else is different between those?

My riding consist mainly of 50 km/30 miles each way commute with speeds between 110-130 kph/70-80 mph. I will be riding year round as long as there is no ice/frost on the ground. Most likely will install a top case of sort or a tank bag.

Not sure about radio/GPS, would be nice, but I do not have either now on my Burgman 400.

If you are looking for a used 2010 Low frame, Low seat CamHead, check out my friend Highway41's one for sale in the classified section.

It is well maintained and ready to ride.

Be careful - you'll find out that they are just as smooth and comfortable at 110 mph and beyond (especially if the road is smooth) - it's easy to get up there when you don't mean to if you're used to something with less power.

Your driveway sounds like a bit of a bear. Once you get into the garage would you have room to rotate the bike around in a circle (think Batmobile in the Batcave)? There are a few brands of mini turntables that you can put under your centerstand; that way you wouldn't have to back around the corner and down the slope.

I have a R1200RT, 2011 cam head with 28,900 miles for sale. You can see the ad in Cycletrader.

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2011-BMW-R-1200-RT-116228743

I have a 32" inseam and can't flat foot it, unless I stretch to do it. With its standard seat in the low position riding it 3 years it never posed much of a problem. I always was conscious of the footing when I stopped. Never stopped with my feet over a ditch or swale, or like your curb.

Always parked so I could pull straight out or have gravity assist rolling backward.

Good luck,

Larry

PadG,

Just my personal opinion - if price is a big factor, then I would buy one of the '07 - '09 era. I rode an '07 RT for several years, and love it! This past June, I went for a 7 days ride in Scotland, and ended up renting a '13 RT, which falls into the "camhead" class ('10 - '13 RT). I had found that riding the '13 RT was very much like riding my previous '07 RT, perhaps with the exception that the '13 might have a little better torque in the mid-range rpm. Quite frankly, I did not noticed the additional torque, because my riding style is such that I tend to keep the rpm in the higher mid-range end whenever I thought that I might want the maximum torque available at my right wrist.

In any case, see if you can find one with the low seat. The standard seat for the model years you want is, IMHO, a little too high. I also see that a suggestion was made for you to considered a "lowered" suspension version, and, again IMHO, you should think about that one carefully. I would not make that selection for myself, because I want my RT to be at its peak handling capabilities, and lowered suspension will compromise that. It may not matter to you, in which case that recommendation will be good. I, OTOH, drag my foot-peg quite often, in turns, and a lowered suspension would make that happen mush earlier!

Be careful - you'll find out that they are just as smooth and comfortable at 110 mph and beyond (especially if the road is smooth) - it's easy to get up there when you don't mean to if you're used to something with less power.

Your driveway sounds like a bit of a bear. Once you get into the garage would you have room to rotate the bike around in a circle (think Batmobile in the Batcave)? There are a few brands of mini turntables that you can put under your centerstand; that way you wouldn't have to back around the corner and down the slope.

Good advice on both counts! My wethead is far worse at sneaking the triple-digits speed (mph) on me without my intending to or realizing it!

My routine, when arriving home from my rides, is to ride into the garage and put the bike up on my Park-n-Move, and spin it around 180 deg. to be ready for the next ride!

• 2 weeks later...

All,

Thank you for your advise and ideas. I ended up buying the 2010 R1200RT, the one I had rented. I have ordered a low heated Sargent Seat to help with the stand over height. I bought it with the small top case, Polar Blue color. Looking forward to many miles on this new to be bike.

Archived