Pressing Matters...new addition to the shop

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

Bought a HF 20-ton press on sale + coupon. Added the HF air-over-hydraulic upgrade -sale+coupon.

Added the SWAG Off Road HD finger brake (some assembly and welding required). SWAG configures product to fit into USPS boxes. Postman almost got a hernia and thought they were boxes of ammo.

Bend video

John Ranalletta

AHP's get just as many kudos and knocks as other offshore machines. There's a guy, Mr. Tig, over at weld.com who takes offshore welders, tests them and reconfigures the accessories. Usually throws away the foot pedals and torches and substitutes good ones. He doesn't seem to have any AHP units around.

Another Youtube guy, Kevin Caron, reviews AHP machines from time to time. Likely all these guys get free stuff so, buyer beware.

http://weld.com/index.php/shop-weld-com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqT8zU8dHbswxqYcG60VPGQ

I just finished the first stage of a new project...a tubing bender. Used my Everlast PP154, DC Tig on 3/16" wall 2"x2" tube. The #9 CK flex head torch and coil got hot, hot, hot. Need a #17 torch at least for bigger projects. But, mine is a multi function machine. Stick, AC/DC tig and 45 amp plasma cutter.

If you buy a Tig machine, get at least 200 amps. I'm impressed with this one.

http://weld.com/index.php/shop-weld-com/shop-weldcom/mr-tig-kits/mr.-tig-series-mt200-ac-dc-detail

Pretty cool😊

alpha tig

Didn't know if you had seen this over at adv rider...

I know I want one.

Larry

I have a well equipped workshop and a lot of budget equipment.

I have a Chinese MIG that cost £250/$420. Its physically big like a commercial set, Euro torch and has pulse, spot etc. I have had a lot of MIGs. Had my first in 1975. This one is the best, it is awesome. In 2 years never snagged the wire with a 10 foot torch using 0.6 mm wire, never cut out.

I have bought a wire on gun torch for £50/$80 that plugs into the Euro connector to weld aluminium. Of course it will be no good on thin sheet but a TIG is no good on thicker stuff.

Cheap Chinese Tig - I want one!

Pete

John Ranalletta

I prefer TIG and even on thicker metals it can be used for the root pass which accounts for up to 75% of the strength of the weld. I'm not very practiced as is evident.

IMG_2546.JPG

Added the SWAG Off Road HD finger brake (some assembly and welding required). SWAG

Bend video

I'm a big fan of SWAG. I have their Portaband Table, and will likely add their finger brake system to my small shop.

Thanks for the post

Johnny J

John Ranalletta

Johnny, I also have the portaband and use it daily. If you buy the accessory miter gauge add an 1/8" face to it because it extends beyond the blade which will chew it up. The saw is not self-aligning in the stand, so you have to play around with it to get a square cut.

The challenge with the finger brake is its size in that the angle iron base is very deep. If you're bending thin sheet or aluminum for brackets and shelves, I like this easy-to-build setup as well.

John

Good Information. I also appreciate the link to Kevin Caron. I'm taking welding classes and 3-d design at the local Junior College. I hope to someday create art like his.

Johnny J

John Ranalletta

sign up at weld.com. kevin posts there in the general discussion/art section and seems always eager to answer questions. i'd like to have his shop. watch his vids on 3d printing. huge stuff that takes days to lay up.

Archived