Cold weather gloves

Halfbald

Any recommendations on gloves to keep the fingers warm? My heated grips do fine for the rest of my hands. I am good down to 40 with my old pair but would like to get down a few more degrees here in NE Ohio.

I use a pair of Gerbing heated gloves but seldom have I actually needed to hook them up. Mine are probably 4 years old now and looking at Gerbing's product offerings now, they have expanded their glove line considerably. Worth a look.

Good Luck!

BMW Pro Winter gloves. Or whatever the BMW top of the line glove is called nowadays. The last couple of versions have always been tops.

As always, you get what you pay for.

They are waterproof, last a long time and are not the size of catchers mitts.

I have the garbing heated gloves myself. as noted above, around 36 - 40 heated grips and gloves are fine. below 36 I turn the hated grips on low and the gloves on low. I also have silk liners that I keep with me. many times 40 - 50 I prefer my normal riding gloves with silk liners. I really think you benefit from having all three, htd grips, htd gloves, silk liners.

After five years of toughing it out and riding down to single digits, I've finally decided to heat myself up and ordered a pair of the Gerbing T5 Hybrids. Prior to that, the hot grips and ski gloves were the trick, but that left the back of the hands, pinky and thumb getting a bit chilly. Hopefully, these Gerbing gloves will do the trick, otherwise, it's back to sucking it up.

I have some older BMW winter gloves that recently ripped (note to self: need to patch them). They are the best cold weather gloves I've ever had.

However, I still prefer thinner gloves and find that layers do wonders in the cold I've never had heated anything (and I do ride through snowy areas regularly, despite the fact that I live in San Diego).

I use the Freeze-out glove liners, which I purchased from Cycle Gear. However, they do make my gloves a bit tight, and those silk ones look nice.

http://www.cyclegear.com/FREEZE-OUT-Inner-Glove-Liners

You can always stop and hold your hands on the exhaust canister or cylinder heads. Poor-man's glove warmers...

OK guys, I've gone a different route for keeping my hands warm even in really cold temps...high 20's. I use Hippo Hands, and have been for over 30 years. Not the shorties but the full length HH's. With them and my heated grips on low, I wear summer gloves inside to better feel the controls, which you just have to memorize. Tip: make sure the front part of the HH's are tight with no air leaks to stop any pass-through of cold air.

I realize this is not a popular alternative, but they flat out work. Just food for thought.

We used various gauntlets on our snowmachines for years, and my wife uses some fancy neoprene European version on her Vespa - though I've never tried them on a "real" motorcycle :)

I have to say, they are really the best way to handle soggy or very cold conditions without compromising dexterity (either by using very thick gloves, or using gloves that permit your hands to become chilled and thus impaired). I with the heated grips and throttle, I was good down to well below freezing with them and just a pair of work gloves - for temps in the -30 range (F), I would move up to thicker gloves, but mostly so my hands wouldn't get instantly chilled when I had to do something other than hold onto the bars.

That said, I know most of you are far too stylish to sport something like that on your bikes :)

I kick myself every time I think about the fact that I held on to a perfectly good pair of Hippo Hands for 20 years, and then threw them away because I hadn't ridden in 15 years. Then five years later, I bought the RT, and when I went to ride in the cold, found that they were no longer available. :dopeslap:

Gerbings have been a godsend for me, as the heated grips only take care of the inside of my hand, not the top where the wind is taking away the body heat.

Layers.

W/out electric, silk/insulated waterproof. I have Olympia leather that work great, but in the wet, they get wet.

Also an Olympia insulated waterproof in hi viz that work great.

And, a First Gear (Voyager/?) that work well in cold and wet.

I carry 2 or more in the cold becasue if you really get soaked, you'll need them.

Then I have Aerostitch triple digit rain gloves that will go oaver any of them to add even more wind protection, conserve heat, extend dry.

Then there are Gerbings.

They are the best for adding warmth and conserving body energy.

Mine are not waterproof leather, so if it is rain or wet snow, I add the Triple digit rain covers.

If it gets below freezing, the silk liners extend comfort zone.

Perhaps I'm wierd ( :P) but when cold and wet are part of the journey, we carry multiple cold/wet protection gloves.

Nothing is worse than cold wet hands, IMO, so we work hard to prevent that.

Some trips Beth and I have 8-10 pairs of gloves between us.

She also has a pair of Aerostitch insulated Triple digit rain gloves.

The electric gloves coupled with electric jacket liner and heated seats makes for a happy camper and enjoyable ride.

We've done single digits no problem.

YMMV

I bought the Sedici Hotwired gloves from Cycle Gear. They work REALLY well. I've already burned up one pair, but Cycle Gear swapped them out for me with no questions asked. They are a bit of a pain to wire up though, so I try to go as long as possible without using them. Grip heaters and a pair of ski gloves will get me all the way down to freezing before I go looking for the heated gloves. ;)

Archived