IGNORED

GoPro mounting ideas

ADulay

All,

To make a long story short, I need a GoPro and a way to mount it on the RTw.

I don't need to take travel videos, travel vistas, spectacular scenery or make the cover of Bike and Photo magazine.

I NEED to keep a video record of the jerks, idiots, road ragers and general unwashed moving traffic hazards who seem to surround me lately.

So, a new GoPro should work on continuous loop. Good.

Now, how to mount it? Anybody have any real world experience? I've seen some mounts that might work, but so far the one I really like is only for the GS bikes.

So, any pointers or links that I need to check out?

AD (on my head is not a viable solution)

Why not right behind the windshield? That would help protect it from bugs and stones. I've never seen the GS mount so I don't know what it looks like.

After several failed solutions I mounted mine on the handlebars using a Wunderlich MultiPod. Very stable and extended high enough for a great view of the folks you describe.

I initially attached the MultiPod with their MultiPod Adapter and that worked great until I installed Ilium Bar Backs. After I installed the Bar Backs I used the Wunderlich Vario Attachment Clamp, clamped to the Bar Backs.

Very stable platform.

Ken

By "stable" Ken, do you mean vibration free?

MB>

Mostly I meant that it stayed put. I tried several of the GoPro attachments (Gooseneck, multi-swivel) and they all vibrated out of position even with heavy torquing. I did replace the MultiPod T-Handle screws with hex heads and put a fair amount of torque on them.

I suppose the MultiPod does help some with vibration as it comes with rubber shock bushings but really can't say. I don't notice any vibration in the videos from my Hero 3+.

Ken

After several failed solutions I mounted mine on the handlebars using a Wunderlich MultiPod. Very stable and extended high enough for a great view of the folks you describe.

I initially attached the MultiPod with their MultiPod Adapter and that worked great until I installed Ilium Bar Backs. After I installed the Bar Backs I used the Wunderlich Vario Attachment Clamp, clamped to the Bar Backs.

Very stable platform.

Ken

Ken,

Do you have a photo of your GoPro set up?

I'm still divided on just how I want to mount it.

AD

Full disclosure - The only reason I went with the Multipod was it seemed to be the only option since our handlebars aren't tubular. If I would have had the Bar Backs installed first (which are tubular) I would have probably went with Ram Mount attachments. Anyway, here are some pics. I didn't have a pic of the GoPro/MultiPod/MultiPod Adapter setup but did have one with a Radar Detector on top (pic #1). Pic #2 is the setup with Bar Backs and the Vario Clamp and pic #3 is some Ram Mount parts.

DSCN1031_zps1w3pbhzb.jpgMultiPod & MultiPod Adapter

DSCN1189_zpsxvxe7x9y.jpgMultiPod & Vario Clamp

DSCN1190_zps4b9exklw.jpgRam Mount Parts

• 1 month later...
Full disclosure - The only reason I went with the Multipod was it seemed to be the only option since our handlebars aren't tubular.

The Adaptiv mount has rubber at the joints and platform which helps reduce vibration and can be mounted to the RTW handlebars. Take a peek at their part number D-01-07: http://www.adaptivtechnologies.com/adaptiv_store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=189.

Techmount has options too and good products which can mount to the handlebars in an integrated manner as well.

Ram has many clever mounting options, will help isolate vibration but don't look or feel as integrated or permanent for me.

• 2 weeks later...
This is the Wunderlich mount

Yes, I had looked at that and even the wife says it would look better than the current setup I have.

I did go with an exteral power setup so the GoPro runs as long as the bike is on. This eliminates the battery problems.

Looking at that cross bar, if you'll check the position of it, there is not all that much movement between fully lowered and raised up to a civilized height when riding.

It's looking like I'll be ordering one shortly to get rid of the "slightly modified, perfectly acceptable, kind of ugly" mounting clamp I current use.

At least the wife will stop whining about it.

AD

I fabbed a copy of the Wunderlich for a couple of bucks out of a piece of aluminum from Home Depot. Came out nice ... I tried to post a pic, but couldn't. Not sure if I haven't posted enough to have access, or I just can't attach straight from my iPad or what?

I fabbed a copy of the Wunderlich for a couple of bucks out of a piece of aluminum from Home Depot. Came out nice ... I tried to post a pic, but couldn't. Not sure if I haven't posted enough to have access, or I just can't attach straight from my iPad or what?

I saw the picture that you had posted on the other forum, so all that you need to do is copy the picture's url location from that forum and then you can use that to post here, using the "Enter An Image" icon (fourth from left).

Thanks Pad ... I figure one forum is enough. After not being able to post here, I decided there might be interest on the forum I primarially engage with (I'm kinda new on here), so I posted it up there.

Mike the Ghoul

Does having the mount and camera in front of the windshield affect the aerodynamics of the windshield at all? Does it affect how the windshield works?

Archived