IGNORED

GoPro Mount Locations

OsiTech

No pic? Where are you proposing? Have a GoPro with remote? My old GoPro doesn't have remote and think I'm going to get a SENA 10C for my spare helmet.

Pic should be showing now.

I picked up a GoPro Hero3+ Silver edition and I can connect to it via my iPhone.

I think I will use the Code3 location to mount the camera. I just need to find a suitable mount.

Before you spend a lot of time mounting, use the app to see what the go pro see's and check that the windshield isn't too much in the field of view.

I was thinking of adhering helmet mount on flat surface on front wheel cover, between the forks. Have not done it yet but it seems decent location.

Also zip tie and cable to cam housing as a safety in case mount gets undone...

I have not tried that yet, but I would think you might see some vibration from road surface in the picture if camera is mounted on an unsprung component such as the strut or front fender.

I have not tried that yet, but I would think you might see some vibration from road surface in the picture if camera is mounted on an unsprung component such as the strut or front fender.

Good point, I forgot about that. It would make recording (other than 'time lapse' perhaps) to painful to watch :D.

I have a Tachyon BikerCam mounted on my R1100RTP.

Its on the accessory shelf connected to a Ram ball.

It provides acceptable but not great video for a lot less than a GP. To get evidence quality video would take some kind of stabilized mount and much better lenses.

Its fairly easy to manage and it charges as one rides, through a USB adapter connected to the accessory port.

The Point Grey Cricket would be a possibility for someone with $$$ to spend on this, but that requires a DVR w/powered Ethernet to access the video and provide power as there is no onboard storage or battery in that camera.

Advantage is that you can add a top quality lens and get video of sufficient resolution to read a license plate or recognize a face you might want to ID later..

Kerry in Mpls

I have used the suction cup mount to attach my Hero to the plastic in front of the left-hand mirror (the part under the red arrow in the first photo above). When cleanly mounted, it is quite secure (although I always attach a short safety tether for the day when it lets go at the wrong time)

https://goo.gl/photos/1UZrBn1FmyQKgJSy5

The camera itself ends up quite a bit left of center, and the resulting videos often tend to look like I am crowding or crossing the centerline.

Here is a video I shot in Utah a while back, with the camera mounted as described above. This road was very smooth, but you can see that nearly any tiny road variation gets transmitted to the camera.

(older Hero, not very hi-res, but you get the idea)

https://youtu.be/_rb1OwZOe9k

Here is the same video, with YouTube stabilization applied. It really smooths it out, but at the expense of an occasional "elastic" effect.

https://youtu.be/yk4pZRjsVjo

Kerry

Archived