And then it just blowed up !!!!!

mrzoom

Our Bosch dishwasher just went poof, as in sparks and smoke

from the control panel.

What perfect timing with T Day in 2 days.!!!

Ok, what's good out there?? Any brands we should stay away from.??

Wife always pre washes/ rises off the big pieces before loading,

just her way. Only 2 of us so it only gets used about every 3 days.

We have a Kenmore Elite that's 15 yr old and still going strong. I had to replace the racks a few years ago but that's the only issue we've had with it. OTOH, the new ones probably aren't as good.

Your smoke & flame incident just before T-day reminds me of a similar incident we had several years ago. I was preheating the oven to bake a couple pies the evening before T-day, like at 6:00PM. The oven heating element chose that time to catastrophically fail...same deal...smoke & flames. Luckily it went out when I cut power. The local Lowes was open until 8:00 that night so we jumped in the truck and headed down and bought a new stove (the wife had her eye on one anyway), hauled it home, slid it into place, and baked the pies that night & dinner the next day on a brand the stove. A DW is probably not as vital but still...

When I was doing some research on Dishwashers last year, Bosch had the highest rating with Consumer Reports . . . Just saying. We just moved and a Whirlpool came with the house. Only used it twice, so can't say much about it.

We just sent in the registration for our new Kitchenaid KDTE254ESS, 39dBA, Pro Scrub. Info can be found on Kitchenaid.com

Quiet as advertised, cleans great and also makes a point of "do not rinse" plates in information. Was bought at Lowes for much less than list. Was able to install myself. Salesman told us one thing we didn't know about Bosch (not bashing just passing it on) evidently their internal dimensions are based on European sizes of dishes "smaller" thus the units are not able to hold as many US dishes.

Overall happy so far. Good luck!

Salesman told us one thing we didn't know about Bosch (not bashing just passing it on) evidently their internal dimensions are based on European sizes of dishes "smaller" thus the units are not able to hold as many US dishes.

Overall happy so far. Good luck!

Even our dishes are obese? Ah man- we've got problems!

:dopeslap:

Our 15 year old KitchenAid has been very reliable and gets the dishes clean without a rinsing first. The only "repair" was a computer reset once when it would not drain (see YouTube). The racks will need replacement soon due to rust but it's gone from very quiet to very noisy as time goes by (as did a GE and a Kenmore at our previous home). It's probably not worth purchasing new racks.

I was impressed with my daughter's Bosch, I had to listen very closely to hear it run while standing right next to it. But she and my wife both complained that it did not hold very much and the racks were not conveniently laid out. Two adults and two small children fill it more than once a day. We have not started shopping yet, but I hope to find another Bosch model with a better arrangement/capacity. I have noticed that the Consumer Reports ratings (and prices) vary quite a bit for different Bosch models - can't rely on brand name alone.

Bosch gets very good ratings. We have a Thermador--built by Bosch, I believe--and it's excellent. Does a great job of cleaning dishes and it's nearly silent.

Just got back from the big appliance store. Armed with info

from here and the net we went with the Kitchen Aid 254EWH.

Good reviews, in stock and will be delivered and installed

Saturday afternoon.

With the Wacky Wednesday deals we got a good price and savings

on the extended warranty too. Only about 6 people in the store

so the deal was done in 15 minutes. I was surprised at the Sat.

install.

Wife is happy. :clap:

We put a middle grade GE dishwasher in all of our homes. It has a decent decibel rating and front controls. It's pretty basic, but we've had just a couple of call backs in hundreds of installs. It cleans dishes just fine and its about 4 bills.

Really, these things are almost disposable as the cost of repair is near prohibitive unless it's an outer seal replacement, maybe. Who knows how long these things will last after the warranty period.

What is really nice about the GEs in the middle and up models is SmartDispense. Basically, you dump a whole bottle of detergent in the thing and don't have to fill the little cups every time you run it. Best feature I've seen on a dishwasher and I'd never own another without it. I'm not sure if other brands have a similar feature.

My Bosch is 18 years old. Worked perfectly all that time and no rust!

The wheels wore out on the runners just bought new ones on eBay, goid as new now.

Pete

Our Bosch dishwasher just went poof, as in sparks and smoke

from the control panel.

What perfect timing with T Day in 2 days.!!!

Could be worse. The sewer would clog up nearly every Thanksgiving at my childhood home.

Thanks for reminding me about T Day appliance tragedies.

15 years ago out hot water heater dumped all it's water

on that day!!! What a mess that was.!!

Nothing like having guests for dinner to stress-test your home. Fourteen years ago, wife & I moved into new home two weeks before T-Day. T-Day, two children visit from out of state, with spouses & five grandchildren. Kids fill Jacuzzi to enjoy the Grandma's indoor swimming pool (using up all the hot water), & all jump into the now over-filled tub, causing water to run over the sides and onto the floor and out the improperly connected overflow drain directly into the basement.

Just about got that cleaned up when ~20 of the in-laws arrived for dinner. Wife is now reporting "No hot water". "Give it time ", I say.

The bird is cooking, but the kitchen smells a little odd. First real use of a brand new oven, something's just getting hot, I think. I'm more concerned with the rapid depletion of our wine and beer stocks.

A bit later, wife is stressed & unhappy, "Still no hot water". Go downstairs to look at water heater, maybe it got wet? Looks fine, breaker is set, does not feel very warm. Hmmm...

A great commotion arises upstairs, loud voices, feet running. I head upstairs to find clouds of smoke in the kitchen - the bird has caught fire. Had a volunteer fireman in the crowd who got things quickly under control. Well, he got the fire out, anyway. Wife was not in control. She called the builder at home and basically threatened him with loss of his man parts unless he fixed things immediately.

Within the hour, the plumber and the builder had joined us. Besides the drain problem, they discover that one of the two water heater elements was bad, preventing recovery, and that the oven had not been converted from natural gas to propane.

I don't remember how we fed all those folks, but they apparently went home happy. At least, they keep coming back. Don't think I had any wine or beer left, though.

We have a Bosch and a Kenmore Elite. The top two ratings at CR last time I looked in. I'll take the Bosch for the win.

We just scrape and load.

Archived