Garmin Zumo 660 Micro SD Card?

The Rocketman

The Rocketman

Just got a Zumo 660 yesterday. Question about maximum Micro SD card size.

Garmin recommends 8GB max.

Internet says it can handle up to 32GB.

Can anyone with a 660 please confirm that a 32GB (or even a 16GB) card will work before I buy one? Tired of reading a gazillion web sites.

Thanks...

Morning Rocketman

Best answer I can give is maybe!

Just about all 8gb cards will work, most (but not all) 16gb will work & a few 32gb will work if you have the latest updates installed. (data cards have a better chance of working than camera cards but some camera cards will work)--- I can't say for sure if the GPS can use all that card though.

Unless you want to put a LOT of music on the card an 8gb should handle all of your routing storage needs.

My friend has a 660 with a 16gb card & he claims it takes a lot longer to boot now. (might be the card or all the junk he has on the card)

The Rocketman

I figure the largest .GDB or .GPX route file is right around 250k , with average size around 100k. I really don't listen to music at all, so 32GB is probably overkill. 8GB will most likely do the trick for a long time to come.

The Rocketman

Just spoke to Garmin tech support. They said they've tested their units with 4-32GB cards and they all work fine. Ended up ordering a SanDisk Ultra 16GB/Class 10 Micro SD card with SD adapter. I should be good to go. Thanks!

You made the move Larry, keep us posted on how you like it, and I assume you'll be using basecamp? I'm looking with longing at a 350 or a 390 now, my StreetPilot is on its last legs me thinks!

The Rocketman

Formatted and installed the SanDisk 16GB and its working just fine. Much more of a learning curve on this 660 than I ever anticipated, but calls to Garmin and Googling to death I learned a lot.

For example, if you want to just copy and paste .GPX files onto the SD card, rather than uploading them with BaseCamp or MapSource, you need to create 2 directories on the SD card, mimicking the same 2 directories on the 660's hard drive, called "Garmin" and under that "GPX". Then copy and paste all your .GPX files into the .GPX folder. Anything else just didn't work and this was confirmed with Garmin software support, but is not published anywhere.

If you don't do that exactly, when you power up the 660, it will not ask you "Do you want to Import new data?", and it will not find the GPX files.

Next thing I learned is you can't categorize or group routes. For example, if you create 2 folders on the SD card called "West Virginia Routes" and "Tennessee Routes" under the GPX folder referenced above, and upload 10 routes into each state's folder, when you power up the GPS, it will find 20 routes lumped together, not give you a choice to choose one state or the other, when you go into "Custom Routes".

I also learned that when you tell the GPS to "Delete Routes" under tools, it just deletes them from the GPS hard drive, not from your SD card.

Also, with respect to charging...

when the 660 is plugged into a PC via USB, there's a picture of a PC/USB cable on the GPS screen, called Mass Storage, When you see this, the unit is charging. When you have it powered up in either the motorcycle cradle, a car cradle or an AC charging adapter, I was told by the Garmin Tech guys, there's no charging indicator, but it is charging. Only time you see the battery charge indicator bars, is when its totally unplugged and you're actually running on battery. What the tech guys didn't tell me is that when it is charging via AC adapter or cradle, and you power the unit off, there's an almost invisible message that says "Battery Charging. Press power button to turn unit on." None of the many techs I spoke to told me that; in fact they said if the unit wasn't turned on, it was not charging. Not true at all.

I went and bought a genuine Garmin 660 charger, as every other charger I used at home would go from Mass Storage mode, and in about 15 seconds, the unit would re-boot and go into map mode, so I thought I needed their charger to stay in Mass Storage mode. Had to speak to the Garmin software department to confirm this, and was told otherwise from what the automotive tech support guys told me. So I'm returning their "genuine charger" and using most any 5v charger I have at home. Tried 2 of them today and they're working just fine.

Last thing of importance, unlike the 2720 unit, the 660 stores your home location as a Favorite. So after a days riding, if you want to de-clutter your 660, and delete all favorites, your home gets deleted too, and you have to re-renter your home address. When you "Delete All", you can manually check off all the ones you want to delete, and not check off home. That could be time-consuming if you had a lot of favorites uploaded as Waypoints from a few routes. What no instructions tell you is you can "Select All" for deletion, but then just un-check home, and all the rest will go away, except for home.

Oh yeah, accuracy on the 660 is nowhere near as good as the 2720. The old ones had WAAS which I think made them better. As an example, my home address is 1056. When I ask the unit "Where am I?", it tells me I'm at 1064 which is 2-300 feet away from my actual location. The 660 has a screen which tells me its accuracy was 40 feet when I did this. Tech support has no explanation for this disparity.

Last but not least (for now), I am not a Bluetooth guy, so I am using the 3.5mm stereo audio out plug that comes with the motorcycle harness. I tried 4 different 3.5mm male plugs going to my helmet speakers, and 3 of them just didn't fit right; too loose, wiggly, whatever. The one that did work was called a step plug, which has a microscopic metal base between the plug and the plastic plug housing. All 3.5mm plugs are supposed to be the same, but for some reason the bike's harness liked the step one better.

Other than these, I haven't had a chance to ride with it yet, as I just got it. Been playing around, learning, etc up until today.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, and make good use of it, but I sure hate change, and wish they'd resurrect and perfect the 2720. If not for the screen that turns foggy when its too cold or damp outside (which I've already had replaced to no avail), I'd keep that one forever.

32GB will work, but I've found that if you put more than about 5GB of MP3's on the card it can take as much as 30 minutes for the system to come to ready and start playing music. Because of that, I'm wasting most of the 32GB of space on the SD card.

32GB will work, but I've found that if you put more than about 5GB of MP3's on the card it can take as much as 30 minutes for the system to come to ready and start playing music. Because of that, I'm wasting most of the 32GB of space on the SD card.

I've seen this on my 450 with 16GB. I don't know what Garmin did/does with file format and indexing, but several GBs of music will slow down the map loading greatly.

I've seen this on my 450 with 16GB. I don't know what Garmin did/does with file format and indexing, but several GBs of music will slow down the map loading greatly.

Morning greiffster

I presume this will also work on the Z-450 & Z-660--

Back (years ago) when I was adding lots of music to my Z-550 SD card the map loading slow down/ slow boot-up was a known issue.

My personal work around was to -- use an MP-3 editing program & combine albums into single song headings (ie connect all the songs in an album as one long song then re-name to one song, or one album, name).

The Zumo didn't seem to have an issue with large MP-3 data on the SD, is was having an issue with a large number of song headings to search through.

If you usually listen to the entire album as one long play then combining all songs in an album will probably speed the boot/search process.

If you randomly play just specific songs off of many albums then this work-around is probably not an option.

Unfortunately I did all the combining work (mainly a challenge I guess) but seldom if ever listen to music as I ride (that is some of my wasted life that I will never get back)

The problem is that the device indexes the music every time it is powered on and it's got a really low power processor in it. It takes time for it to scan the library. It does help a bit to split up the music into folders with fewer songs in each folder, but it still isn't extremely fast to load.

I have a 16gb card in my 660 and it takes about a minute to load. I have all of my MP3's in separate folders for the artists. I was also told by Garmin that the 660 would only paly around 2500 songs when you set it for "Play All".

I have a 16gb card in my 660 and it takes about a minute to load. I have all of my MP3's in separate folders for the artists. I was also told by Garmin that the 660 would only paly around 2500 songs when you set it for "Play All".

That is what I have seen as well on my 450 with a few GBs of music in various folders. If you erase those mp3s and folders, I bet it loads in about 5 seconds.

• 2 months later...

Just ordered a660 Larry, prepare yourself for teaching me how to use it...If I get lost it's your fault.

I pay teachers in beer and other sundries.

It's arrived...and I've torn open all the packs, and am now playing with basecamp...I have some learnin to do, found lots of helpful videos and links, gotta master it prior to June!

Oh and is there a way to charge this thing without removing the battery cover (USB) I have two different mounts with USB connections, that snap on over the power supply points, but from what I've read and tried, they may only be for satellite traffic or something

. . .

Oh and is there a way to charge this thing without removing the battery cover (USB) I have two different mounts with USB connections, that snap on over the power supply points, but from what I've read and tried, they may only be for satellite traffic or something

I asked the same question from their support desk and was told no, you have to use the connection behind the battery cover. Which is just stupid, but there you go. If someone else has figured a way to do this without removing the battery cover, please let us (me) know.

The Rocketman

When its in the bike's cradle it will be charging, but there will be no indicator on the screen telling you its charging. When its off the bike, you have no choice but to charge it by using the USB port under the battery cover. You can charge it off any USB port or use any wall charger for that matter as long is it steps down the voltage correctly. I've been using a Monster Power Wall Charger likes this one....

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Outlets-MP-OTG300-LTOP/dp/B003TXRTNG

but think any iPhone charger will do fine. Just easier than having to tie up the PC all the time. Still gotta remove the back cover either way.

Thanks Larry. So far Ive not had much time to play but I am waiting on Garmin support to give me code to unlock the map so I can use Basecamp. Seems inconvenient not to send it in the box, and the battery cover bit...

Always new stuff to learn...I have till may to get it figured out

Archived