IGNORED

1996 R1100RT Tupperware reinstall hints for a new owner.

windwardsouth

windwardsouth

How do you line up the gas tank cover fairing hole with the hole in the tank that is 3/8" away from the tupperware hole. Can't pry it over that far. The previous owner just left the screw out. Didn't want to begin surgery before asking questions. Thanks, Ray

I think these tanks / fairings change shape as they age.

If all else fails, drift the holes in the needed direction with a Dermal tool. Be careful of the tank underneath. I did this to both of my RT's.

windwardsouth

Stan, Thanks. Will try the dremel drift. Don't think the gas lid screws will align if the misaligned fairing hole screw is put in first even loosely.

Ray

Are your screws beveled/tapered to a point on the end like the factory ones? If not maybe the original screws have been replaced by more traditional ones from a fastener store. If so grind that taper back into the screw tip. It makes a big difference getting everything to line up.

It also helps to have a screwdriver driver type of 3 mm hex so that you can push on the end yet hold the screw in proper alignment. You can't really do that with a traditional simple right angle hex key. You'll need the driver (and a 3 mm nut) to hold and grind the taper in the end of any non-original screws anyway. And wire wheel the ground end slightly to remove burrs.

You want to be extra careful of these gas tank screws and nut plates. If nothing else this stuff is so darn visible to others (very important!).

Did you remove or lift the gas tank? Previous owner?

Your gas tank may not be positioned properly. Make sure the tank is fully seated into the rubber bumper at the front and it is fully lowered into the bracket. Then you might either loosen or remove the bolt that holds down the tank. Try assembling the fairing with the tank loose so it is able to shift. If you are able to get it assembled, then the next time you remove the right side you can tighten up the bolt for the tank with the tank in the proper position.

windwardsouth

Will taper the SS screws the previous owner started to install. The problem alignment hole that is 3/8" off is in the tank cover piece that's under the side tupperware, so the tank cover hole is covered by the side cover. Just bought a T handle driver set, Thanks

Hi Windwardsouth.

Welcome to the group.

Have you got a picture. It often helps.

Sometimes you can leave the petrol tank loose, and allow it to move forward / back a little as you align up the lefthand side panel.

Then you can tighten up the rear M8 bolt on the tank and proceed with the R/H panel.

windwardsouth

Michael, Yes, removed everything to clean, change fuel filter, check why fuel gauge doesn't work, etc.

The tank bracket bolt, washers, may be the wrong ones. And of course, I put the right fairing on before I knew the left side didn't align.

Thanks for the suggestion. We will make this work!

windwardsouth

AndyS, Glad to be a part. This group has been a BIG help gaining head knowledge before I bought my first BMW, a 1996 R1100RT last Sunday with 51,280 miles. It's the Sienna Red and it's gorgeous. First ride was 170 miles from the Atlantic to the Gulf side of Florida. Can't wait to put on more miles than the 3435 miles the previous owner put on the 10 years he owned it.

Think I got it: Left side then right side so I can adjust.

Thanks for all the suggestions - gotta go riding!

I had the center piece off recently and found that I needed to have both left and right fairing panels off to be able to get the gas tank lid fasteners back in.

Ah that is a different issue though.

You should be able to get the Fuel filler cap unit on without dressing the whole bike. Were you using a new O ring or were you wrestling with a pre-used item?

This has been discussed before and there are some passionate opinions on what the problem is and how to fix it. :) Some like myself believe that over time the gas tank can expand. The distance between the front and back screw holes on the tank increases, making lining up the holes impossible, no matter how much creative dremmeling and tank shifting you can imagine.

There are three screws on each side and I only use the middle one on each side. I cut the head off the other two screws and glued them in place. I gave up trying to "make it fit," because on my bike it simply doesn't.

M2CW.

Archived