IGNORED

can an iPad run basecamp

randy

I would like to have basecamp, USA only, with me on trips. would be nice to update routes, or download that days tracks while still fresh in my mind. Any chance basecamp will run on an ipad? Thinking the 10" iPad model.

That app is just for Mac OS (computer/laptop operating system) and not Apple's iOS (mobile device operating system for phones and tablets).

No iPad - not even the new iPad Pro - has a USB port or memory card slot. There is an adapter that is sold by Apple connects to the port on an iPad and allows you connect a camera via USB. It's designed to let you import photos, but some other devices will work with it, and ebay will net you lots of listings for other non-Apple sanctioned adapters that *might* work...

I just bought a MacBook Air in order to get the functionality needed. Really doesn't take that much more room than a regular iPad, especially the new Pro model. Basecamping my way toward Alaska next summer....

I use basecamp on my Mac when I'm home but transfer the route to Pocketearth

https://pocketearth.com/#home

on my ipad and iphone. This is a great app that runs offline with turn by turn instructions over Bluetooth to my helmet. Full detailed maps for the US take about 3GB and are free to download. One can make routes or modify routes on the ipad, or phone for that matter, on the road and the changes will automatically synch between I-devices. It is very easy to create routes on the idevice, the ipad just has a bit more space. I use an ipad-mini in a water resistant case mounted on my RT's dash in place of a dedicated GPS. It uses BT to get gps data from a bad elf dongle,

http://bad-elf.com/collections/bluetooth-gps/products/be-gps-2200,

and displys my map route location etc. It also BTs music to my helmet when I want it, with pocketearth overriding when it needs to provide information. Very simple setup to my Sena.

That sounds like the setup I've been looking for. Would prefer to stick with an IOS device, rather than buying another piece of equipment. How did you mount the iPad Mini? I'm using an iPhone in a Ram Mount and there's a lot of vibration. Have you been able to reduce the vibration?

BTW, I'm still planning a trip through the Keys in mid-January.

Thanks

Ken

I have used Pocket Earth with a Bad Elf GPS and an iPhone/iPad as a SatNav for many thousands of miles on my bike and car - it just works!

But in answer to the OP, you can have Mapsource or Basecamp on your iPad screen - all you need is This

That would work, I guess, though it seems like it would be easier just to go with a netbook/MacBook Air. On the other hand, if you were traveling with an iPad anyway, this does seem like a very compact way to add a full computer to your bag. (Especially if you travel with a BT keyboard for your iPad anyway.)

Here's a fuller review of that product:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/217003-the-99-phone-sized-kangaroo-windows-10-pc-could-be-the-perfect-travel-companion

and here's your link clickable:

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/10/26/kangaroo-is-a-65-windows-10-pc-thatll-fit-in-your-pocket_n_8390318.html

I use basecamp on my Mac when I'm home but transfer the route to Pocketearth

https://pocketearth.com/#home

on my ipad and iphone. This is a great app that runs offline with turn by turn instructions over Bluetooth to my helmet. Full detailed maps for the US take about 3GB and are free to download. One can make routes or modify routes on the ipad, or phone for that matter, on the road and the changes will automatically synch between I-devices. It is very easy to create routes on the idevice, the ipad just has a bit more space. I use an ipad-mini in a water resistant case mounted on my RT's dash in place of a dedicated GPS. It uses BT to get gps data from a bad elf dongle,

http://bad-elf.com/collections/bluetooth-gps/products/be-gps-2200,

and displys my map route location etc. It also BTs music to my helmet when I want it, with pocketearth overriding when it needs to provide information. Very simple setup to my Sena.

Probably dumb question: why do you need a $199 external GPS dongle when the iPad has GPS built in? Is it a matter of better performance where cellular and wi-fi are not available?

An iPad without cellular has no gps. It has location service if connected to wifi but that's generally not the case when riding. I suppose, perhaps I'll give it a try, that the iPad could get location data from an iPhone somehow. I usually have one in my top case. This whole setup is something that just evolved over a few years as the idevice technology evolved.

Randy, one thing you can do is (archive) save your days trip to the gps unit. I do this as I settle in for the evening, saving it with today's date as the file name. When I get home I can upload and combine the whole trip into one.

saving is a nice feature the main feature is creating on the fly routes. I ride 95% off road. So I put together routes before a trip, but many times when you get to a location there are many local riders with additional information. My idea is to be able to add/integrate additional information on the fly. I should have noted this in my OP, do not really use this for street riding, almost all fire road riding. not sure I want to spend 800.00 for mac air, I use a windows/basecamp setup at home. I was thinking maybe learning basecamp on the mac if an iPad could be used. thinking maybe a cheap windows 8.1 unit might be better option.

Archived