IGNORED

varying clutch engagement

Paul Szilard - Australia

Paul Szilard - Australia

On my 2015 RT I find that the clutch bite position keeps varying. When starting it bites with the lever almost fully pulled, but later it's at the other end close to almost fully released.

Is this because of the quick shifter?

Anyone else find this?

No

You must have got air in the system or some other issue.

Take it back to the dealer.

On my 2014 the clutch engagement point never changes, hot or cold.

Yes, mine has quick shift as well.

Morning Paul

As Alfred said, it might be air entering the clutch hydraulics system as you ride (thing is, air entering usually stays even though next cold start)

Or your issue might be caused by thick or incorrect engine oil. Thick cold engine oil will allow the clutch to engage earlier than thinner hot oil does. (what engine oil are you using-- did your clutch engagement issue show up after last oil change?)

Or, possibly something going on with the clutch operating parts that allows a change in engagement as the engine heats up.

Clutch engagement is dependent on engine speed since it's centrifugally-assisted. Light springs for light clutch effort, plus centrifugal assist to clamp the plates when needed to absorb high power. Probably more noticeable as RPM (and power produced) increase.

I seldom shift over 4000 RPM so don't notice it, either that or I've adapted to it.

on my 14 with bmw 5-40 oil the clutch engages right off the grip everytimne cold and after warm up its moves out to end of stroke and stays there till next morning cold start...7600 miles

David Littlefield

The clutch engagement point on my RT changes consistently with engine temperature. The clutch is in the front, the slave cylinder is in the back. There is a 16.9" rod that runs from the slave cylinder up to the clutch. If this rod is steel differential thermal expansion between the steel rod and aluminum engine cases may be the cause. Not sure if the hydraulics in the master cylinder would correct for this.

On my 2015 RT I find that the clutch bite position keeps varying. When starting it bites with the lever almost fully pulled, but later it's at the other end close to almost fully released.

Is this because of the quick shifter?

Anyone else find this?

I noticed it on my departed 2014 RT and my 2015 GS.

Not a big fan of the machines but this issue was not much of a bother for me.

http://mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/12x15BMWR1200GS.pdf

If the link works, MCN criticizes the clutch a couple times in an otherwise glowing review a couple years back.

Pg 12 Clutch and transmission

pg 14 Last paragraph in Dave Searle's sumation.

Edited by DMilan
Paul Szilard - Australia

Good, sounds like I am not alone. Phew. It means adopting a new riding style. Having to watch when the clutch engages all the time.

Ah well, still the best bike in the world (for me), if only it had the old style of indicator switches!!!

I haven't noticed any of this. My clutch engages the same hot or cold.

Geez there is so much nick picking about this bike. Ride it, like it or change

I haven't noticed any of this. My clutch engages the same hot or cold.

Geez there is so much nick picking about this bike. Ride it, like it or change

I hear ya! GT

Good, sounds like I am not alone. Phew. It means adopting a new riding style. Having to watch when the clutch engages all the time.

Ah well, still the best bike in the world (for me), if only it had the old style of indicator switches!!!

No Paul

It doesn't change, or the change is so small that it is barely noticeable.

From the sound of it, yours appears to be "very" noticeable.

That points out that yours has an issue and the bike is under warranty....take it back and have them fix it.

I wonder if these twats have put the wrong oil viscosity in the bike.

If my very early 2014 has no issue then your 2015 certainly shouldn't either.

Edited by Alfred02

Hi Paul, you are not alone. Mine changes engagement point as well. It's been back to the dealer 3 or 4 times - they even put in a new clutch pack. The final word from BMW Oz is that it is normal - in other words, they don't have a clue why it does it. I've come to accept it now since I have better things to do than try to spend my time butting my head against a brick wall.

I also agree about the indicator switches. I find the new style less positive and have thought I'd switched it on, but actually hadn't. They also force me to move my left hand off the handle bar to operate the indicator to get around the wonder wheel.

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

Same here. I set my clutch to engage near the grip. It shifts to the extreme outward point. I'll continue to watch it and see if I can figure out when this happens. I just turned 1000 miles.

Same here. I set my clutch to engage near the grip. It shifts to the extreme outward point. I'll continue to watch it and see if I can figure out when this happens. I just turned 1000 miles.

How did you change the engagement point? BMW tech told me is could not be changed.

fellas, the clutch engagement point does vary

I noticed it on my departed 2014 RT and my 2015 GS(For Sale).

Please read...

MCN criticizes the clutch a couple times in an otherwise glowing review a couple years back.

Edited by DMilan
fellas, the clutch engagement point does vary

I noticed it on my departed 2014 RT and my 2015 GS(For Sale).

Please read...

MCN criticizes the clutch a couple times in an otherwise glowing review a couple years back.

Fellas, my doesn't. If it does it isn't noticeable.

Edited by bdfbeemer

more likely that you are an easy rider

I rode mine easy too, but the clutch float was apparent anytime I got the least bit aggressive with the go stick.

anybody lookin' for a nice GSLC?

Edited by DMilan

BDFBEEMER: How did you change the engagement point? BMW tech told me is could not be changed.

There is an adjustment wheel on the clutch lever. Push the lever away and turn the wheel. Very carefully start the bike and check the engagement point. Directions are in the owner's manual.

BDFBEEMER: How did you change the engagement point? BMW tech told me is could not be changed.

There is an adjustment wheel on the clutch lever. Push the lever away and turn the wheel. Very carefully start the bike and check the engagement point. Directions are in the owner's manual.

That just changes how close the lever is to the bar, not the engagement point.
  • 4 months later...

Took my 2016 in for the 6K service and I mentioned the clutch variation. Service Manager found the following:

Slave Cylinder Campaign 0021040000 Service bulletin 21

Rode 100 miles with no variation; hope this fixed the problem.

Under warranty :grin:

KSB - have the same complaint with the changing clutch engagement - did the service manager indicated what the scope of the Slave Cylinder Campaign was? Guessing they replaced the slave cylinder?

My dealer says the changing friction point is a characteristic of the wet clutch..............

Thanks

Thanks Karl - understand the campaign only applies to 2016 models - apparently a defective seal allowing a fluid leak.

Don't know what changed in the slave cylinder between 2015 and 2016 though..............

Check your oil level - BMW has changed the spec for the reading in the sight glass - found my clutch engagement was more positive when hot when the oil level in the site glass was at the 1/2 mark hot.

• 3 weeks later...

Went back to the dealer at 9K to have the clutch issue investigated. He checked everything out and could find no problem. Of course the engagement point did not change on the short ride he took. He also sad he checked with BMW and they had no reports of this problem in their DB. I wonder how we can get this to corporate BMW? Dealer said to watch it and let him know if the symptoms, etc change. Its 100 miles to my dealer of choice so I'm not going there every day.

I checked and the engine oil is just a bit over 1/2.

THANKS for the post covering the clutch adjustment; it was SUPER.

• 4 months later...

THANKS for the adjustment procedure. However, I must be misinterpreting your directions

(Turn it in Clockwise from the perspective of the plunger to bring the lever closer to the grip when engagement starts, and turn it out (counterclockwise) to move engagement away from the grip.)

I was able to loosen the set screw and adjust the plunger w/o removing the lever assembly

I adjusted the plunger CW one turn and the engagement point moved AWAY from the grip So, I adjusted it two turns CCW and it is now CLOSER to the grip. I have the wheel set at 2. I am now pleased with the operation of the clutch. It still changes as it warms up, but at least I can now easily modulate the engagement.