IGNORED

Go Pro mount on a 2006 R1200RT

NickInSac

I am not too keen on using the sticky mounts. I keep thinking it might come off. Am I wrong to think this?

I just tried the "wrist" strap this morning. It worked ok. It was crooked the whole time. But it worked. I'd rather use some sort of hard mount. Just worried about the wind knocking this off. I'd prefer it be behind the windscreen. But at the same time, I want to put the screen down all the way and not have a camera in the screens way.

I MIGHT put it on the dash. But, it seems the stickies are the only way to make this happen. I have a wunderlick (I think) mount for my zumo there now tho. This seems to get in the way. Ideally, I will be able to use the Zumo Navi and the Camera at the same time. Meaning, I didn't want to pull down the Zumo mount or use the Zumo mount to put the camera there.

Where have you all mounted your camera?

TIA!

I have a 2007 RT and I use some products from Techmounts. Go to their website and see if these products will work for you, I use their mirror mount, Item #421004 along with their Gopro accessory, Item #4-GOPRO. It allows the GoPro to have a clear shot of the road, although the camera shot includes some of the windscreen. I also bought the GoPro remote control device and using Velcro, attached it to the driver's side of the clutch reservoir to allow me ease of use. That way I do not need to remove my hand from the motorcycle hand grip to activate and use the camera.

I am not too keen on using the sticky mounts. I keep thinking it might come off. Am I wrong to think this?

Probably. I have a sticky mount on my helmet and it's not going anywhere. Some people like the bike mounted cameras which is great for recording incidents that may happen in front of you. But, if you're trying to entertain, the helmet mount is a more natural position IMO.

I am going to chin mount mine similar to what TNT did on this forum. :thumbsup: PS... a helmet mount would make It easier to capture your SO on her Can Am. ;)

Proof stickies work.

Pat

I just tried the "wrist" strap this morning. It worked ok. It was crooked the whole time. But it worked. I'd rather use some sort of hard mount. Just worried about the wind knocking this off. I'd prefer it be behind the windscreen. But at the same time, I want to put the screen down all the way and not have a camera in the screens way.

I MIGHT put it on the dash. But, it seems the stickies are the only way to make this happen. I have a wunderlick (I think) mount for my zumo there now tho. This seems to get in the way. Ideally, I will be able to use the Zumo Navi and the Camera at the same time. Meaning, I didn't want to pull down the Zumo mount or use the Zumo mount to put the camera there.

Where have you all mounted your camera?

TIA!

I don't think that the sticky mount will come off, IF you make sure that the surface that you are going to put it on is very clean and dry. My issue with that sticky mount is that it's too aggressive, and if I put it on the bike, it might damage the paintwork if I want to remove the mount!

My solution, which I had used for several years now, was to go with a suction-cup mount. This way, I can mount the camera to any location that I want, to get different visual effect. Yeah, this method has a higher chance of coming off than the sticky mount, but if you are as careful as I am, then it will be fine. Make sure that the area where the suction-cup is going to go on is clean, and I wipe both the suction-cup surface and the corresponding mounting surface with soaking wet paper towel to make sure of getting rid of any grits and to provide a good suction bond. I have never had a suction-cup let go yet, but I do take the precaution of attaching a lanyard (made with large diameter mono-filament fishing leader - cheap!) to the camera and the other end to the bike, just to make sure that I don't lose a $400 camera!! :)

BTW, I made a video compilation of the visual effect of different mounting locations that I had tried on the RT. Please forgive the low-resolution of the video, because that was my very first upload to YouTube, and the video format that I had used was not supported by YouTube, and therefore it had gotten downgraded in resolution!

Pat is correct. The bike mount is stationary and the helmet mounted camera allows you more field of vision. I have a sticky mount on the top of my helmet that I use every now and then as well.

Awesome. Thanks guys. I will try the suction cup. I am leaning towards using the stickies on the gas tank or on top of the dash (if it fits). I like the idea on the chin of the helmet. I am not sure if I could get used to it though. I will try it.

I plan to connect a lanyard with a quick connect too. Looks like I need to order a few things.

Great video with the different positions - PadG

one more option, and I use mine when I off road ride, they have a chest mount strap. Very nice. Probably not useful on a street bike, but on an off road ride, where you might be standing 75% of the time a chest mount is awesome. I use to have a mount on top of my helmet, but at 6_5 and standing on the pegs I was constantly hitting tree limbs. So now it is a helmet chin mount or the chest mount.

Hello Randy,

I do have the chest mount on order. This looks like a pretty good option for me, since I plan to take it with me on my "little" bike too.

Pat is correct. The bike mount is stationary and the helmet mounted camera allows you more field of vision. I have a sticky mount on the top of my helmet that I use every now and then as well.

I used to think that helmet mount is a bad place for the POV camera, at least for me, since I move my head around a lot while riding. However, I have changed my mind on that now.....even if I will never put my GoPro on my helmet!!! :)

Early this year, I had picked up a SENA Prism that I intended for use for my 7 days of riding in Scotland. It had multitude of mounts that came with the kit, but it was the helmet mount that I was after. Nice quality video, and exceptional low profile helmet mount! Since then, I have had that camera on my helmet on every rides.

This will give you some ideas of the video quality:

Check out Migsel - www.migsel.com. I think it's the most elegant mount for a RT (I also have a 2006). It mounts just above the instrument cluster and has three mounting points designed for Ram ball mounts. I have my GPS on the left, camera in the center, phone mount on the right. The only problem - while it is attached very securely using the two screws on top of the instrument panel, the plastic body part on which is sits is not very rigid and tends to vibrate a lot at idle.

Pete

Archived