IGNORED

Follow Up To The Fuel Pump Recall

Do you remember the fuel pump recall? The one where they supposedly fixed the tendency of the fuel pump plastic flange to develop cracks and leak fuel all over the place? Turns out there was more it meets the eye.

My brother had the now infamous metal clamp put on his bike (2009 R1200GS) a few months ago.

Earlier this month the bike started leaking fuel exactly from that supposedly reinforced flange. Note the flange was sound at the time of the recall, with no cracks and no fuel leaks whatsoever.

I advised him to contact the dealer and ask for a full fuel pump replacement, not more cheap fixes.

And here's the "shocker": BMW won't cover it since according to them the metal clamp is a final fix.

Our dealer was so taken aback (embarrassed is a more apt word) by the reply they performed a full fuel pump replacement, parts and labor, out of their own pocket and will be forwarding the fuel pump, metal clamp and all, to BMW together with a request for a refund. Class act! :thumbsup:

Perhaps my brother was just plain unlucky but keep your fuel pump under a close eye. If you smell fuel, take off the tupperware, check for leaks and if you see any go to your BMW dealer and demand nothing short of a full fuel pump replacement.

Glad your brother had the A+ dealer to address his problem. My flange had no cracks either. Thanks to info I got from this board I did a preventive measure and reinforced my flange with a bunch of JB Weld. That was at a time when it looked like BMW would never acknowledge there was a problem. When it came time for the recall clamp it couldn't be installed on my bike, so I got a new fuel pump unit covered by BMW in my case. I too was well satisfied by my dealer's action. Very fortunate for BMW that some of their dealers reflect the public image for the brand when the corporate office falls short.

Custom service and support can make or break a dealer and an entire company. I would have thought that BMW understood that by now. I was encouraged to assume they did with their recalls of late. It is a good thing the dealer gets it even if they end up selling another brand of bike, they will stay in business because of these types of actions.

Custom service and support can make or break a dealer and an entire company. I would have thought that BMW understood that by now. I was encouraged to assume they did with their recalls of late. It is a good thing the dealer gets it even if they end up selling another brand of bike, they will stay in business because of these types of actions.

Our local BMW dealer is an old car one. They started selling bikes in late 2007 after the local BMW bike dealer lost its dealership franchise.

So far we cannot complain one tiny bit about how they've dealt with us, especially given what I keep hearing about other BMW dealers.

I'd really like my next bike to be a BMW just to keep dealing with them in the future and given Yamaha is no hurry to release a new and improved FJR, it might as just well be.

Archived