IGNORED

Motoport- San Marcos, CA

StuGotz

Anyone know or have firsthand experience with Motoport? Does their facility accept ride-in's and sales help which would include custom fitting and ordering? In other words do they have a sales room?

Thanks in advance.

MB>

Call or email first and schedule an appointment. I haven't been there yet... but have chatted. They have at least some stock on hand to view, but ask first if there's something specific you're interested in. Its a l o n g ride for me, but I am going!

I was measured up at a rally where Wayne had a booth. The jacket was a good fit. A year later I was near his shop, dropped in and was measured for pants, they were ready in a week.

I've put more than 100,000 miles on both, and they are the best riding gear I own.

He's on the road in the riding season, so call first.

I have tested the overpants for MCN and am testing the jacket now for ON. Absolutely top shelf, grade A, premium stuff. I will give it my highest rating ever!

-MKL

I cannot say anything about the ride-in or sales office question. I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with the owner a few years back going over measuring details and product details.

I have the mesh kevlar 3/4 jacket and mesh kevlar pants. The EXTENSIVE armor coverage is simply the most comfortable to wear of any suit I have owned. I also have two Roadcrafters to compare. If I ever crash, I hope to be in the MotoPort suit. I think it is that far ahead of anything else I have owned in protection.

It isn't a nice, tailored looking suit. The extra armor makes it look big. The Kevlar isn't all that easy to carefully taylor. But I am so ugly looks of the suit matter not....

as noted above make an appointment, but yes Wayne loves to show you his factory. I spent more time taking a tour than I did measuring. But as noted above 10 years and 100K miles and mine is still working perfectly. Not sure how he stays in business selling only one suite to a customer every 15+ years, but he seems to be doing well.

All great responses. Thanks to you all!

What of the ability of the mesh gear to provide 4 season coverage? Do the liners function as promised? Can I use this gear below freezing? In wet weather does it function?

My BMW gear is easily cleaned, all armor removable to facilitate cleaning. Is this the case with Motoport?

MB>

Anything and everything you could possibly want to know about Motoport and Aerostich riding gear can be found on ADVRider.com. You could be there for days reading reviews and commentary about Motoport.

100% yes on the liners, 4 years on in the PNW commuting every day and always dry. When it gets real cold, say below 40F, I add a heated liner. It's 4 season gear for me.

As of a few years ago, they definitely did ride-ins. You could buy off the shelf if it fit you (I did), or order custom. They're right over the hill from me, so you could stay here if you do a ride-in.

That being said, I shipped my suit to doc47 just before he went back to Africa because I wasn't using it. I had the Kevlar mesh suit, and I just found it wasn't versatile enough for me. You really need to wear the pain-in-the-ass liners if it's cool, because the whole suit is mesh. It was very stiff, and I think the fit on mine was just a bit off, because the armor gave me knee pain after half a day. And mesh is really more ventilation than you want for riding across the desert when it's 100+ degrees. I liked my Rev'It suit better, and like my current BMW Rally suit better. They both have liners, but I hardly ever need them.

What of the ability of the mesh gear to provide 4 season coverage? Do the liners function as promised? Can I use this gear below freezing? In wet weather does it function?

My BMW gear is easily cleaned, all armor removable to facilitate cleaning. Is this the case with Motoport?

MB>

I will address the cleaning first. You do NOT remove the armor from the Motoport stuff. They tell you to leave it in! I have thrown mine in the washer, then let it drip dry. Hard to beat that for convenience. Unless you have your Son spray you at the local car wash which I find very effective after certain types of riding!

I have the tailored inner liners for my mesh Motoport gear. This is the ONLY gear that I have ever owned that was 100% waterproof. And I mean waterproof. It also blocks air in cold temps nicely. I have run Gerbings heated gear under it and it done well in the 30's. BUT...the liners are bulky and add quite a bit of time to getting suited up. Thanks to the generous fit of the Motoport there is going to be room, but there comes a time I just don't like the bulk. That is where the two Roadcrafters I have get used. Especially for wet weather as the time to put on the liners is a factor as well as how warm they are ( no venting with them). If I could only have one riding suit, it would be the Motoport.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

MB

The liners will shut off all air and can get a bit cool to the touch. I usually wear a long sleeve shirt under the liners if I have to put them in. That's usually anything in the 50's for more than 15 or 20 minutes. 45 and below, a gerbings liner or sweatshirt.

Washing is easy but, you are required to use powdered detergent per Wayne (I hope I don't have this backwards).

Wayne is very accommodating to adding or moving pockets as you see a need. This can come in handy for certain doodads.

One caveat is that the mesh kevlar will eat the leather edge (?bunting?) on seats and will definitely remove, over time, the clear coat on panels near knees and shins....especially the edges and high spots.

I did a work around by having Wayne put stretch kevlar on the butt of my pants and I put 3M clear urethane on the bike where I make contact sometimes.

Note that the pant design is intended to be a tiny bit difficult. Only the right leg unzips up to the top. The left has to be stepped through. I guess this feature keeps the gear on in a bad get-off. He will add a full zipper on the left for steep price.

MB>

The garment I'm testing has TWO zip-in liners - the first is a windproof, waterproof liner which I've found works well below 50 degrees. The second is a W&S 90W heated liner, which literally zips right into the windproof liner. Works perfectly and you can ride below freezing all day long.

THAT SAID, in my opinion, the 2 liner configuration is not quite as comfortable as a dedicated winter jacket, which tends to be less unwieldy than 3 layers all zipped together.

So bottom line: If you have one jacket, and need it to be all season, don't hesitate one second to get the Motoport with the liners and all the bells and whistles. But if you have a dedicated winter jacket, don't throw it away just yet. When it gets to freezing or below, I don my Streetguard 3 with its liner, just because it's more comfy to wear due to less layers.

-MKL

MB>

That depends on the individual! I often ride in below-freezing with all liners in my Motorport Mesh Kevlar 3/4 jacket, and no heated gears. Actually, I don't own any heated clothing, and have no intentions of buying any.

Wayne is great and an appointment to see him is a must to me. Bear in mind that he will probably have a severely damaged version of the your motorcycle clothes to show you. It was not pretty when he had my exact pants and jacket to show me. They were damaged in a 35 mph get off.

The tour is worth it too. Watching that many people happily making custom clothes is very cool. I was busy getting measured and a seasoned lady rider came in with a very, very well worn Motoport outfit. Wayne explained he needed to help her and did so. She needed a minor repair and it was done for free as she waited. She puts a lot of miles on her bike(s) and the Motoport gear is her choice.

I have visited Motoport many times and each time I leave impressed. The cost of my Motoport gear gets reduced as I open the throttle on a great curve and blast out of it. I am sure I did my best to protect myself with the safest clothes.

Minor alterations are usually free or at nominal charge. I use Gerbing heated clothing and like a small loop on the jacket for the controller. They installed one for free and charged $5 for one on a second jacket. It is simply wonderful to NOT remove the armor and just throw the entire jacket, pants, gloves and liners into a big commercial washer. Thirty minutes later my stuff is brand new looking and very clean. In two hours it is dry and ready to ride. My previous gear from Olympia and Tourmaster required armor removal/re-install and I am now over that pain. By the way, remove a piece of your "armor" and bring it inside Motoport with you if you visit. The difference between either Motoport tri or quad armor and your foam will make you wonder why the foam can even be called protective in any way.

You will not win any fashion contests wearing Motoport, you will be protected, but I've seen some ' stitch one piece that won't win a fashion award either. A nephew graduates from a portion of medical school in Duluth so one of those suits may grace my closet too, we'll see.

Archived