lighting up the turns

joeb

Hi all. Some current posts got me thinking about lighting. My 03rt seems to have adequate lighting for night driving, with one exception. Lighting the turns.

Has anyone tried to address this issue. Was wondering if getting some floods or wide angle beams and then mounting them so they shine a little to the side would work. If wired to the high beam they shouldn't blind on coming traffic as high beam is dimmed. Any ideas or great thoughts ?

Any ideas or great thoughts ?

Clearwater makes some really nice LED aftermarket lights. Very expensive but worth it. I have the Darla set installed on my F800GT. They are set up to be dimmable from 5-100% when using the low beam. Full power when using the high beam.

On my '02 RT I installed (back in the day) a set of PIAA lights. The add 55 watts of aux lighting in a wide pattern to each side of the bike. The Clearwater lamps are better, brighter, and use less power.

There are less expensive LED lights out there but I like the dimmable feature.

Stan

I have PIAA's on my 1100Rs. They are mounted low on the forks. They work very well. they are low enough that they don't blind people, but they make a noticeable difference in forward and side night vision.

Saw some mount points low on the forks. Thought that they might be too low or that vibration might be an issue. Good to see they work out OK. Thanks

To light up the corners, don't aim your driving lights to the outside. You'll get better results if you cross them so that in right corners, the left lamp illuminates the right side of the road and vice versa. It's an old trick, but it works.

I have PIAA's on my 1100Rs. They are mounted low on the forks. They work very well. they are low enough that they don't blind people, but they make a noticeable difference in forward and side night vision.

Hi Birdman, can you please post a picture of your set up? I've been considering the same mounting points on my R and have been wondering how it looks. Thanks in advance.

Great stuff guys. Never thought about crossing the beams. On the mounting, I assume you mounted the lights on the short horizontal piece under the cooler ? did you drill through and use a bolt and nut ? Where did you pick up your power source ? I know the 03 doesn't have a lot of computer control, just don't want to tap into something that will mess with one of the electronically sensitive parts. Thanks JB.

I ran a heavy duty fused supply up from the battery. Clearwater provide the dimmer control and the relay.

You may want to add an on/ off switch because you don't want them on all the time. You can pick up a switched live to feed a switch. I got mine from the loom just in front of the radio.

There is a fused (15A) permanent supply at that connector (wire colour Red/white) like I say that one is live all the time.

There is a fused (4A) switched supply at the same connector (wire colour Blue / Black) only becomes available once ignition is selected 'on'.

My Lights are wired to come on when I want them.

The bracket I made, puts the lights as far rearward as I could. The bracket picks up either side, from brackets mounted on the side of the oil cooler.

The further rearward you can get the bracket the more clearance you get from the fairing side panels. The round part of the lamps clear the side panels by 2mm. They are adjusted to clear the underside of the nose of the fairing by about 5mm.

I have the lamp adjustment brackets on the outboard side of the lights to give a cleaner look. The downside to this is that the lamps will need adjusting before the final fit of the side panels.

Space is so tight, it took me a long time to fit these lights and get them how I wanted.

So bear in mind this is no quick afternoon job.

There is very little clearance between the lights and the front mudguard. So, set up is critical. It does give it a nice clean install look though.

Archived