IGNORED

Rear tire woes-not made anymore?

Matthew Miller

Matthew Miller

I have a 2001 BMW R1100RL with Metzler Z6 Roadtek tires on it. Last June I replaced my front tire and now need a rear tire for it. Here is the problem, the motorcycle dealer who does my tire changing for me told me that Metzler no longer makes the rear Z6 in my size. I use a 150/17 on the rear and can only get a 160/17. This tire is slightly wider than stock. Is there a problem with using a slightly wider tire on the rear of my bike or can I use a Metzler Z8 on the rear which comes in the correct size. I don't want to change my front tire yet as there is only 5,000 miles on it and still looks great. Thanks for your advice.

Evening Matthew

I presume your bike has spoke wheels if it uses the 17" tire?

On most BMW spoke 17" wheel R bikes the 160 should clear but that can very a little from bike to bike.

The big thing you are up against is the rear rim width.

(IF) your bike has the spoke rear wheel it is only a 4" rim (I believe), the 1100R with the cast rear is 1/2" wider (4.50") so it takes the 160x18.

Your 4" wide rear rim is really more suited to the 150x17 (you probably won't like the handling of the 160 rear tire on that narrow rim.

My personal preference would be to use the Z-8 rear in 150x17 rather than trying to use the 160 Z-6 if I couldn't find a 150x17 Z-6.

Personally I would (first) try to search the internet or other M/C tire dealers & try to find a 150 Z-6 as I (personally) like the handling of the Z-6 over the Z-8.

Matthew Miller

Thank you for your advice. I also left an email with Metzler.com asking the same question. So just to make sure there should not be a problem running a z6 up front and a Z8 in the rear, if I can not find a z6 in the correct size.

Archived