RT1150 mid range bogg

rsw931

My 05 RT1150 w/8000 miles runs great cold but when it warms up at 60 mph when you twist throttle it falls flat on its face. If you drop a gear or two it picks up and runs fine. At wide open throttle the bike does not miss a beat and at low speed it runs great When it is cold rus great all rpm,s but if you try to pass a car at 55 or 60 mph it will fall on its face until you grab another gear. I put in new plugs and thought it might be the coils but both cylinders die at mid range throttle opening. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Afternoon rsw931

Have you done a new TPS re-learn? -- if not do a new fresh TPS re-learn to eliminate that. (see red insert below)

What are you running for a CCP? Is it still the stock CCP?--if your CCP isn't stock then start by installing (or using jumpers) to get a stock CCP configuration into that bike.

The incorrect CCP can cause a mid range sag.

Otherwise, it could be a bad stick coil (difficult to test for without new (or known good) stick coils to substitute)

Could even be a cracked spark plug.

Your problem doesn't outright sound like lack of fuel flow but dropping a couple of gears can mask a lean condition so don't totally discount that. You can kind of discount a fuel delivery problem by seeing how fast the bike will run out (125mph+) tells you it is getting plenty of fuel.

TPS re-learn--

(with choke OFF)

*Remove fuse #5 for about 5 minutes, then re-install the fuse.

Then

*Switch on the ignition.

Then

*Without starting the engine, fully open the throttle twice so that

the Fueling Computer can register the throttle-valve position.

then

*Switch off the ignition.

That's it, that re-teaches the TPS where closed & open throttle is.

Thank you very much for your time. I put in new plugs and you can run it all day long at 7000 RPM in 5th gear so no fuel starvation problems and when it is cold for the first 5 miles no problem, The last BMW I had was a 1000cc w/carbs. What is CCP. I put in a new battery about a month ago when you hook and unhook the battery does that reset anything. The bike has stock every thing but I would like to change the exaust but I need to fix this problem first again I appreciate your time on this matter. Ph.931-205-0875

Thank you very much for your time. I put in new plugs and you can run it all day long at 7000 RPM in 5th gear so no fuel starvation problems and when it is cold for the first 5 miles no problem, The last BMW I had was a 1000cc w/carbs. What is CCP. I put in a new battery about a month ago when you hook and unhook the battery does that reset anything.

Morning rsw931

You REALLY NEED TO do a new TPS re-learn after any battery disconnect or battery install (that's in your riders manual under "Battery Replace")___See the TPS re-learn procedure in red in post above.

ccp_zpsrfrmegv1.jpg

____

I reset TPS as you stated and not yet had a chance to test the bike It has been raining here for the last 3 days I am a heavy equipment mechanic by trade so I appreciate your time if I can help in any way on any heavy equipment you have just ask. I will let you know if the TPS reset works.Again Thanks-steve931

I re-set TPS as per your instructions It sstill the same This is running me crazy, you can roll throttle real slow and wide open throttle runs great it just when you go to pass someone at 55 or 60 and you quick throttle it falls flat on its face. I did nothing to CCP as in your photo What is this. PS the bike has no owners manual. Thanks again Steve931

Man, sure sounds like the same issue that friend with the retired RT-P had.

It was a coil on that one.

Note he has no owners manual he may not know its a twin spark.

I re-set TPS as per your instructions It sstill the same This is running me crazy, you can roll throttle real slow and wide open throttle runs great it just when you go to pass someone at 55 or 60 and you quick throttle it falls flat on its face. I did nothing to CCP as in your photo What is this. PS the bike has no owners manual.

Morning Steve931

The CCP is the coding plug that tells the fueling computer what base fuel mapping to use. (if you have one in your fuse box you are probably good to go)

That falling flat when added power is needed is usually either lack of adequate fuel flow or lack of spark under extreme engine loading.

The lack of fuel flow could be a plugging fuel filter, or pin hole in the U shaped pressure hose inside the fuel tank, or a fuel pump problem, or????-- A GOOD quick test here is to disconnect the fuel return hose, then jump 12v to the fuel pump at the pump relay, & see if you are getting a good free flow of fuel out of the fuel return hose. (you will have to also hold the return hose quick disconnect check valve open to see flow)

On the lack of good spark test-- that is usually the stick coils (upper coils) & those are very difficult to test at home without a set of known good coils to swap in for a road test.

I inclined to believe in a weak coil because it acts-up when under a load like a bad plug does sometimes. The old plugs looked good but I put in a new set anyway. It is hard to believe that both coils would go bad at the same time and coils are expensive I am not the type to replace parts until it is fixed. I need to check them some way. I appreciate any input very much on this. Thanks

It seems if it was fuel flow it would not run at wide open throttle 7K RPMs 5th gear for as long as you want. This is killing me I believe I will just go crazy. Steve931

I might, MIGHT have a known good coil or two I can send you.

Not sure and I'm home with my feet up eating peanuts.

Email me and I'll check tomorrow .

Tri750@hotmail.com

There is/was a YouTube vid of a guy using a small boom box radio set on AM away from all music, just static and as the radio got closer to the side of the bike with the bad coil with engine running,bthe static in the radio speaker got louder.

The good coil side was unchanged . I'd not know how accurate this was, but it was interesting .

There is/was a YouTube vid of a guy using a small boom box radio set on AM away from all music, just static and as the radio got closer to the side of the bike with the bad coil with engine running,bthe static in the radio speaker got louder.

The good coil side was unchanged . I'd not know how accurate this was, but it was interesting .

Morning Tri750 / rsw931

That AM radio trick will sort of work on a blatantly bad stick coil that is arcing internally at idle but probably won't show much on a stick coil that is only breaking down under high engine loading. (you need to use the radio near the bad coil when it is actually acting up)

I have had some luck (not 100% accurate though) by taking one upper spark plug (or an old upper spark plug & opening the electrode gap to .060" then installing that on one side then riding the bike looking for the problem to re-occur at lighter throttle or lower engine loading.

Then swap that .060" plug to the other side & repeat the ride.

It takes a lot more KV to jump that .060" electrode gap under higher engine loading so can sometimes point to a weak stick coil under engine load.

You might also try the AM radio (on an off channel) with both side upper spark plugs set to .080" as that will force the coils to build a higher internal KV therefore possibly allowing internal coil arcing to occur at idle or lower engine loading.

If using the AM radio (first) makes sure the BOTH lower spark plug wires are solidly plugged into their under tank coil as those wires partially pulled out of the coil can also cause radio static.

Archived