IGNORED

My Werks Windshield Review

moshe_levy

Great Article

I have the 26 inch Werks shield and I agree with everything you said, its the best improvement I've made to my 15 RT

Dave

I'm 6'3" with a 33" inseam. And I picked up a 24" quite ride. To start with, my stock sheild was terrible for me above 65. Living in the west, that's a lot of the time. In editions to the stock never having a quite pocket (even with ear plugs) it was never clean all the way down. The wind was still breaking on my helmet despite my long torso and never provided much air to my torso in the heat. With this in mind I ordered the 24" to try first. I've only had it out once for about 1500 miles and the temps were around 30 to high 40's so far from a full test. I did run it down at times just for testing and because on better roads, I just like some wind on me. Trip had a little of everything as far as roads go. Let me say if you are taller and care more about quite than airflow (I think more rt riders than not) I would go strait for the 26". That said the 24" did provide a clean pocket for me at faster speeds but not until about 80 percent up. I have found these adjustable sheilds work better for winds, trucks, etc if you can get them working lower. I'm going to order a 26" over the winter and compare them next year but my guess is that the 24" might be my shield for July and August and the 26" the rest of the year. I do believe for most riders my size they will just be happy with the 26". As far as how it was down, it a bit hard to say do to lack of time with it but I'm confident it's also better than stock as far as the turbulence goes but no way of saying on air flow until it's hotter (a long ways away).

I also just got the shorter shield for my 2014 RT ( I am 5'9"). I think it is important to differentiate which years we are talking about here. My '07 RT had superb wind management with the stock shield...a very nice, very easily found "quiet spot". In comes the 2014 and out goes that !! So my take after a 3,000 mile trip (mostly interstates, some twisties) in October, is that the Werks screen is a terrific addition to the 2014 RT; clearly money well spent. Better than the '07 stock screen ON THE '07 bike?? Not much.

Someone must have experience with this shield and a passenger on board?

I've asked that question a few times on a few forums but to no avail. I have the BMW touring screen and my wife said it's a nice improvement for her. Works better for me also but might try the Works if i can get some good feedback.

I finally got to put in some good "passenger" time recently. We put in about 400 miles in the Texas hill country. From riding tight twisty stuff to taking on the 80 mph posted speed limit of I-10 west of Junction, Texas for a real test.

We had ridden with the stock screen, modified stock screen, and the tall ( 28.5") V Stream NC windshield before this. My wife preferred the V STrom 650 over the RT because of the turbulence she had to put up with. Only with the V Stream near all the way up, where I was looking through it all the time, did her turbulence ever get to where it was tolerable. Even then I had to put up with the "air over the microphone" noise from our bluetooth communicators. Not 100% of the time, but around traffic or any crosswind and all I hear is the wind in the microphone. Gets old fast. We were running the 26" version of the Quiet Ride this trip and the difference was surprising. Rarely heard the wind blast in the microphone, only when a gust of crosswind made it through. She said there was very little turbulence hitting here at all. Not enough that a long trip would make you notice it as bothersome. What I found surprising was that the windshield offered her a quieter, calmer ride when it was in a position that I liked as well. Previously we had to raise the screens at least to the point that I was straining a bit to see over them. That actually gave here MORE turbulence. Now the RT is the bike she wants to take on RV trips.

Disclaimer: I am the seller of the Quiet Ride. Take the review in that light, I tried to be as factual as possible. I figure others will begin posting similar experiences also.

Mike the Ghoul

I'm 5'8" and was considering the 24" but my major consideration is my passenger. We have a Corbin and it puts her higher than the oem seat. Would it be better to get the 26"?

Thanks.

mike

Mike, the 26" would be too tall for you. The 24" will do fine for the passenger as well. You just have to experiment with how high you run it to find the spot the passenger likes best.

We too have been riding Texas hill country 2-up with the 24"(first windshield he sold) wife is quite pleased we have well over 2000 miles 2-up and she likes it. Adv under camping is some pics under equipment (camping setup)

Anyway today coming west out of big bend we had big crosswind all morning and it was pretty good. Then headed north with head wind all good. Then we slabbed it a bit this afternoon 80+ with cross tail wind and no problems. We/I like it and I've tried every shield for the LC

My $.02 worth

Received mine today. Installed it at work but have only been able to run to the store and back. I can tell a difference even just at 40-50 mph. I will see how well it works on the way home at 70-85 mph.

Alan

Rec'd and installed mine yesterday. It is much better at speeds under 100 mph, can here radio up to 80 mph. Have over 300 mi yesterday and today.

However, at speeds above 100 to 120 mph, the whole bile shudders and is slightly scary which kept me from going over 120. Not too happy.

With the stock shield the bike is solid and firm up to 129 mph, so it's the new shield making the bike shudder.

You mean there is a vast improvement so long as one stays under 100mph? Meh... Doesn't sound very practical for everyday riding to me. ;-)

-MKL

Having read all the very helpful contributions to the Werks debate, I am going to order one. However I am still uncertain as to whether I should have the 24inch or the 26 inch. I am 6.1 tall with a 33 inside leg. My inclination is to go for the 24 inch, but would appreciate the views of those who have had this dilemma.

It will come down to the seat. If you are on the stock seat, the 24" will work well. If you are on an aftermarket seat, or plan to get one, the 26" would be what I recommend. The difference is in how much air will hit your helmet area when all the way down. If you need/like air on your face in hot weather or slow traffic the 24" will allow it to hit around your helmet chinbar. The 26" will be more eye level.

Great improvement. It was a blustery, rainy day yesterday here. I've always found windscreens at their least effective in these conditions but yesterday was the exception. This has to be my favorite purchase where the product outshone the hype.

For reference I'm 6' with a 34" inseem and have the seat in the high position and the 26 inch screen.

I'm 5' 11" with a 33" inseam, stock seat in the high setting. I bought the 24" shield which works great, better than I would have ever thought. If I get an RDL aftermarket seat I may also buy the 26" Werks.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note of appreciation to Terry. I ordered a 24" shield then changed it to a 26" the next day. Even though the 24" shield was just shipped, he went above and beyond to recall it and get the 26" shield to me this week prior to my leaving on Christmas vacation.

regards,

Enjoyed the review, I have less than 1k miles on mine so I haven't reached the point of going "yeah, I really need a new .... "

however I haven't found a position other than near full up that lets me keep the visor opened and I am a shorter rider so this werks shield may be a go to option

Chris,

It is a great windshield. I have put about 1k miles on mine since receiving the windshield and it is well worth it. I never really had an issue with the stock windshield but Terry's is much better.

Alan

Chris,

It is a great windshield. I have put about 1k miles on mine since receiving the windshield and it is well worth it. I never really had an issue with the stock windshield but Terry's is much better.

Alan

placed the order today...

Chris,

Alan

That's it exactly! I thought my old 06 RT was great. Now when I choose it to ride instead of my 14 with the Werks it so LOUD and COLD...

• 1 month later...

Installed a 24" tinted shield, 6', stock seat in high position. It came quickly, installed easily. Works GREAT! In low position, as Terry said, it hits the chinbar of my Arai, and with my visor up, I get a nice cooling breeze in my face at low speeds (up to 40-45 mph). At higher speeds, I raise the shield, and its all quiet, smooth, no back pressure- AMAZING compared to stock. I can keep my visor open if I want to, and it is no problem at all. As a bonus, my handlebar mounted mirrors clear this shield just fine, vs stock (where I had to grind away a notch so clear the mirror stocks at full lock). I haven't tried any other shields, and can't imagine a reason why I would. I cannot believe the difference between Terry's and stock!

• 2 weeks later...

Terry at Werks is a big help in picking the right height. I am 6"2", 34 inseam and have the high seat on my 2016 R1200RT. Terry recommended the 26" and it works great.

After all the rave reviews I sprung for a Werks windshield on my 16 RT. No real complaint with the stock screen. Hoping the Werks will give some additional functionality to the BMW's audio system with the quieter ride promised. Have tried in-helmet speakers and earbuds, but in the former case the sound was lousy and distorted (wind noise) uncomfortable (compressed my big ears). Ear buds were torture taking the helmet off and putting it on.

We'll see.

Larry

Ok, I read all the good reviews for the Werks windshield and sprung for one, the 24'" height. Got the package today and am a bit befuddled. It was shipped from a company in California, 7Jurock. The installation instructions carried their logo. They have a website. They also sell their windshield for the 1200RTWC for $40 less. Wonder if I should send it back and get one from 7Jurock. Probably won't since shipping will eat into my savings. Is Werks just reselling the 7Jurock? There's nothing on the shield or in the packaging that refers to Werks.

I think it is a Werks design manufactured by and shipped from 7Jurock. The 7Jurock shield looks different - no flip at the top.

Yes, but how do I know it is the Werks. It says nothing about Werks, no sticker, not on the box, no packing slip. What characterizes a Werks windshield? It could be a Cee Bailey for all I know. There's a $40 premium to buy the Werks and one cannot even tell if it is one. The 7Jurock screen has a flip at the top. I can't tell the difference.

Received a very fine letter fromTerry, this morning. Explained his relationship with 7NuRock. They make the shields for him and sell his shield design under their name also on their website. They are cheaper, but shipping is not included in the cost as it is buying from Terry. It was a first rate response and I am perfectly satisfied. Going to mount it today ad go for a spin.

Larry, glad you are satisfied! I know it is confusing with the 7JuRock connection, but it is the way to make this work. If you are as happy with your Quiet Ride as I am with mine, you simply won't care where it is built!

Took it out yesterday for a 50 mile test in gusty conditions. Works great! I can hear the radio at 70+ mph in the lowest position! Kind of gives the factory audio new utility. This is indeed a nice addition to the new RT's.

larry

• 5 weeks later...

I've probably got a couple hundred miles in with the Werks shield.

I, like some others here, wasn't really dissatisfied with the stock shield. I came off an '04 RS so the RTLC offers the most wind protection of any motorcycle that I've ever ridden.

Yet, the Werks is a significant improvement. I'm riding in a much smoother and quieter pocket of air.

I did ride one afternoon on the Interstate at ~80 MPH into a ~30 MPH headwind. MUCH better experience than the stock shield.

Highly recommended!

Added a Werks W/S; fantastic improvement in reduced wind noise. I can actually hear my radio when I use it. Also less buffeting. A slight amount of distortion where the shield curves, but not a problem. Highly recommended!

I so wish there was a way to demo aftermarket windshields since like helmets and seats, something that makes a major difference for one person might not for another. I understand it's impossible but if a manufacturer allowed a return if it did produce good results would have my business.

(And full disclosure: I'm currently using a Cee Bailey on my 2014 RT. I like the way it looks better than the stock one but don't find it a whole lot quieter).

• 5 weeks later...

....and to add to the written review.....this is my publication on YouTube, comparing the stock shield to Werks' shield:

Mike the Ghoul

I've had mine for a while but haven't put too many miles on it. A few 200 mile rides and some 40-50 mile rides. Back roads and interstate. I also wasn't particularly unhappy with the OEM. But this is much better. I am still looking for the sweet spot. Slightly off resting place seems to work best for me. My SO is happy too.

I'm 5'8", she is 5'0". we have a corbin seat.

And Terry is great to work with. A really nice guy.

mike

Archived