IGNORED

Rear Wheel Stains

The Rocketman

The Rocketman

Below are photos of the rear wheel of my '09RT with 26,000 miles. Every time I ride the bike, I get black stains just on the right side of the wheel. It doesn't cover the whole rim. Just in small patches.Plenty of brake pad left. No leaking I can see or feel from anything back there or anywhere on the engine/tranny. No wobbles or movement from the final drive. I changed the FD oil beginning of Spring, and whatever came out looked fine. Can't tell what it feels like. Brake dust? Gear oil? On my other bikes, some pads are notorious for brake dust. Don't know the brand on this bike, as they came this way from the PO, but think brake dust would cover the whole right side of the wheel; not just patches? Only on the one side of the rear wheel. Anyone else have this, and I hate to ask "is it normal"? Guess if I have to ask, I already know...

Any opinions are welcome. Thanks!

wheel2_zpsqyr794bj.jpg

wheel3_zpsjxrm7vrp.jpg

wheel1_zpsuprklnp8.jpg

I have a 2012. I have the same crap on my rear wheel. No leaks. All the road dirt mixed in with wet conditions works it's way back to the rear wheel. I accepted it as road dirt. On the good side the rear wheel is easier to clean than the front.

Afternoon Rocketman

Some is definitely brake dust but the smeary black gunk is probably road rubber kicked up by the front tire.

I usually get that black gunk after a freeway ride, trucks & cars put down a rubber on the road (just like a race track). Usually only on the rear wheel as the front is in the wind but the rear wheel runs in the path of the front so under-bike air currents carry the kicked up road rubber to the rear wheel.

The Rocketman

Do you think if I cleaned and lightly sanded the rear pads, it might help? Would only take a couple of minutes, but don't want to do it if you think its pointless. Plus I installed the Machineart moto front fender extender. That was on yesterday, and I still got the crud on the wheel.

Do you think if I cleaned and lightly sanded the rear pads, it might help? Would only take a couple of minutes, but don't want to do it if you think its pointless. Plus I installed the Machineart moto front fender extender. That was on yesterday, and I still got the crud on the wheel.

Afternoon Rocketman

I seriously doubt sanding the pads will help, brake dust is brake dust & certain brake pads are good at producing nasty looking brake dust.

Admittedly a long shot, but was your '09 affected by the the rear-wheel flange recall, and if it was, did you have it replaced? I had black crud on the back wheel of my '06 RT that I thought initially might be brake dust (don't recall it being just on one side, though). Turned out it was my rear-wheel flange failing -- not cracking though; the splines on the flange were wearing away against the splines on the wheel hub producing metallic dust in the process. This was about 15 months after I had bought the bike new.

Do you have any play in the rear wheel?

Archived