More Pairing Frustration

moshe_levy

So.....

Awhile ago we had a pairing thread where you guys explained how to pair my new comm (Interphone F5MC) to the RT's GPS, sat radio, and phone. As per those instructions, everything communicated through the GPS - there was no direct phone to comm pairing.

Yesterday, I took the Guzzi out for a run, and realized I wanted to answer a call but couldn't, since the pairing situation I have requires me to be near the BMW's GPS. So, I paired the phone direct to the comm. Fine.

Today I get back on the BMW, and though the GPS is still paired to the phone, I can't get anything to come though the comm except for calls. No radio. No GPS.

Before I go on a wild goose chase - any ideas?

-MKL

You probably have to unpair the headset from the phone, wait until it is paired with the GPS, and then repair the phone to the GPS.

Gotta do this when I move from one bike to the other.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see that you mentioned what kind of phone, but I'm going to assume iPhone. iPhone will pair with multiple devices and keep them stored, but it tends to connect with the most recent device it was connected to. I have my phone paired with both my Zumo and my headset - sometimes I use the Zumo, sometimes I don't, in which case I want the phone connected directly with the headset. I always turn the phone's BT off before doing anything; power up the headset; power up the device I want to connect to the headset - if it's the phone, activate BT and choose the connection. If I want the Zumo in between, power up the Zumo and let it establish the connection to the headset; then activate BT on the phone and let it connect to the Zumo. Always works.

I sure hope so Moshe! I have all of this technology on board and in my helmet and several manuals and all the different instrux on supposedly getting it all to work. It doesn't all work together; you have to give something up. Period. In the end I toss it all in a bag in favor of riding. I won't let any gadget steal riding time for sure. I have my Sena connecting to my iPhone perfectly fine...Spotify, maps, calls, audiobooks, etc. . Everything the RT has on board in terms of electronics could fall off at the next pothole for all I care. Frankly, when it requires this much effort, it tells me that it's just not ready for prime time (like PCs in the mid-80s!). Hence my agreement with your statement "Someday, there shall be an easier way......". For now, less distraction and more time on the saddle.

For what its worth...

I have the '14 RT with full electronical wizardry... the Smh-10 helmet tumor... iPhone... and Nav V.

I had a prolonged learning curve regarding the pairing process. I finally went to the You Tube video on pairing... and I actually followed the process he demonstrates. Once I did it the way the video showed the pairing process worked as it should. And it was repeatable... meaning paired every time.

FWIW, my procedure for getting set for a ride is to Power up the headset. Turn the iPhone's Bluetooth on, then turn the key to the bike- power on but no start. Once all the connections are made then start the bike. (FWIW- one of the BMW things I learned a long time ago is to let the bike do its pre-start routine... key on and let it do its thing... then hit the starter.)

I then finish putting on my gear. In about 5 seconds the lady voice in the headset announces "Media Connected", then immediately "Device Connected".

When I moved from iPhone 5s to the 6s all I did was delete the old pairing on the Nav V and the phone and re-pair the new phone to the Nav V... everything works.

It's not ready for prime time - that's for sure. At least not for the layman.

But I'm writing an article, so I need to show what CAN be done. At the moment, there are compromises galore, but I think given the rate of technological advancement, that eventually, all the whiz-bang BS on the bike will go the way of the dodo in favor of the phone.

Think about it - the phone really does do most everything you need or want. It's just a matter of a permanent display on the bike, and that would make the bike's GPS and radio completely obsolete. The phone's interface is obviously much friendlier too, and it's all voice controlled, or at least, on the way to being voice controlled.

Until then, we have this, and it is what it is.

-MKL

Just in case it might help someone... IF you have the Wet head bike with the Nav V GPS, Sena SMH-10 and Apple iPhone... this will absolutely work.

I recommend a factory reset of the Sena if it is not new out of the box. If you have tried to pair it before, then reset it...

here you go:

Just in case it might help someone... IF you have the Wet head bike with the Nav V GPS, Sena SMH-10 and Apple iPhone... this will absolutely work.

I recommend a factory reset of the Sena if it is not new out of the box. If you have tried to pair it before, then reset it...

here you go:

I assume no connect to onboard radio and sound system?

MB>

MB... not sure of your question, but...

The set-up I learned from the Youtube video DOES provide audio from the bike's system, no matter if it is regular AM/FM radio, Sirius radio or device connected via the connectors in the right-hand box. (I keep a flash drive there with about 300 mp3 tunes there.)

The navigation prompts from the Nav V play as well.

Sorry Hopz, let me pose the question differently:

Connect Sena , Nav 5, IPhone, BMW sound system together with FULL integration

and function with handlebar wonder wheel.

3 different dealers have stated that the only way possible is with BMW Bluetooth system and installed in a C3.

MB>

3 different dealers have stated that the only way possible is with BMW Bluetooth system and installed in a C3.

Well, yes... they want to sell the C3's. not that they are liars. they just do not take the time to figure it out.

It may not be possible... but I do it every time I ride*...

* what I really mean to say is once you set it correctly it will work every time.

Well, yes... they want to sell the C3's. /quote]

Perhaps 2 of the dealers. But not my local dealer. I've been there since 1979. Guess he could honestly be wrong, but when he tells me he installs BOTH the Sena and the BMW on a regular basis, he's got my attention.

I was hoping others have made this work. So far, I think you are it. That includes other riders I know locally...I haven't tried yet, but I'll give it a shot. What's the wager Mr Hops? I'm guessing we have beer in common. :grin:

MB>

I agree. What they need is a relatively universal mount in a moisture protected area on the bike (like the NAV mount area) that can power phones. Then just pair a headset w/mic to the phone and be done with it.

As it is, I just use my phone on a RAM mount, and if it starts to rain, I stop and put a Ziplock bag over it.

FYI, I just installed the recently released update on my Sena 20s. It is definitely pairing with my bike and iPhone faster and problem free.

So far, so good.

Ok, I'm new to this site but do have a Dual set of Sena 20s and a number of problems.

1. The first headset paired with my 2015 RT audio system

The second headset would not (not possible message). I paired the first and second Sena units for now but wondered if both could be paired directly to bike.

2. My Nav 5 directions are audible in headset but even though the Nav bluetooths with the phone there is no functional connectivity... E.g. No phone answering or ability to call out.

Have these topics been discussed in other posts or better yet any suggestions?

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Moleman

For another $100, the Sena BT dongle brings everything together.

SM10

There are a couple of threads on how to mate into older RTs.

Just an update. Followed Hopz/Youtube pairing instructions. 3 times.

Sena SMH10

Garmin Nav 5

Iphone 6

2015 BMW R1200RTW Comm system

Nav 5 talks to Sena with GPS instructions.

Iphone makes/receives calls, plays Itunes.

Comm system will not talk to Sena. Cannot use wonderwheel for Nav5 and cannot hear Sirius or AM/FM/USB through Sena. Cannot give instructions to Nav 5.

I'll entertain other suggestions at this juncture.

I'm going to try a BMW bluetooth system and see if I can pull it all together. Picked one up at an affordable price.

:eek:

MB>

My nav5 and iphone6 SMH10 all work together as they should. Wonder wheel works as designed on the nav5 as well. I called Sena and a tech walked me through the process while I paired everything as per instructions. My 2015 RT pairs up very smoothly now.

I always have Sena on and Bluetooth active on the I phone before turning the ignition on.

GT

My nav5 and iphone6 SMH10 all work together as they should. Wonder wheel works as designed on the nav5 as well. I called Sena and a tech walked me through the process while I paired everything as per instructions. My 2015 RT pairs up very smoothly now.

I always have Sena on and Bluetooth active on the I phone before turning the ignition on.

GT

Exactly.

No BMW comm system to Sena. No Sirius, AM, FM, USB. :mad:

MB>

I get how that works and may solve one of the issues , but the phone being blue toothed to the Nav but not recognized in Nav phone app is other concern. Also with the SM10 is there any change in using intercom? Does it operate on battery?

For MB and for coleman...

All I can say about MB's situation is that I have the exact same hardware and following the directions in the youtube video it works just an planned and needed...

For coleman... it will work as you want it to... just have to figure out what is going on... but first... find the video, follow the steps and see it that helps.

My iPhone is paired to the Nav V... my wonder wheel works with full functionality

here you go:

This one?

Tried a 4th time. Everything works except no Sirius, AM FM, USB audio to Sena.

Nav 5 ok, IPhone ok.

Anyone else have success except Hopz?

MB>

Ok ... Seems to have worked..but took quite a few tries. Now, if my rider has a Sena I communicate only between the helmets, apparently BMW doesn't permit a non-BMW headset to connect both riders...is that correct? Will setting up the communication between headsets impact the direct connection of the first unit...?

Moleman

It should not. You will pair the second Sena unit to the first.

And you'll have to cross the fingers on your left hand while repeating three times

" please pair"..., :grin:

MB>

Ok ... Seems to have worked..but took quite a few tries.

It sounds like you figured it out... BUT... for the others... My suggestion is if you attempt to set up a pairing and it does not work... then RESET... your devices before attempting to pair again.

The good news is that once you have the entire system set it seems to stay set...

Moshe, if you have the Nav5 you should be able to.

Nav5...Menu- Voice dial.

I used that to access Siri , voice dial and turn music on/off.

I'm sure other commands may work.

MB>

OK folks....just to update:

Tried again to pair BMW onboard comm, IPhone6, Sena SMH 10, and Nav5. (Yes I reset all and unpaired.) I even checked for firmware updates on ALL items on my laptop. Even tried "end around" pairing.

No dice! No Bueno!

Same results as before: Full function Nav5 to Sena, IPhone 6 to Sena; Voice directions, voice calls, phone list on Nav5 push to dial, etc. This part works great!

BUT/

No BMW onboard comm, so NO music, USB, or Aux...ZIP ZILCH NADA!!

SO///

Unpaired ALL.

Paired BMW comm, IPhone6, NAV5 to BMW bluetooth helmet system.

It all works. Works great. Speakers may be inferior to earplugs, but I'll make a jack to adapt to Al's earplugs.

I'll probably install the BMW bluetooth system in my Schuberth C3 Pro and use the Sena for my old bikes. At least for now.

Still waiting for others to tell me that their Sena SMH10 system works in totality with all I've described above.

:lurk:

MB>

mbelectric...

Maybe I did not read your earlier post clearly enough. My directions from Sena were to pair the SMH-10 to the bike.... and the iPhone to Nav 5.

I think that is the method used on the youtube video... in any case that is what I do and it works as designed.

The NavV talks to the bike in a native way- it is already connected hard wire. This provides Navigation prompts to the bike and the bike gives it to the Sena or to the speakers- your choice.

If the speakers are Off... The bike talks to the Sena headset...(you will hear all of the bike's audio such as Sirius radio, AM/FM radio, and whatever else is plugged into the wires in the right hand box... in my case I have a 2 gig mp3 thumb drive with music)...

the iPhone communicates with to the Nav V for phone in/out. You can make or receive calls.

p.s. if you have a passenger with headsets you pair the two Senas.

Moshe, if you have the Nav5 you should be able to.

Nav5...Menu- Voice dial.

I used that to access Siri , voice dial and turn music on/off.

I'm sure other commands may work.

MB>

I'll try that, but even if that works, you can't access "voice dial" on the fly. You have to reach out the screen to hit that feature. If you pair direct to the phone, it's a one button push on the comm to access Siri and make the call.

-MKL

OK, tried it. Get this:

I hit "voice dial" on the Nav V. Siri comes up. I used her to dial out successfully to a few numbers.

Next, I ask her to "play music." She does, but the sound comes out of the PHONE, not my headset. Everything's paired, no problem - so I wonder what the issue is.

-MKL

I don't have an iPhone or the Nav V, but maybe I can offer some insight. I have a Zumo 660 and a Nexus 6. Bluetooth connections on phones can be multiple types, but the two main types are a phone connection and an audio connection. On my Zumo I can connect two devices, one for audio and one for phone. My Scala Rider is connected to it as the audio device and my phone is connected as the phone device. This redirects all audio output from the Zumo to my Scala Rider and has my phone redirect all calls to the Zumo. It's sadly not possible to send audio to the Zumo from the phone as it is a phone only connection. I would suggest that you check the settings of the Nav on the iPhone and see if there is an option to share audio. If not, what you're trying to do may not be possible, and I highly doubt it is. Bluetooth can connect to multiple devices, but it can only connect to one device at a time for a particular source. That means that if the Nav unit is streaming audio to the headset it can't receive audio from the phone. It may be possible to connect the headset to the phone and the Nav unit simultaneously, this allowing you to stream calls and music from the phone and voice prompts from the Nav unit, but most likely you'll lose your voice guidance of the phone is actively streaming music. Hope that makes it clear as mud for you.

Mine works great. Hooks up every time without any problems. Be sure your bike speakers are turned off. To make a call I just tap the button on the Sena 10.

Good luck and don't give up. GT

Maybe we are asking for too much to have everything work as it should. :dopeslap:

It was just 20 years ago I didn't have any of this stuff. When comm systems came out I told myself "no way"...

I'm in deep now. No turning back.

Have a great day folks.

MB>

Archived