IGNORED

Etymotic Buyback Deal

moshe_levy

All-

My cherished Etymotic ER6i in-ear speakers finally bit the dust after 10 years. One of the wires got caught on something as I was walking with them on and frayed, killing the sound in the right bud. I called them to see what the replacement is for the ER6i (no longer available) with an emphasis on small size so it fits under the helmet. They recommended the HF5, and let me know that they have a program whereby you send the old dead headphones in for a significant discount on a new set. See http://www.etymotic.com/support/out-of-warranty-and-special-purchase-options

HF5 going for $77, as opposed to $112 on Amazon Prime. Just FYI for those interested.....

-MKL

Interesting, on this thread and related recent topics...

My own set of ER6i remain essentially as-new since having converted over to custom molded ("AZ Al's) many years ago. Those Etymotics did sound nice but for my lousy hearing, greater range of frequency response was wasted plus fit for me was less than ideal on all day rides.

Gee, maybe I should put my ER6i on the BMWST auction block??? :grin:

I tracked ER6i earphones offered on Ebay for a while...they typically sell in the $80 range with no guarantee. I sent my 10 year old set to Jay's Headphone repair service to replace the wires which had stiffened and cracked from age and exposure to the elements. He returned them in like new condition with new cables, far superior to the OEM cables for about $80. I suspect most who have broken ER6is could send them to Jay for a similar repair.

I found the newer Etymotic models protrude too far outside the ear canal and are easily dislodged when donning my helmet. Very happy to have my trusty ER6is bsck in working order.

I ordered the HF5s, which (they said) would not be a problem under a helmet, as they're the replacement for ER6i. Cost was $77 plus shipping. I'll report back here once I have them in hand.

-MKL

99% of the time failures of the ER6i are due to cable damage or fatigue. Luckily you can replace the cables all the way into the earpiece unit if you are handy with electronic microsurgery, I have done this several times.

Archived