IGNORED

boxer oilheads

jmann

Man am I hooked. I recently grabbed a 2003 1150rt-p and have done a ton of basic work on it. More routine maint than anything, but did remove second battery, and both crash bars. Also used front crash bar through fairing bracket to mount night running lights and wired them to a pd switch.

I must say, being a ww2 prop aircraft fan ( love air cooled engines), I really appreciate what bmw put into this bike. The engine is just plain sexy! and it handles great for a bike of this weight. As soon as I put a aftermarket chain tensioner on it it will be near perfect. Very fun to wrench on!

As soon as I put a aftermarket chain tensioner on it it will be near perfect. Very fun to wrench on!

Sorry, what do you mean?

Do you mean the later OEM BMW Unit:

1131 7 688 629 CYLINDER F CHAIN TENSIONER, LEFT

1131 7 656 922 PISTON LEFT

0711 9 963 308 GASKET RING - A18X22-CU

Man am I hooked. I recently grabbed a 2003 1150rt-p and have done a ton of basic work on it. More routine maint than anything, but did remove second battery, and both crash bars. Also used front crash bar through fairing bracket to mount night running lights and wired them to a pd switch.

I must say, being a ww2 prop aircraft fan ( love air cooled engines), I really appreciate what bmw put into this bike. The engine is just plain sexy! and it handles great for a bike of this weight. As soon as I put a aftermarket chain tensioner on it it will be near perfect. Very fun to wrench on!

Congratulations. After 11 years, I can still sit in the garage and admire the lines of my RT. I think it's a timeless, classic design.

Almost.....as gorgeous as my R90s. :)

RPG

After 11 years, I can still sit in the garage and admire the lines of my RT. I think it's a timeless, classic design.

Almost.....as gorgeous as my R90s. :)

I know the feeling...

i-BJ7qVKB-M.jpg

I tend to agree. I've owned, and still own several different brands of bikes with various engine configurations. This is my first BMW motorcycle and I must say there's something unique about the look and feel of a flat boxer motor. There are two other engines I would still like to experience and they are the BMW triple in a K75s and the traverse mounted V of a Moto Guzzi. I have already spotted a '93 K75s locally and I'm going to look at it this weekend. The MG will be next but are a little harder to find.

I tend to agree. I've owned, and still own several different brands of bikes with various engine configurations. This is my first BMW motorcycle and I must say there's something unique about the look and feel of a flat boxer motor. There are two other engines I would still like to experience and they are the BMW triple in a K75s and the traverse mounted V of a Moto Guzzi. I have already spotted a '93 K75s locally and I'm going to look at it this weekend. The MG will be next but are a little harder to find.

A friend I talk to at our weekly bike night got a '93(?) k75 in a medium blue that is gorgeous! Being a little smaller, more my size, it had me questioning my RS. I really like the RS now that I am comfortable with it though . . .

Hi jmann, my query was the fact that you used the word 'aftermarket'.

There is no need to go aftermarket (unless they are cheaper of course), as BMW's upgraded one is fine.

Hi all. I agree, sexy bike with great handling. Have to admit that on occasion I do sneak into garage and look at it on occasion. But I do have a question. You mention " removed the second battery ". Not familiar with a second battery. What and where is it ? Think I'll now go for a short ride.

I believe that applies to police bikes like RTPs which had two batteries to handle the extra load due to accessories, auxiliary lights, siren, etc.

I believe that applies to police bikes like RTPs which had two batteries to handle the extra load due to accessories, auxiliary lights, siren, etc.

Are the heated handgrips on my '94 1100RS a real drain on the battery/charging system? Should I not use them on shorter trips?

Thank you!

LM in KY

Are the heated handgrips on my '94 1100RS a real drain on the battery/charging system? Should I not use them on shorter trips?

Thank you!

LM in KY

No. The charging system on your R1100RS has plenty of capacity and the heated grips will not cause a problem. Use them when you need them.

R1100RS alternator output: 700W at 14V, 50 Amps.

Thank you!

LM in KY

Like Michaelr11 has said, your bike has an amazing output and you would be hard pressed to demand more than it can give. Folk are using Heated grips, seats, jackets, pants gloves, boot liners, lights, sat nav, auxilliary lights. Still the charging system meets these needs.

Just brilliant!

I started using the heated grips on my new to me 1100R a few days ago for the fist time and was wondering the same thing, especially in stop and go traffic. As folks mentioned, the alternator seems to be quite strong. They have no affect on the headlight output at idle.

Beth and I both ran Gerbings jacket liners and Gerbings heated gloves. Plus aux PIAA's, various electronics, aux brake light and LED tag frame.

Rarely used the grips w/heated gloves.

Plenty of juice.

'96 RSL.

unique to police models they had a second battery to run the police gear as well as a better alternator (850 watt) and accurate speedo and a fan that kicks on to cool oil when temps rise due to low speed or idle. as well as a few more things.

The battery does not serve any real function unless you retail police lights or other stuff, so just dead weight. located in glove box on rtp.

I will look at bmw tensioner to see as rubber chicken one seems extreme in price.

I believe you'll find that it's the same parts as from BMW, but with the convenience of coming all together. Let me know if you find a significantly better price.

I will look at bmw tensioner to see as rubber chicken one seems extreme in price.

I believe you'll find that it's the same parts as from BMW, but with the convenience of coming all together. Let me know if you find a significantly better price.

Correct. RCR parts are the BMW parts collected together for ease of ordering. If it seems extreme, it is because you are paying for BMW factory parts. Here's a past thread discussing the details - CAM CHAIN TENSIONER DISCUSSION. A quick check on Countryside BMW's site revealed a VERY slight savings (about $2) if you account for the respective shipping of both places, and only if you also factor in C-side's 12% discount. This was the same situation a few years back when I did my upgrade. I went with the RCR kit.

As a rule, you will be hard pressed find the "more reasonable" price in the BMW parts list. Strike that...you will be hard pressed to find ANY reasonable price in the BMW parts list. Still love my bike, though.

Archived