Cost To Rebuild Front Shocks

OsiTech

I can see oil weeps around the seals and a general discomfort when going over bumps.

How much shekels should I be saving up to get an indie shop to rebuild the shocks in SoCal.

Bonus on recommending a shop in the Los Angeles area.

Muchas gracias.

Osi - most folks consider the BMW factory shocks to be non-rebuildable and go for aftermarket. You don't say what bike you have, but for a good discussion on shocks you can call Ted Porter at BeemerShop in Scott's Valley (near the San Francisco Bay Area). He carries several lines.

General thinking, at least for the RT series, is that if you have say 45K on the factory shocks they're most likely ready to be replaced.

JayJay

Since this is posted in the hexheads forum, I'm going to assume that the bike is some variation of the R1200 (RT, GE, etc). Racetech will rebuild shocks on some years of the R1200RT and maybe some other variations.

Profile says: 2007 R2200RT-P

I corrected it, maybe that was wishful thinking. A 2.2 liter bike will be a handful I think but I'm sure we'll get there one day.

Osi - most folks consider the BMW factory shocks to be non-rebuildable and go for aftermarket. You don't say what bike you have, but for a good discussion on shocks you can call Ted Porter at BeemerShop in Scott's Valley (near the San Francisco Bay Area). He carries several lines.

General thinking, at least for the RT series, is that if you have say 45K on the factory shocks they're most likely ready to be replaced.

JayJay

I have a 2007 R1200RT-P with 118,000. Who knows what has gone on before my ownership.

Thanks.

I corrected it, maybe that was wishful thinking. A 2.2 liter bike will be a handful I think but I'm sure we'll get there one day.

How about 6.2 liters?

JayJay

Don_Eilenberger

You might contact EPM Performance (www.epmperf.com) - they rebuild the stock shocks, and offer may alternatives (Wilbers, Hyperpro, YSS, etc..) at many different price points.

BTW- there is only ONE front shock on any hex/cam-head (or any telelever bike) - if the leaks you see are around the fork sliders/forks - that's a different story. There are NO guts inside the forks - they just hold the wheel in place. There is some light oil in them that is simply there to provide lubrication between the slider and the fork tube. Seals are actually quite easy to replace.

If you don't have one, I'd suggest looking for a service manual - things like that are spelled out quite clearly.

How about 6.2 liters?

JayJay

Well then.........

You might contact EPM Performance (www.epmperf.com) - they rebuild the stock shocks, and offer may alternatives (Wilbers, Hyperpro, YSS, etc..) at many different price points.

BTW- there is only ONE front shock on any hex/cam-head (or any telelever bike) - if the leaks you see are around the fork sliders/forks - that's a different story. There are NO guts inside the forks - they just hold the wheel in place. There is some light oil in them that is simply there to provide lubrication between the slider and the fork tube. Seals are actually quite easy to replace.

If you don't have one, I'd suggest looking for a service manual - things like that are spelled out quite clearly.

Manual is enroute from eBay.

Thanks for the education, I didn't know them traditional shocks looking things are not shocks.

I might have seen the shock actually earlier today when I was changing headlights and parking lights.

Thanks.

I got my RPT with 65K Kms on it. About 40K miles. I found the ride harsh and hard so got both shocks rebuilt. I figured they'd been carrying a lot of weight and had worn out.

Nope, exactly the same. They must have monster springs on em or something. I replaced the rebuilt shocks with wilbers and after turning the rebound down a lot I got it where I like/trust it.

Plonking in new fork seals may stop the leak but won;t fix the ride. If you look on the Fische the RPT shocks are different from the normal shocks and I found them very harsh. Prolly cos all the lights, sirens, radios etc are gone.

[edit]

If I had that time over again I'd cough up for ohlins.

This bike is a keeper :)

I'm assuming the RPT Showa shocks have a heavier spring compared to the standard Showa RT springs to carry the weight of the lights, sirens etc. They do have a different part number in the fische.

Also the Hydraulic Spring adjuster on the rear shock has a different mounting to the bike. I had to get creative when mounting the Wilber adjuster when I got them last Ocktoberfest.

Wilbers.jpg

Archived