IGNORED

12K Service

narcosis

I finished up my 12,000 mile service this morning, having worked a bit on it over the past several evenings. It was a bit time consuming but everything went well (no left over parts, broke tabs, etc.). JVB’s video was a bargain.

All valves were in the middle of the spec range

Had to top off the coolant reservoir as it was at the minimum mark. Still haven’t been able to locate the infamous weep hole but I must be losing some at a very tiny rate.

Brake pads, front and rear, have plenty more miles to go.

Old plugs looked like everything is burning nice in the cylinders

BMSX Module had one fault code – CD845F CAN, node A, Fahrzeug-CAN, BusOff fault. I suspect it’s associated with the Clearwater CANopener but I’ll have to track it down.

Air filter wasn’t too bad but after the bike disassembly it takes to get to it, it was getting replaced.

Ken

Yes, what Moshe said... and it is in a position forward of the oil filter and higher up. Fairly small orifice... call it 1/8th of an inch. Yes, the pump was replaced.. So, this is what "Normal" looks like?

photo-2_zps9wz4ou5v.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I finished up my 12,000 mile service this morning, having worked a bit on it over the past several evenings. It was a bit time consuming but everything went well (no left over parts, broke tabs, etc.). JVB’s video was a bargain.

All valves were in the middle of the spec range

Had to top off the coolant reservoir as it was at the minimum mark. Still haven’t been able to locate the infamous weep hole but I must be losing some at a very tiny rate.

Brake pads, front and rear, have plenty more miles to go.

Old plugs looked like everything is burning nice in the cylinders

BMSX Module had one fault code – CD845F CAN, node A, Fahrzeug-CAN, BusOff fault. I suspect it’s associated with the Clearwater CANopener but I’ll have to track it down.

Air filter wasn’t too bad but after the bike disassembly it takes to get to it, it was getting replaced.

Ken

I too have the same fault code CD845F CAN, node A, Fahrzeug-CAN, BusOff fault showing up as current in my BMSX for my GS LC. Have you been able to figure this out? Why do you suspect the Clearwater lights set up? I too have a pair of Darla's on my bike. Please throw some light on this! : )) Thanks Ken

I too have the same fault code CD845F CAN, node A, Fahrzeug-CAN, BusOff fault...

I shot an email to Clearwater to see what they have to say. The reason I suspect the Darla install is because the fault seems to indicate a CANbus problem and the installation included the Clearwater CANopener. If I don't hear back from them I'll reconfigure the bike back to the stock setup and see if the fault goes away. At any rate, I haven't noticed any ill effects.

Ken

Okay, heard back from Clearwater. They were able to duplicate the fault and here's the pertinent part of their response:

Essentially, the CANopener is coming "alive" about 1/1000th of a second before the bike's computer does. This interrupts signal communication for a very brief moment. After the hiccup, the bike returns to normal, but it records the episode in memory. No ill effect remains and it does not cause any issues on the bike.

Funny that they used the same line as my previous post, "no ill effects". I was impressed that they looked into my inquiry, how quickly they got back to me, and the quality of their response. All the hallmarks of a great company.

Ken

Archived