IGNORED

Final Drive question and dealer rant

PeterSonic

Took my bike in this week for an issue that I had posted last time about a ticking sound and vibration. Anyway, I gave them a list of stuff I did prior to coming in like checking valves, checking throttle bodies with my Twin Max, etc. After a couple hours of tech time, they did a compression check, checked the valves, throttle bodies, etc. and everything was good. Basically, at this point, I'm ticked off because they haven't addressed the issue and I just did all that stuff. At this point I just want my bill.

So, when I get my bill, there are the tech guy's notes:

1. tech unable to ride bike, unsafe for road use (because I assume) 2. service reminder on (so what, it goes off after 5 seconds( 3. engine oil low in sight glass (go figure, you just had the valve covers off) 3. both tires need to be replaced ASAP (they are not even down to the wear bars yet) 4. air filter is dirty (only 5K on it and its doing its job, and 5. the biggie, final drive has excessive amount of play.

So what is excessive play on this bike? I tried to see if there was any movement sideways. It's tight. Wheel spins freely, no noise or grinding. Oil is clean, no cloudiness or filings. What am I missing here?

I just don't trust the dealer to make a fair assessment after seeing the above stuff and him not doing what I asked for. And BTW, after I got home, I had to take the left tupperware off because they didn't pull my plug for my heated jacket through to the top, and also discovered that when they took seat off, they pulled off the plug for heated seat, left the wires hanging, and left the plug somewhat under the seat. I haven't found it yet!

Morning Peter

You definitely need to find a different dealer or make peace with this one.

On your final drive question-- the spec is: 1mm or less of wheel movement measured at the wheel rim, with the final drive temperature below 35°c (95°f).

If the final drive was hot then no way to get a credible play measurement.

Best time to check play is after an all night cold soak.

You can't tell much on the 1200 final drive from the gear oil as the (usual offending crown bearing) doesn't run in the gear oil (it runs in it's own separate chamber using it's own sealed grease)

Took my bike in this week for an issue that I had posted last time about a ticking sound and vibration. Anyway, I gave them a list of stuff I did prior to coming in like checking valves, checking throttle bodies with my Twin Max, etc. After a couple hours of tech time, they did a compression check, checked the valves, throttle bodies, etc. and everything was good. Basically, at this point, I'm ticked off because they haven't addressed the issue and I just did all that stuff. At this point I just want my bill.

So, when I get my bill, there are the tech guy's notes:

1. tech unable to ride bike, unsafe for road use (because I assume) 2. service reminder on (so what, it goes off after 5 seconds( 3. engine oil low in sight glass (go figure, you just had the valve covers off) 3. both tires need to be replaced ASAP (they are not even down to the wear bars yet) 4. air filter is dirty (only 5K on it and its doing its job, and 5. the biggie, final drive has excessive amount of play.

So what is excessive play on this bike? I tried to see if there was any movement sideways. It's tight. Wheel spins freely, no noise or grinding. Oil is clean, no cloudiness or filings. What am I missing here?

I just don't trust the dealer to make a fair assessment after seeing the above stuff and him not doing what I asked for. And BTW, after I got home, I had to take the left tupperware off because they didn't pull my plug for my heated jacket through to the top, and also discovered that when they took seat off, they pulled off the plug for heated seat, left the wires hanging, and left the plug somewhat under the seat. I haven't found it yet

Sorry to here you are getting such poor service from your local (Edmonton?) dealer - unbelievably poor actually. If you have the time to get your ride 300 Km south, I have had very good service from a private BMW maintenance outfit in Calgary and would highly recommend them for their clear explanations of work done, honesty of what work needs to be done and quality outcome. The name of the place is Anderwerks.

Hey bogthebasher,

I am aware of Anderwerks in Calgary. I talked to Wanda over there last week and she suggested a few more things to check. I will trouble shoot some more before bringing it down. I am considering trailering it down once the snow comes. Hopefully that won't happen for another month or so!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Peter

Archived