IGNORED

new clutch, new noise, need advice

Shane J.

So I finally finished installing a new clutch and a used transmission into my '06 R1150RTP. I was stranded last summer a long way from home when the splines cut loose. (as an aside, it was the clutch that stripped out, although the transmission input shaft was close behind).

So I believe I did everything correctly. The bike shifts and drives just like it should even at 80 on the freeway. I noticed a strange noise at low rpms. Back at home the next day I made this video to show whats going on. I am betting I will have to pull it all apart to find the root cause but I wonder if anyone has heard this before. I posted the video up on youtube here-

https://youtu.be/JfHQsnU9Ed4

Afternoon Shane

Does it ONLY make the noise in neutral with the clutch engaged?

Does the noise go away when riding in gear (even at lower RPMs?)

Yes to #1 and mostly yes to #2. I have only done one test ride since getting it back together and that was late at night after finishing up. My tach light was out so I was guessing at rpm. I did not hear the noise before leaving on the test ride. I thought I heard a noise when I was on the freeway @70 if I had it in 6th gear but not in 5th at the same speed. On the way back I played with the gears and rpm at various speeds and could definitly hear something at lower rpm's but not at higher rpm's. When I got back to my place I could hear loud noise when I put it in neutral to park it. I made this video the next day. I want to take it out again for a test ride in the daylight but thought I would get some feedback first. The clutch is new BMW disc, pressure plate and spring plate.

Evening Shane

You did put gear oil in the trans?

It doesn't sound good but recordings don't always produce a good reference to sound issues.

You might ride it a while & see if the noise gets worse. Then, after riding a few days or a week, drain the trans gear oil into a CLEAN pan then strain the gear oil though a coffee filter or paper towel then take the coffee filter out into the sun light & see what it caught.

Well. That sounds much more than the dry clutch in neutral noise. I have heard things like that. That noise it what made me swap the trans on my 04RT. It sounds like it could be one of the bearings on the input shaft. Before you installed this trans how did the input shaft spin? Nice and smooth, or was it gritty? What I did to test this was put the trans in gear. Get a buddy to hold the clutch lever. Now rotate the wheel in gear/s. If you get knotchy or gritty feedback in the wheel, it is something in the trans.

Snowy

Doh!! Total dope slap to my head! No, I did not check the oil in the transmission. I am draining it right now and it looks like half a pint at most. I will refill it, run it 50 miles, and change it again cause it looks like it's been in there a long time. ( eBay transmission). I totally spaced this simple step. Hopefully the source of the noise and also hope there's no damage by me or the po. I did spin both shafts before installation and they felt good and smooth, I will check that again.

Changed the trans oil. No change in sound.

I have the transmission I pulled. It needs a new input shaft. Anyone know a good rebuild shop? I know rebuilding exceeds my skill and tool level.

I guess all I can do for now is ride and hope it lasts a while.

My guess is any rebuilder will tell you to STOP riding. The more you ride it the more expensive the repair gets.

On the west coast, call Ted Porter:

https://www.beemershop.com/COMPONENT_REPAIR.html

On the east coast, Tom Cutter:

http://rubberchickenracinggarage.com/

or Pete Bombar:

http://www.bombarsbeemers.com/Pages/default.aspx

These guys all do quality, knowledgeable component repair.

I have two transmission. The original one has a bad input shaft. I swapped it out for one I got off eBay. It is the eBay one that is making the noise. If I have one rebuilt it will be the original one that is not in the bike.

Changed the trans oil. No change in sound.

I have the transmission I pulled. It needs a new input shaft. Anyone know a good rebuild shop? I know rebuilding exceeds my skill and tool level.

I guess all I can do for now is ride and hope it lasts a while.

Morning Sane

Did you save the small amount of removed gear oil? If so run it through a coffee filter or paper towel & see what is in the oil.

Your audio recording sort of sounded like a dry transmission (no gear oil cushioning). Hopefully it will quiet down but if it doesn't then you will need to address that (either with another used trans or expensive rebuild of your existing transmission)

Good news! I let the bike sit overnight and just went out and started it up. The noise is gone. I went for a quick ride and it's all good. It must have just been way too dry in that transmission. It does concern me about the maintenance habits of the PO of the transmission. My fault for not checking the oil when I got it, but it looks like the oil had never been changed. I think there was enough left to prevent real damage but only time will tell. Meanwhile, I get to ride it again!

Good news! I let the bike sit overnight and just went out and started it up. The noise is gone. I went for a quick ride and it's all good. It must have just been way too dry in that transmission. It does concern me about the maintenance habits of the PO of the transmission. My fault for not checking the oil when I got it, but it looks like the oil had never been changed. I think there was enough left to prevent real damage but only time will tell. Meanwhile, I get to ride it again!

Evening Shane

Hopefully he just drained it some for shipping purposes.

It came from a shop that bought the bike for parts because a customer didn't want to fork out for some needed expensive engine repair. I doubt it was drained as that was the blackest sludge I ever drained from a transmission. I also had to use a BAH to break the drain loose. It hadn't been opened recently.

Archived