Can I buy glue to re-use Dual-Lock fasteners?

Rod C

Recently picked up a used Aeroflow headlight protector. It came with used Dual-Lock fasteners which are still stuck firmly to the cover on one side, but the other side has been peeled off the old headlight and now has no more "sticky" left.

I'm having a devil of a time finding replacement Dual-Locks. Sure, I've found some, but they are expensive. Like $20 for a set. I'm also leaving in 4 days to go on a week-long trip and it just dawned on me that I never came up with a solution.

So, is there some sort of over-the-counter, not super-specialized adhesive that I could use without running a high risk of messing up my factory headlight?

Any ideas?

I use Elmers glue to glue them to my headlamp. Just plain on white elmers glue. It won't hold forever but will hold for a pretty long while. When you have more time you can get them from Cee Bailey on line for a reasonable price.

P.S. I used blue painter tape to hold them tight overnight, then removed the tape.

Do you have a friend with an E-Z Pass toll transponder? E-Z Pass uses the dual-lock strips to hold the modules to the windshield and they mail additional sets of strips to their account holders for free. I used them when I transferred a headlight protector from one RT to another.

If you PM your address to me I'd send you a set which will fit 4 spots. They'd get out Thursday which possibly would get to you on Saturday.

Target, Walmart, almost all hardware stores (Ace, TrueValue, DoItBest) and lots of other stores around here have them. Usually in clear, but I've seen black in some of them as well.

I'd be happy to overnight you some, but it would cost more than they're worth...

So the adhesive came off instead of the velcro-type parts separating, right?

If that's the case, you could try using a heat gun on the now-exposed adhesive. That might soften it up enough to make it stick again.

Recently picked up a used Aeroflow headlight protector. It came with used Dual-Lock fasteners which are still stuck firmly to the cover on one side, but the other side has been peeled off the old headlight and now has no more "sticky" left.

So, is there some sort of over-the-counter, not super-specialized adhesive that I could use without running a high risk of messing up my factory headlight?

Any ideas?

I have tried quite a few different ones and none stick like the originals.

In the end I contacted Aeroflow and they sent me replacements free of charge!

I had a minor catastrophe at work this week (my laptop was stolen) and that required lots of late nights so I'm just now getting back to read what you guys said. Thanks for all the input!

I'll get a chance in a bit to wander around and see what my options are. Sometimes being in rural Alabama is not as awesome as it sounds. Especially when you need anything out of the ordinary. And folks around here have a very narrow definition of ordinary sometimes!

Archived