IGNORED

Making The Switch -- 1200RT To 1200 GSA

marcopolo

After 9 ½ years, and 155,000 kilometres (96,000+ miles), I reached a deal yesterday to trade in my 2006 R1200RT on a new 2015, factory-lowered GS Adventure. The dealer, Morton's in Fredericksbug VA, had one 2015 GS remaining and it was the lowered GSA.

I had been to the dealership in the middle of last week to broach the question of their taking my bike as a trade-in (a complication because it's a Canadian-spec bike). At that time, they had two 2015 GSs, a regular model and the GSA. They had an Open House on Saturday and someone rode home with the regular GS. The visit yesterday was to let them check out my RT and they confirmed that they would take it. My options then were the lowered GSA, or any one of the four 2016 GSs that they had in crates. They had a demo GS to ride, which I did, to help me decide. The owner also offered to let me take the GSA off the showroom floor for a test ride (that surprised me a bit). Obviously, I decided to take the lowered Adventure (I only discovered there was such a beast a few weeks ago when I was at the dealer in Asheville).

Surprisingly, I did not notice that much of a difference between the two bikes in terms of weight, handling etc., and I could also flat-foot the GSA (it was ever so slightly lower than the regular GS). Cost also came into play, as there was a BMW incentive on the 2015 GSA (only $750), but none on the 2016 GSs, as you might expect. The Adventure was still more expensive, but not enough to worry about. I must say, that new liquid-cooled engine is a real treat.

Another tidbit I discovered on BMW's website is that there is a $400 incentive on the purchase of a new bike if you are a member of the BMW Car Club of America. The sales guy had never heard of that one, but he checked it out while I was out on my test rides and confirmed that it was as I had suggested. They deducted an additional $400 and all I have to do is show proof of membership when I pick up the new bike (that was easy to do, as you apply online and print the membership card directly from the site, with no waiting for snail mail. It cost me $48 for a one-year membership to save $400. Pretty good return on five minutes work, I thought).

In any event, I'm looking forward to picking up the new bike in a few days and joining the GS world. All I know is that I'll be looking badass as I pull into the Starbucks parking lot. :grin:

Congrats, Mark. But check the deal on the Car Club membership again. I believe you have to be a member for XX amount of time prior to purchase. Hope I'm wrong, but I thought I heard/read that somewhere.

Congrats, Mark. But check the deal on the Car Club membership again. I believe you have to be a member for XX amount of time prior to purchase. Hope I'm wrong, but I thought I heard/read that somewhere.

Thanks, Fernando. As for the Car Club incentive, I didn't see that condition on the website, nor did the sales guy mention anything like that (and he had hard copy material in his hands). Here's the pertinent wording from the website: "Recipient must be an active BMW Car Club of America member at the time of the motorcycle delivery."

Farting with Ken and Ride Smart with Danny will do that to ya, common denominator being Craig. :grin:

Just saying.

Congratulations.

Terry

Farting with Ken and Ride Smart with Danny will do that to ya, common denominator being Craig. :grin:

Just saying.

Congratulations.

Terry

Thanks, Terry. I'll be honest, see the number of GSs/GSAs at FART in Asheville did get me thinking.

Congratulations Mark on your new bike. Best of luck and safe travels.

I hope to see you on your new bike in Helen for START 2016.

:clap::thumbsup:

Thanks. I'm planning on being there.

Good Luck, but you are going to miss that RT.

It's been a great bike that's taken me across this continent numerous times, but I'm up for something different.

Sounds exciting!

So, does this mean you will update your avatar? I've always liked the one you have.

Good question. I suppose I should at some point, but until I have a better picture than me in the Starbucks parking lot, I think I'll wait.

I made a similar change last Fall. Sold my trusty 02RT and purchased a factory lowered GS. Love the new motor and handling. Rode all over this summer. Great upgrade! Enjoy.

• 1 month later...
You guys are KILLING ME! Really, No pictures of this beautiful motorcycle? Doesn't anyone own a smart phone? HUH? GUYS? Bueller?

OK, let's see if this works (it was in the GS forum). This is the day I picked up my new bike (three weeks ago):

<a href=http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c225/marcopolo99/CFB78DA6-F754-4808-9F14-60F78C1EAC0E.jpg' alt='CFB78DA6-F754-4808-9F14-60F78C1EAC0E.jpg'>

[/img]

Since then, I've switched out the turn-signal bulbs for LED bulbs, so now the bike is completely LED. I also just ordered Clearwater Darla lights, with CanOpener3 and Billie Jr. brake light.

Hi Mark, I'm not ready to replace my '05 RT yet! But when it comes time I've started to think through would I go with another RT or the GS. Do you miss the wind/weather protection of the RT?

Hi Mark, I'm not ready to replace my '05 RT yet! But when it comes time I've started to think through would I go with another RT or the GS. Do you miss the wind/weather protection of the RT?

Let's say that I certainly notice it. I think I'll appreciate the extra air in the warm weather, and not so much in cool weather. It's the usual trade-off, I guess.

On the general question of RT, or GS, one of the things that I kept going back to was that the new RT just didn't "grab" me (for lack of a better word), but the GSA did. The reason I had never considered an Adventure before was that they were just too bloody tall for me. I practically needed a step-ladder to get on one. Only by chance did I find out very recently that there was now a factory-lowered GSA.

Congrats Mark! We met at FART, but until I saw your mug and new GSA, I didn't connect with your board name. I rode a 2015 GS this Fall, and liked it except the getting on and off part. Glad to learn about the lowered option. I'll be following along with your mods and observations as you break in and adjust.

And welcome to the 'CCA! :)

Archived