IGNORED

Driver who swerved and hit motorcycle:

Ponch

I saw this on a Pennsylvania local news station today. What some drivers don't "get" is that even though someone, on a bike or in a car, decides to do something they don't approve of; say, passing in a no-passing zone, it is not their duty to enforce the law in the manner they choose. The possibility that their gut reaction to "teach a lesson" could kill doesn't even cross their mind.

Bee-sting. I call bul&sh%t.

The Rocketman

I'm sure we've all passed cars over single or double yellow lines (when safe of course), and realize the inherent dangers of doing a double-car pass (not knowing what the 2nd car we're passing is seeing or doing), and not at all debating the bike rider's judgment (I promise), but I can't believe the restraint his friend had when talking to the idiot. If it were me, I'd have liked to rip his lungs out and bury him in the field. What a jerk....hope he does prison time bunking with Bubba, and that the riders end up OK.

I don't post much, but this news story touched a nerve. I had a car once "check" me on a pass and I had my wife with me. It WAS a passing zone with no traffic, and glad I went around wide. As I went by he just looked at me with a blank stare. Douche.

What some drivers don't "get" is that even though someone, on a bike or in a car, decides to do something they don't approve of; say, passing in a no-passing zone, it is not their duty to enforce the law in the manner they choose. The possibility that their gut reaction to "teach a lesson" could kill doesn't even cross their mind.

I've seen this sort of self-appointed sheriff in action more than once. Around these parts, when lanes are merging, some nimrod occasionally decides that vehicles passing past "X" point--often a mile or two from the merge point--can no longer be permitted to pass. They'll pull out and block people, sometimes at the very last second. It's a little surprising to me that it doesn't occasionally end very badly.

I've been "brake-checked" on occasion when on two wheels. It amazes me that people can be so self-absorbed that they'll put others' lives in jeopardy.

Been hit and run on a motorcycle, and a bicycle, and on foot, T-boned by a red light runner/exit vehicle thru windshield re-enter vehicle thru windshield.

Not once did any of the other drivers (who were caught) take responsibility for their deliberate actions.

People can be sheepheads for sure.

Hope the rider recovers and the driver learns something, but not holding my breath on the latter.

If the idiot isn't criminally charged I hope the couple files a civil suit against him. If I was on a jury and saw the video he'd be a pauper for the rest of his miserable life.

Ken

In all fairness to the motorcyclist, while he was passing on a double yellow line, it was not at an intersection. Depending on the situation, I will pass on a double yellow, but never where there is an intersection and the possibility of someone pulling into my lane. Giving a vehicle you're passing a wide berth is always a good idea, regardless of whether it's a no passing zone.

So the driver, like so many cases, will get away with a slap on the hand. But if that would have been done to a policeman on a motorcycle, he could have been, worst case, shot, best case, taken to jail. This needs to be taken more seriously. CA has been a little more aggressive to car drivers but only just!

If the idiot isn't criminally charged I hope the couple files a civil suit against him. If I was on a jury and saw the video he'd be a pauper for the rest of his miserable life.

Ken

Me too. But jury's sometimes have a negative outlook on motorcyclist's no matter how bad the crime against the motorcyclist is!!!

There is a long and short video. The first video is the 5 minute version (long version). His riding buddy talks to the driver.

This happened in Texas... I highly suspect the driver will be in deep sneakers.. I'll be amazed if he doesn't serve some time and a big fine. I've watched the video a couple of times and tried to imagine his defense. Since there was nobody in front of him, no animals, cars, spacecraft, etc, he will have a hard time explaining why he swerved especially with him repeatedly saying I don't care.

If the evidence isn't suppressed for some reason, as they say here...he is in a heap of trouble.

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/driver-who-swerved-to-hit-a-motorcycle-i-dont-care-1737184460?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+jalopnik%2Ffull+%28Jalopnik%29

Edited by Skywagon

In a lot of rural states, a dbl yellow is not a no-pass zone unless there is specifically a sign that says "no pass" accompanying the lines. Vermont and PA are two that come to mind. What shocks me the most is how casually and easily someone will visit deadly harm to another person. I mean, why? If the motorcyclist was bothering the driver, let him go around. Seconds of your time to take a life(or two). Very sad an many levels. A human life is expendable for a moment of sociopathic lust. I normally don't comment on this type of thing, but this one really bothers me for some reason.

Johnny Jetson

The asshat obviously needs some schooling in civilized behavior, and there is no excuse for risking someone else's life on a temper tantrum.

But try taking a video to the police that shows you (or your friend) well in excess of posted speed limits and passing on a double-yellow, and see if you get any sympathy.

In that same vein, Arizona has a 50% responsibility rule in civil actions of this sort, meaning after the jury finds who was at fault they then find whether the plaintiff bears some share of the blame. If they find 50%, the defendant has no liability. Again, ask the "ordinary man in his shirtsleeves" if the guy who wasn't obeying the law or wearing full protective gear bears any responsibility and see what answer you get.

Like it or not that the rider got some vigilante justice, squids like this re-enforce the exact stereotype that most of us are trying to break. The stereotype that makes so many ordinary drivers so mad (see: "Bicycle riders two abreast and claiming a lane during busy traffic" for further discussion).

I'll waste my sympathy and outrage on someone who deserves it.

UPDATE:

William Crum, 68, was arrested late Monday afternoon and charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in connection with a crash Saturday on Tin Top Highway, District Attorney Rob Christian said early Monday evening. The crash involved a car that swerved across the center line and struck a motorcycle, injuring the driver and passenger as they fell to the pavement. Christian said that each charge against Crum, if convicted, carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison. The motorcycle passenger, Debra Simpson of Granbury, was moved Monday from the ICU to a regular room at Harris Methodist Hospital. She has serious arm and leg injuries, but is listed in stable condition, according to her boyfriend Eric Sanders of Granbury. Sanders, the driver of the motorcycle, was treated at Harris for road burn, lacerations and abrasions.

Johnny Jetson

Glad to see Crum was arrested -- he deserves the whole 40 years as far as I'm concerned.

But I'm nonetheless surprised.

Throw the book at him. I'm guessing there are a lot of bikers in prison who would frown on his behavior. Hopefully they'll give him a taste of his own medicine.

video evidence of why you'll never see lane-sharing in Texas...

Paw-Paw don't like motorcicles.

First, hi Stephen. Been too long. As to the lane sharing in texas, I've had many cars and trucks pull onto the shoulder to let me pass. :wave:

and glad I went around wide.

This guy didn't get very wide.

Nor very fast, it appears. My approach is to get by before they know what happened.

Nor very fast, it appears. My approach is to get by before they know what happened.

+1

Or just enjoy the scenery and hang back.

From what I have seen the second rider that passes is usually the one that gets the worse of it. The first bike upsets the person in the car but is up the road before the figure out they are upset they were passed. So when the second bike goes to pass they get the upset attitude from the person in the car.

Alan

Ken

This.

What a stupid thing to do. I give the camera guy some real credit for not smacking his stupid ass. Hope they're both going to be ok and the idiot gets the full 40 years. Maybe then he will care.

Edited by Firenailer

Hope the rider and passenger get better quickly!

Had something similar to happen to me one time in the NC mountains. Some friends had already passed in a non-passing zone. When I came along the driver of the car moved over during my pass forcing me to the far left line with the ditch next.

For some reason he decided not to run me into the ditch and turned back into his lane. I was happy to make it out of the situation alive.

Who needs the banditos when you’ve got trial lawyers? Regardless of what happens to the criminal case he still faces civil liability. That video is bound to have gotten the attention of every injury lawyer in the region and some have no doubt contacted one or both of the victims. They will fleece William Crumm for every penny he has OJ Simpson style maxing out any insurance, attaching the house, and any other assets he may have accumulated. If and when he emerges from jail he will live the rest of his life in poverty.

Had something similar to happen to me one time in the NC mountains.

Bill - thanks for taking the time to post that.

I too had a similar incident on a 2-lane rural road. I decided to pass a tractor trailer pulling a double load. As I got even with his front trailer he swerved across the centerline a bit. My reaction was automatic: I swerved away, but quickly found myself headed for the ditch. I corrected in time and put a lot of distance between us after passing. My riding buddy behind me didn't get threatened. I can only guess at his motivation, but it was a lesson in how vulnerable a motorcyclist is compared to other vehicles on the road.

Edited by TheOtherLee

Apparently this guy has a problem with motorcyclists: "Cyclist: William Crum tried to crash my bike last week"

Edit: further Googling suggests he has a problem with everybody:"Prior to motorcyclists in Granbury, William Crum threatened the lives of two 13-year-old boys in Glen Rose"

Also he does not know when to shut up. "But Crum also added another bizarre explanation that appeared to indicate a degree of premeditation as he swerved and hit Sanders motorcycle.

“On that particular road, I’ve seen them do wheelies at 60 miles an hour, and I thought he was one of those,” Crum went on to explain. “I didn’t know there was a passenger.”

Further proof he's a fool, he's acting as his own attorney, having refused a public defender. Apparently still in jail until next Tuesday.

Edited by lkraus

IMHO - If I had someone on video doing something like this guy did, I wouldn't tell him I had it. I would let him tell all of his lies to the police and then produce the video.

IIRC the rider was also ticketed for passing in no passing zone and driving with invalid license.

In this case, Crime for Crime ;)

seesaw.jpg

Pat

I passed a stopped vehicle in which the driver had gotten out of to take a picture of some wildlife. I got pulled over (not ticketed) and was told that even under those conditions I was not allowed to pass. This was in the Black Hills.

That cop was a half idiot! Didn't ticket you, that is the other half. My question is, was it a safe passing place?

Sometimes that double line is when there is no visibility! And how come you didn't see the cop?? And did the driver get a ticket?

Anyways, i like your cote:

"The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat!!"

Looking at the driver I doubt he has 2 nickels to rub together.

Under Texas law his primary residence is exempt from seizure as is his Social Security benefits. Also any retirement funds paying out to him. Personal property up to $30,000 is also exempt. I don't think a civil lawsuit will get much out of him.

Aside from that, I would like to see the driving record of the motorcyclist. Why no motorcycle license? Does an unlicensed motorcyclist have insurance?

Edited by LarryM

in the UK double white lines are only posted on accident Blackspots or roads with lots of Bends or On the Brow of a Hill . You can legally overtake on these only if The vehicle or cycle in front is doing less than 10mph or is broken down. The law is ambiguous stating only to do so if deemed safe!

What I couldn't understand in that video is why so many of the roads are Double yellow as they appear to be long straight roads?

What I couldn't understand in that video is why so many of the roads are Double yellow as they appear to be long straight roads?

There is a trend in the US to put double yellows almost everywhere. My theory is that unless the straight is long enough for a moped to accelerate around a Ferrari, the traffic engineers don't want to encourage passing. It's easier to apply a little more paint than to defend a liability case.

There is a trend in the US to put double yellows almost everywhere. My theory is that unless the straight is long enough for a moped to accelerate around a Ferrari, the traffic engineers don't want to encourage passing. It's easier to apply a little more paint than to defend a liability case.

Same here: it's all about "discouraging" passing, even on long straights. Call it your old fashioned Nanny State at work.

And it's having exactly the opposite effect: people will now attempt overtaking everywhere because they've been conditioned to think double lines are bogus and useless and obviously police can't be everywhere at once and even them realize the idiocy of putting double lines on every straight to "educate" people.

I passed a stopped vehicle in which the driver had gotten out of to take a picture of some wildlife. I got pulled over (not ticketed) and was told that even under those conditions I was not allowed to pass. This was in the Black Hills.

And if the vehicle was broken down and it would be 2 hours for the wrecker to get there, you just sit and wait? Or a moving van that did not fit in the drive and was going to be all day? Please mister officer, would you call my boss and explain why I am going to be sitting here all day in the company car? :)

In a few rural states I've lived, PA nad VT for instance, passing on the dbl yellow is legal unless there is an accompanying sign specifically stating that stretch of road is "No Passing". IT is done to allow people to move around farm machines and such.

In a few rural states I've lived, PA nad VT for instance, passing on the dbl yellow is legal unless there is an accompanying sign specifically stating that stretch of road is "No Passing". IT is done to allow people to move around farm machines and such.

"Are you sure it was a Subaru, Officer? I would have sworn it was a Ford 9N when I went around it."

• 1 year later...